U of Chicago Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alextron

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows anything or has anything to say about the U of C program. If you're a resident there, interviewed there, rotated through there etc... any info would be great.

Thanks,

-Alex

Members don't see this ad.

After interviewing at U of C this year, I absolutely loved the program. It was number 2 on my ROL. They have a pretty extensive website that you should visit. Also, check out comments on scutwork, written by residents and students who have rotated through.

A friend of mine is an intern there, and he loves it, too. The residents seem to get along great. The PD is wonderful, and they cater alot to the residents. U of C is perhaps the second oldest EMed residency program, and thus, extremely well known. It seems to be pretty competitive program to get into. The PD said he only invites students who attended one of the top 50 medical schools, but I don`t know how true that was. The residents rotate through several different hopitals, and are exposed to a good variety of patients. They even have special lectures on medical coding, so they come out making the most money for their work.

I don`t really know what to write, so I suggest you check out their website, and again, scutwork.

Best of luck..

I wrote this on Scutwork a year and a half ago and updated here for you to view.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Schedule

Depends on the site:

U of C ER: 20 shifts/28 days as an intern (8 hour shifts during the week/12 hour shifts on the weekends); 18 shifts as a intermediate/senior resident

Luteran General ER: 18 10-hour shifts/28days as an intern; 17 10-hour shifts as an intermediate/senior resident.

Teaching

Didactics are usually held once a week on Tuesdays from 7AM to 12PM. A mix of resident and faculty presentations. Quality is variable depending on the topic and presenter. Not too different from other programs based on what I experienced on the interview trail. Most of the pearls I pick up are from sign-out rounds while in the U of C ER -- practial management points are brought up -- also at morning sign-out, the attending coming on conducts a simulated oral board case which are very helpful Other opportunities for learning are available -- system-based exams on the resident web-site with excellent explanations, journal clubs, chapter reviews

Atmosphere

Resident interactions are excellent -- many parties/socials/after-shift gatherings. Good mix of residents from different parts of the country (the residency draws applicants from all over) -- a mix of single, married, and married with children. Attending-resident relationships are excellent as well -- some showing up to the many parties/socials/after-shift gatherings. The U of C ER is old-school mainly consisting of curtain areas (the major renovation that the ER undergoes on occasion is a change of curtains). There are some plans on possibly renovation -- probably not in my lifetime though. The Lutheran General ER caters to a suburban population. It is a level 1 trauma center -- mainly blunt trauma. It just recently renovated to become a much fancier ER -- ancillary services here are pretty good. Mount Sinai ER -- renovation only a few years ago -- inner-city population -- level 1 trauma center with lots of gun/knife injuries There are a couple of harder months during the intern year when you don't have much of a life (these are off-service trauma/SICU/MICU/CCU rotations that) -- these months are career affirmation months you truly appreciate the fact that you are doing emergency medicine. Otherwise it is easy to have a life outside of the residency with many including myself, having time for a family. I have also had time to work a little on my golf game and go out at least once a week. However, still not as easy as 4th-year of medical school.

Conclusion

Reasons why I ranked U of C #1:

Helicopter experience -- an intergral part of the program -- this is a required component of the residency -- not just flying for observation -- medically responsible for patient transports and scene responses -- only emergency medicine residency with a flight program in the Chicago area

Ultrasound -- wave of the future

Research -- over 3 million dollars in NIH funding for emergency medicine (resuscitation and domestic violence) -- plenty of mentors for research experience

Moonlighting -- able to moonlight in-house at U of C in the express care area -- 12 hour shifts x $50 per hour = more money and experience

Patient population -- not limited to one hospital population -- get exposure to 3 other ERs with different patient demographics -- emergency medicine is an area where patient as well as institutional variety is essential for training

Legacy: U of C has one of the oldest EM programs in the country (always an argument as to whehter it was the 2nd or 3rd program) -- started by Peter Rosen -- alumni are everywhere and many are heads/chairs/program directors -- U of C grads have no problems finding jobs coming out of the program

3-year program -- why spend another year?

Residents -- happy

-------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

-James