U of Cincinnati- Who's going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gellybean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the alternate list and received my acceptance package. I was disappointed to see that I received no information about housing or the pre-matriculation program. I did not even receive a letter of congratulations =( I only got information regarding vaccinations, parking and microscopes. First of all, is this what the rest of you received in your acceptance packet? Secondly, what are you doing for housing? I'm really stressing at this point...please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry you're so confused - I hope to be in your shoes soon. Would LOVE to return to the 'Nasty.

Two years ago, I actually did live in Cincinnati, and there is PLENTY of affordable, interesting housing around the medskool. As a plus, it is by far the MOST affordable place I've ever lived, and you can get a really rad 1 bedroom for as little as $550 month! Adivce if you're looking for something near school (walking distance): Stay away from the Coreyville side and Clifton Heights area - sketchy, high crime, frat partiesh, etc.

A good idea for housing close to the university is the GasLight area of Clifton, awesome homes with guesthouses, apartment buildings, etc. If you're looking for a newly carpetted, neutral-walled, 1999-built structure, go to school somewhere else. All housing around UC is older, hardwood floors, no AC in many cases, etc. But like I said, the houses are interesting with tons of character.

IF you're looking for a quasi-trendy, professional 20-something crowd, try Hyde Park, Mount Lookout or Oakley - all are about 10 minutes by car, cool neighborhoods with little squares at their centers with bars, restaurants, etc. Stay away from Mount Adams, waaaaayyyy too overpriced, and so hilly so that you probably wouldn't get your car too far with ice on the roads come January. Mount Adams IS a great place to bar-hop, although.
Finally, there are many somewhat inexpensive ($650 1 bedroom loft) apartments in Downtown Cincinnati, on the river, etc. Downtown is gaining in popularity and there's an entire entertainment district at your doorstep with bars, restaurants, coffee shops (Main Street).

I know you're looking for guidance from the University - hope my $.02 helps. Maybe you should just call Clarice Fooks and tell her you're situation! If you want any more cultural info about UC, PM me. Good luck - hope to see you next year!

Thanks for the help Posey! I will definitely call up UC and see what's up. I'll PM you when I get a better idea of what questions to ask. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
gellybean,
Congrats!
You'll get your actual acceptance letter in the next few days. I got everything (financial aid, housing, health etc.) except my congrats letter and it came the next day.

Jayme

Hello and Congrats!!!
I just got back from UC and was looking at apartments, there isn't a whole lot right now that are great, I'd call UC for the housing handbook (they'll send it to you), I used it without much luck, but I was only there for 4 days and looked at around 30 places.

If anyone that is interested in rooming w/ me, this is a great place I found. Right across from UC, $310/person. Check out the website, and if you are not interested but know someone that is, please pass on the info.
Go To:
<a href="http://www.sbsef.com/Tyson/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.sbsef.com/Tyson/index.htm</a>

Thanks!!! :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by TSpoon:

If anyone that is interested in rooming w/ me, this is a great place I found. Right across from UC, $310/person. Check out the website, and if you are not interested but know someone that is, please pass on the info.
•••••If you haven't done so already, e-mail IvaDean Lair ([email protected]) and send her this info. She'll forward the email to the whole student body, so if any upperclassmen are looking for a place, they'll get the info.

Thanks, I will email her and see if she can help!
T

Who's planning on attending the summer pre-matriculation program? For those that have attended it in past years, was it useful? If I don't attend will I be at a disadvantage? please help!

I will be there for the Summer Pre Pro. I spent a year out of college to apply and I could use a little freshening up. The campus is also relatively large, so finding your way around early might be helpful.

I spoke with several people about it and they thought it was good, but also a few said that they didn't do it because they wanted a few weeks of freedom.

Congrats again and I hope that having the stress off will let you calm down before the storm this fall! :)

I'll be at the prematriculation program. I went to U of Cincy undergrad so i'm sorta familiar with the medical campus and I already have an apartment. I just thought that the program would be a good thing to do. I did something similar the summer after high school and I loved it. See you there.