U of Cincinnati - Neurology Residency Open to St. Christopher Grads???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did the U of Cincinnati - Neurology department accept a resident graduating from St. Christopher's College of Medicine -- a unaccredited medical school claiming to be English (Luton, UK) but operating out of Senegal, Africa?? There was even a whole BBC investigation deeming them "worthless degrees" and the GMC issues PR stating they their grads could not practice in the UK.

How could such a reputable institution do this? And there are more places (mostly FM and IM)...

Members don't see this ad.

whoa it's kinda random but I know the individual you're referring to on the list from an away rotation i did at cincinnati and if you're trying to imply that he's not a competent doctor, I would keep your mouth shut. The residency directors (there are 2) at cincy probably saw that he was a very hardworking and intelligent individual and thus ranked him highly. I'm sure he had the board scores and CV to obtain an interview and that stuff is hard to fake. While many med schools (US or international) come under fire for accreditation stuff, etc, I dont think we should take away from the hard work that a lot of these students put in... While i won't be starting residency at Cincinnati this fall, I have great respect for the program and people there...

Graduates of medical schools in the World Directory of Medical Schools issued by the WHO are accepted by ECFMG for certification to train in the US after fulfilling certain criteria. If a graduate's school is not in the World Directory of Medical Schools, he can appeal to the ECFMG & his training is then looked at individually before being granted ECFMG certification. I have known a graduate from a private Indian medical (Karwad, Maharashtra back in 1994 when it wasnt recognized by MCI) school which was not recognized for training by the Medical Council of India (hence not in the WHO directory of medical schools) but was accepted for training in the US after clearing the USMLEs & appealing to the ECFMG. He is now an internal medicine attending in a prestigious university here.

The General Medical Council, UK is not a body ECFMG looks to for accepting the credentials of a medical school.

Stop spreading rumors on this forum. Let those who know what is best for a program decide whom to take & whom not to. You sound a little disgruntled.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Graduates of medical schools in the World Directory of Medical Schools issued by the WHO are accepted by ECFMG for certification to train in the US after fulfilling certain criteria. If a graduate's school is not in the World Directory of Medical Schools, he can appeal to the ECFMG & his training is then looked at individually before being granted ECFMG certification. I have known a graduate from a private Indian medical (Karwad, Maharashtra back in 1994 when it wasnt recognized by MCI) school which was not recognized for training by the Medical Council of India (hence not in the WHO directory of medical schools) but was accepted for training in the US after clearing the USMLEs & appealing to the ECFMG. He is now an internal medicine attending in a prestigious university here.

The General Medical Council, UK is not a body ECFMG looks to for accepting the credentials of a medical school.

Stop spreading rumors on this forum. Let those who know what is best for a program decide whom to take & whom not to. You sound a little disgruntled.

Sorry, but when the BBC investigates, finds "fraud", and deems degrees "worthless", when the GMC specifically says the school is NOT accredited, when several US State medical boards (including CA, NY, TX, and many others) strictly forbid licensure to their graduates, then the issue CERTAINLY rises above the level of a "rumor".

Since I have some free time, I am going to uncover and exposure these people for what its worth. I feel that we need to start doing some cleaning of existing physicians and make PDs aware so that qualified applicants don't become casualties.

Graduates of medical schools in the World Directory of Medical Schools issued by the WHO are accepted by ECFMG for certification to train in the US after fulfilling certain criteria...

With all due respect, the State Medical Board of Texas was presented with the same arguement: the school is listed in the WHO directory. Do you know what the response was??? I loved reading it:

Applicant #MB-19 indicated that both of this schools could be found in the listing of medical schools by the World Health Organization. The Committee advised Applicant #MB-19 that this was only a list of institutions and not an accrediting body.

Not surprisingly, the license was denied. The next telling statement from the Board was:

The AACRAO report submitted indicated that the education Applicant #MB-19 received from Kegezi International School of Medicine and St. Christopher's College of Medicine was not comparable to that of an accredited United States college or university.

I want to get my hands on that report, but if the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers deemed it to be "not comparable", that's after extensive research, evaluation, and thought -- final.

Here is the full transcript:

Applicant #MB-19 appeared next to discuss his medical education. Applicant #MB-19 was a student at Kigezi International School of Medicine from April 1997 to May 2000. Applicant #MB-19 then transferred to St. Christopher's College of Medicine, Senegal from which he graduated in June 2001. Although Kigezi International School of Medicine is chartered in and has it's main campus in Uganda, Applicant #MB-19 completed all of his coursework for Kigezi in Cambridge, England. The Kigezi website indicates that the school's academic dean offices in Great Britain. Applicant #MB-19 states that he transferred from Kigezi to St. Christopher's College of Medicine due to unrest in Uganda. The Kigezi website indicates that students are required to complete a minimum of 12 weeks of clinical training at Kabale Hospital in Uganda. After transferring to St. Christopher's Applicant #MB-19 did not complete any coursework in Senegal, where St. Christopher's maintains its charter. Instead he completed one course in Cambridge, England and the rest in hospitals located in Maryland, New York, Connecticut and Louisiana. Staff presented information that Applicant #MB-19's education did not constitute a centrally organized and monitored program as required by Board rule. In addition, staffed received information provided by American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. The AACRAO report submitted indicated that the education Applicant #MB-19 received from Kegezi International School of Medicine and St. Christopher's College of Medicine was not comparable to that of an accredited United States college or university. Applicant #MB-19 indicated that both of this schools could be found in the listing of medical schools by the World Health Organization. The Committee advised Applicant #MB-19 that this was only a list of institutions and not an accrediting body. Ms. Seliger moved to recommend to the full Board that Applicant #MB-19 be denied a Basic Post-Graduate Resident Permit. Dr. Tornelli-Mitchell seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion. Motion passed.

Applicant #MB-19's education did not constitute a centrally organized and monitored program as required by Board rule

Seems like he was denied a training opportunity because he jumped medical schools so many times that he was not supervised by any one school for his training period.

How can you say that everyone coming out from these schools is unworthy of doing residency here in the US? Please base you answer on facts.

Seems like he was denied a training opportunity because he jumped medical schools so many times that he was not supervised by any one school for his training period.

How can you say that everyone coming out from these schools is unworthy of doing residency here in the US? Please base you answer on facts.

Doesn't matter if he transferred schools or not, he graduate from St. Christopher's College of Medicine. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board hosts a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas. GUESS WHAT? St. Christopher's is on the list... NOT SURPRISING, it's actually illegal to use a degree from St. Christopher's in TX. I just love what they have to say:

Consonant with its responsibilities under Chapter 61 of the Texas Education Code and rules promulgated pursuant thereto, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is reviewing the current status of institutions included on this list.
"Fraudulent or substandard degree" means a degree conferred in Texas in violation of the Texas Education Code; conferred in another state in violation of that state's laws; conferred in another state by an institution that was not accredited by an accreditor recognized by the Coordinating Board and that has not been approved by the Coordinating Board for its degrees to be used in Texas; or conferred outside the United States by an institution that the Coordinating Board determines is not the equivalent of an accredited or authorized degree. (Texas Educational Code, Chapter 61, Section 61.302)
The Texas Penal Code (Section 32.52) prohibits the use of fraudulent or substandard degrees "in a written or oral advertisement or other promotion of a business; or with the intent to: obtain employment; obtain a license or certificate to practice a trade, profession, or occupation; obtain a promotion, a compensation or other benefit, or an increase in compensation or other benefit, in employment or in the practice of a trade, profession, or occupation; obtain admission to an educational program in this state; or gain a position in government with authority over another person, regardless of whether the actor receives compensation for the position." Violation of this law is a Class B misdemeanor.
Wikipedia has an excellent article on WHAT OTHER STATES think of St. Christopher here:

United States

• Alabama lists the school in a list of "Colleges of Medicine or Schools of Medicine" which are not approved by the Board for applications for certificates of qualification.[9]
  • Arkansas list the school on their list of disapproved international medical schools and graduates are unable to receive a license or accepted as residents or fellows after August 1, 2008 [10][11]
  • California does not list the school as "recognized" medical school. Per the Medical Board of California, "The education and training received at an unrecognized or disapproved medical school is not acceptable for licensure in California."[12]
  • Indiana uses California's list of recognized medical schools for the purpose of licensure, thereby making graduates similarly unlicenseable.[13]
  • Maine lists the school on their list of "Unaccredited Post-Secondary Educational Institutions".[14]
  • Oregon Office of Degree Authorization lists the school on their list of "degree suppliers that do not meet the requirements of ORS 348.609(1)."[15][16]
  • Texas lists the school on their list of "Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas" as defined by Texas Code 61.302(11).[17][18]

To add, even CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation) specifically states that St. Christopher's in NOT ACCREDITED. Many government agencies use this for educational credential evaluation, for example, the Michigan Civil Service Commission. The graduates may be competent in clinical skills/knowledge, but unfortunately, they chose to go to an unaccredited institution. No matter how great the individual is, if their credentials are suspect, their medical practice is suspect. State Boards have taken notice, and some have fallen under the radar. I wouldn't want a doctor whose medical degree was issued by a diploma mill or unrecognized/accredited methods. It is a matter of public safety to a degree.

I have to wonder why you are suddenly crusading about this topic, especially cross-posting around SDN about it. I liked our neurology forum the way it was.

I have to wonder why you are suddenly crusading about this topic, especially cross-posting around SDN about it. I liked our neurology forum the way it was.

In the course of asking a question on the General Residency forum, I discovered this neurology resident. There is no cross-posting.

I think we should just leave them alone. I am sure they have been through alot of stress and difficulty as it is dealing with the entire St. Chris situation. If they are accepted to these residencies then I am sure they proved themselves in one way or another and/or will have more opportunities to prove themselves. I know nothing about the legality but I am almost certain that these residencies have already looked into it. Beyond that, it is not my business and to post these peoples' names and programs reminds me of witch trials or McCarthyism ....
I wish them the best of luck.

I think we should just leave them alone. I am sure they have been through alot of stress and difficulty as it is dealing with the entire St. Chris situation. If they are accepted to these residencies then I am sure they proved themselves in one way or another and/or will have more opportunities to prove themselves. I know nothing about the legality but I am almost certain that these residencies have already looked into it. Beyond that, it is not my business and to post these peoples' names and programs reminds me of witch trials or McCarthyism ....
I wish them the best of luck.

You are right, I have posted the information I digged up and will let the readers do as they wish.

I agree with RS and fanondelaterre .... if we start an IMG witch hunt.... Well you are an IMG, right? Those who live in glass houses....