U. of Glasgow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishtolive

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody from around the area have advice for an american student hoping to do an away elective there for a month?

Where to live?
Cost of living?
Anything...

Members don't see this ad.

fishtolive said:
Anybody from around the area have advice for an american student hoping to do an away elective there for a month?

Where to live?
Cost of living?
Anything...

Hi,

I'm studying in Glasgow myself; sorry about the lateness of my reply but the medical society organized a weekend trip to Amsterdam and I only arrived back at 6am this morning. :sleep:

Usually I'd suggest the West End as the place to live - it's an upmarket area which paradoxically has relatively cheap student accomodation. Lots of shops and pubs too. The University is right in the middle of it. However if you're going to be doing your elective in one of the more peripheral hospitals, it might be a good idea to search for accommodation outside this area.

Here's a good site:

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/

Any additional info you need help with, let me know. :cool:

You should be able to rent a flat on the cheap but it will be in crap areas :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
dave777 said:
You should be able to rent a flat on the cheap but it will be in crap areas :eek:

Not necessarily. There's a bit of hunting around to be done, but you can get some places in the West End pretty cheaply. I'm a few minutes walk away from the med school and I'm only paying £55/week.

Not necessarily. There's a bit of hunting around to be done, but you can get some places in the West End pretty cheaply. I'm a few minutes walk away from the med school and I'm only paying £55/week.

completely unrelated to housing.
do you have any information on getting into the medical school?
i'll appreciate any information you can give me.