U of Chicago vs Resurrection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanting any final thoughts??

Also, Thomas Jefferson vs Drexel

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was told EM is somewhat regional, so if I wanted a job in a set geographical place, I should either train there or (if I go far away) go someplace with a recognized name/reputation. I looked into Chicago with that in mind, and found in my unscientific sampling that the "big" programs in Chicago are U of C, Cook, UIC. It could be wrong, "reputation" is usually yrs behind reality and those in Chicago know best. So I didn;t apply to Resurrection. Anyhow, I really liked U of C. The training is great, people are happy, and they're strong academically but with a county feel.

Originally posted by gimmedog
I was told EM is somewhat regional, so if I wanted a job in a set geographical place, I should either train there or (if I go far away) go someplace with a recognized name/reputation. I looked into Chicago with that in mind, and found in my unscientific sampling that the "big" programs in Chicago are U of C, Cook, UIC. It could be wrong, "reputation" is usually yrs behind reality and those in Chicago know best. So I didn;t apply to Resurrection. Anyhow, I really liked U of C. The training is great, people are happy, and they're strong academically but with a county feel.
Actually this past year I rotated at Res and also rotated at UIC-toxicology with residents from Res. I know that their thrid years, as a group, were fully employed pretty early on. I agree with you that things are regional - this region (Chicago/Northern Illinois) seems to consider Res quite highly. I don't know what their reputation is in the rest of the country. If you want a job here in Chicago, I was advised (by "thrid-party" EPs - not from either program) that Res beats U of C. However, if you want a job outside of this area, especially an academic post, U of C may be a beter choice. But hey, what do I know, I'm freakin' out like everyone else...

- H