U of Illinois c/o 2024 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battie

U. Illinois
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
@SportPonies, @SkiOtter, @MyDogsAreBarking, and myself are all current 3rd or 2nd year students at UIUC! ILL! INI!

Also, I'm bored and just watching LivePD and wanted to be productive.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
@SportPonies, @SkiOtter, @MyDogsAreBarking, and myself are all current 3rd or 2nd year students at UIUC! ILL! INI!

Also, I'm bored and just watching LivePD and wanted to be productive.
655A94E3-E208-4FCB-9521-17A9A4519BF0.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do I remember reading somewhere that Illinois has a funky grading system?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I remember reading somewhere that Illinois has a funky grading system?
You are correct. We do megacourses. So you have all your classes exams in a big exam instead of separate and separate grades. BUT that also means you don’t have multiple tests weekly. We split the semesters into 8 week quarters. You have a midterm on all your classes at week 4 (one day non-cumulative) and a final on them at week 8 (one day non-cumulative, one day cumulative for first year). These two exams are combined (plus quizzes at week 2&6 first year and some other stuff, but exams are ~25% of your grade each first year iirc?) for your grade for the quarter. Then you do 8 weeks in clinics and don’t really get an actual grade for that and then after Christmas you have two more quarters for two more grades. That means you have nine total grades throughout your vet school career. You need a 60% each quarter and a 70% overall at the end of the year to move on. GPA doesn’t really mean much here BECAUSE you only have 9 grades factored into it by the end of 3rd year.

Personally I kind of liked the megacourses and megatests first year because it meant I wasn’t always studying for a test every few days and I could take a night or two off during the week and not be too worried.

Thanks for your detailed reply SkiOtter, but I must say I'm rather confused about this system. Can you explain further and/or post links to info on it?

exams are ~25% of your grade each first year iirc?

I think you're correct, cause you have dissection points, palpation quizzes, and such.

2nd year, they're 90% of your grade some quarters.

I think you're correct, cause you have dissection points, palpation quizzes, and such.

2nd year, they're 90% of your grade some quarters.
I was pretty sure it was around 25% because of those things but I didn’t feel like going on intranet :rofl:

One of those quarters is this quarter :cryi:

You are correct. We do megacourses. So you have all your classes exams in a big exam instead of separate and separate grades. BUT that also means you don’t have multiple tests weekly. We split the semesters into 8 week quarters. You have a midterm on all your classes at week 4 (one day non-cumulative) and a final on them at week 8 (one day non-cumulative, one day cumulative for first year). These two exams are combined (plus quizzes at week 2&6 first year and some other stuff, but exams are ~25% of your grade each first year iirc?) for your grade for the quarter. Then you do 8 weeks in clinics and don’t really get an actual grade for that and then after Christmas you have two more quarters for two more grades. That means you have nine total grades throughout your vet school career. You need a 60% each quarter and a 70% overall at the end of the year to move on. GPA doesn’t really mean much here BECAUSE you only have 9 grades factored into it by the end of 3rd year.

Personally I kind of liked the megacourses and megatests first year because it meant I wasn’t always studying for a test every few days and I could take a night or two off during the week and not be too worried.

This seems so stressful to me!

So is your final class ranking based on an average of your percentages?

So is your final class ranking based on an average of your percentages?

Yep. So keep in mind that the person that is 20 spots above or below you could potentially be only a percent higher or lower than you.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Yep. So keep in mind that the person that is 20 spots above or below you could potentially be only a percent higher or lower than you.

Brutal. God forbid if you want to do something after graduation where ranking matters!

Brutal. God forbid if you want to do something after graduation where ranking matters!
Something to keep in mind is that this is not something new for IL, so all programs are well aware of how they rank students. Plenty of IL grads get internships and residencies, so if that's what you want, you can too. I don't think worrying every semester about your rank helps in any way. It's more about the connections you make and trying your best to understand the material. :)

Something to keep in mind is that this is not something new for IL, so all programs are well aware of how they rank students. Plenty of IL grads get internships and residencies, so if that's what you want, you can too. I don't think worrying every semester about your rank helps in any way. It's more about the connections you make and trying your best to understand the material. :)

For sure, definitely not stressing about it but it is something to think about. I’m in the wanting everyone to succeed camp so that environment may not be ideal for me knowing every question on every exam makes a difference. But I’ll cross that bridge if I am even accepted there :)

For sure, definitely not stressing about it but it is something to think about. I’m in the wanting everyone to succeed camp so that environment may not be ideal for me knowing every question on every exam makes a difference. But I’ll cross that bridge if I am even accepted there :)
@batsenecal has the numbers on how many we’ve lost to grades in the recent years. My class lost no one to grades first year from what I’ve heard!

But my point was worrying about every point isn't necessary. I would hope that the students would realize after years of fourth years being accepted for internships/residencies, that they would quit being so uptight about IL particular style of ranking. Guess it's the type A that live in that world though. hehe

There were 20+ people from 2019 who moved onto internships last year (though @pinkpuppy9 would have to confirm; she is also doing an internship). Several of them considered themselves "middle of the road" when I was talking to them. Like Lupin said, programs have definitely adjusted to having this new style of grading coming from our grads. So as long as you're doing relatively well, you should be fine.

As far as every point mattering.... that's few and far between. My case was unique in being so close to the cut off. The vast majority of people don't fall under this category. Rather than thinking about individual points, I prioritize based on how much something is worth percentage-wise. As an example, first years have palpation quizzes twice per quarter, for a total of 5% of the grade. So I highly recommend to first years to not spend 20 hours the week before palpation quizzes down in the wards practicing palpation. Each quiz is worth 2.5% of the grade. Even if you got a 50% on that, you're losing 1% of your overall grade. Whereas, your exams are worth 10x as much. So go into palpation lab the week before for 5 hours (total) and spend the other 15 hours studying for your exam instead. At Illinois, it's far more about the bang for your buck.

Any advice on the Opioid essay? I am not sure if they are interested in our writing abilities or our take on current issues in vet med or what exactly it is. And are they looking more for an essay on the current solutions and methods out there or what could be done or? And should I stick to more formal sources like I would for an academic paper? Any advice is welcome, thank you!

Any advice on the Opioid essay? I am not sure if they are interested in our writing abilities or our take on current issues in vet med or what exactly it is. And are they looking more for an essay on the current solutions and methods out there or what could be done or? And should I stick to more formal sources like I would for an academic paper? Any advice is welcome, thank you!
Definitely use sources, but they don’t necessarily have to be research papers as your sources. co 22’s cycle was about working dogs and vet care and I used articles from the AVMA, AAVMC, National Geographic, NPR, ABC News (about a specific military working dog), and only one actual journal that had a case study. Mine was about 6500 characters with spaces, excluding the bibliography, but that’s only because I was really excited about and into the topic. Im not sure exactly what the essay topic is this year, but if you can, find some part about the topic that really interests you and just go at it. Write about what interests YOU about the topic, not just what you think the admissions committee wants to hear. Remember, they have to read hundreds of these same essays.

Definitely use sources, but they don’t necessarily have to be research papers as your sources. co 22’s cycle was about working dogs and vet care and I used articles from the AVMA, AAVMC, National Geographic, NPR, ABC News (about a specific military working dog), and only one actual journal that had a case study. Mine was about 6500 characters with spaces, excluding the bibliography, but that’s only because I was really excited about and into the topic. Im not sure exactly what the essay topic is this year, but if you can, find some part about the topic that really interests you and just go at it. Write about what interests YOU about the topic, not just what you think the admissions committee wants to hear. Remember, they have to read hundreds of these same essays.
Thank you! It is about the Opioid crisis affecting working dogs and veterinary care in emergent conditions with this and regular veterinary care for working dogs. Illinois actually has a video out about this situation so I definitely planned on referencing that but I don't want to sound like a suck up, they just happen to be the ones who made the video I found.

Wondering if anyone would be willing to share how long their opioid essay ended up being? I'm wondering if the 10k character limit was set so it could be as long as we felt we needed, or if they actually want us to write that length? I just feel like my response was pretty concise and I don't want to submit 5-6k characters if they're really looking for the full 10k. I'm a very to-the-point writer :pompous:. Thanks in advanced- this is the only thing holding me back from submitting my whole VMCAS!

Wondering if anyone would be willing to share how long their opioid essay ended up being? I'm wondering if the 10k character limit was set so it could be as long as we felt we needed, or if they actually want us to write that length? I just feel like my response was pretty concise and I don't want to submit 5-6k characters if they're really looking for the full 10k. I'm a very to-the-point writer :pompous:. Thanks in advanced- this is the only thing holding me back from submitting my whole VMCAS!

Mine was about 6k. If you read previous years threads they always have some type of research topic. From what I have read they give 10k so you do not have to worry about a word limit with citations and such and that most submit 1.5-2 pages without citations.

My essay when I applied was around 6k! They just have to give you a word count in VMCAS so I think 10k was probably just the highest they could give. Then if you do citations or anything you don’t have to worry about that taking up any of your precious character count :)

I don't remember my word count at all, I just remember it being 3 pages, including my citations.

Will be at Illinois next year! Deferred this past year but already sent in my deposit to be a part of next year’s class - very much looking forward to it :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Will be at Illinois next year! Deferred this past year but already sent in my deposit to be a part of next year’s class - very much looking forward to it :)

You had a baby if I remember correctly? How’s motherhood???

What do they mean by "Illinois science GPA"? Do they use their own calculation or is it the same one as the VMCAS science GPA? My VMCAS science GPA is hovering at 2.79 and lots of non-prereq courses counted towards this GPA, like health and kinesiology. I don't want to waste money applying to IL if I don't make their cutoff :(

What do they mean by "Illinois science GPA"? Do they use their own calculation or is it the same one as the VMCAS science GPA? My VMCAS science GPA is hovering at 2.79 and lots of non-prereq courses counted towards this GPA, like health and kinesiology. I don't want to waste money applying to IL if I don't make their cutoff :(
Definitely contact admissions directly and ask. Then you’ll get an official answer from the people evaluating your application and can make a decision whether to apply or not. I would try calling Monday to get the fastest answer vs email, just since it’s so close to the application deadline.

Does anyone know if/when Illinois will contact us to let us know they received our apps or how long they usually take to start contacting people about interviews?

Does anyone know if/when Illinois will contact us to let us know they received our apps or how long they usually take to start contacting people about interviews?
You won’t hear anything until December iirc when they tell you if you did or did not make it through phase 1 and onto phase 2. Mid January you should hear about interview invites for our one date in mid February.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how Illinois communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?

Does anyone know how Illinois communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?

Purely email. You won't hear from them until November or December at the earliest.

Thanks for the info!

I’m a little nervous. This was the last app I submitted and I wasn’t sure how to reference correctly since I couldn’t underline or italicize things. I was close to the deadline so I just did the best I could with MLA and hit submit. Did anyone else have this problem?

I’m a little nervous. This was the last app I submitted and I wasn’t sure how to reference correctly since I couldn’t underline or italicize things. I was close to the deadline so I just did the best I could with MLA and hit submit. Did anyone else have this problem?
VMCAS doesn’t allow italicizing or bolding so you should be fine!

I did the same thing, when in doubt MLA is easy and I did my due diligence seeing as they didn't specify anything about citations.