DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
772
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
initialotus said:
Got word on Halloween by mail. Who's coming with? :D
but that was over two weeks ago!
 

Messerschmitts

Mythic Dawn acolyte
10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2005
997
39
37
Gilroy, CA
Status
Attending Physician
I know, that was a while ago! Thanksgiving's coming around the corner already! But I would like to know who else got in. I interviewed there 6 weeks ago, no word.
 
About the Ads

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just found out today!!!! Interview on 10/3. I'm going with you!!!
 

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
1,925
0
36
Galveston
Status
Congrats to both initialotus and gdbaby. It looks like UIowa is going to be a good class next year. Holla

Go drink
 

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
9,508
4
counting a bone marrow somewhere near you
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats initialotus and gdbaby! I'm an M4 at Iowa and it is a great place.

Too bad I will probably be gone for residency next year and won't get to meet you.
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I started an Iowa 2010 class thread in the Med Students forum. let the craziness begin!!
 

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
2,516
4
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
Ok...


The time has come for those who have or will be hearing from U of Iowa around this time. If you have heard from them or should be any time soon, please hollaa!

:)
 

newguy357

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2005
283
0
Status
medhacker said:
Ok...


The time has come for those who have or will be hearing from U of Iowa around this time. If you have heard from them or should be any time soon, please hollaa!

:)
Interviewed 10/7 and have heard nothing. I think Iowa is funny with their whole "yea, you might find out next week...or you might not find out until March" policy. haha....
 

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
2,516
4
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
newguy357 said:
Interviewed 10/7 and have heard nothing. I think Iowa is funny with their whole "yea, you might find out next week...or you might not find out until March" policy. haha....
Yeah dude

They got me on pins with that policy :(
 

laboholic

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
488
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone recall the % of instate applicants that they take rolling vs march? I thought it was somewhere around 50%?
 

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
2,516
4
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
laboholic said:
Anyone recall the % of instate applicants that they take rolling vs march? I thought it was somewhere around 50%?

please post it for out of state applicants also
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
laboholic said:
Anyone recall the % of instate applicants that they take rolling vs march? I thought it was somewhere around 50%?
If I remember correctly from Kathi's talk that afternoon, they take about half the class before the March 15th date. Of that half, I think it is about 70%/30% instate/oos.
 
About the Ads

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
2,516
4
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
gdbaby said:
If I remember correctly from Kathi's talk that afternoon, they take about half the class before the March 15th date. Of that half, I think it is about 70%/30% instate/oos.

<------------------ saying his prayers!!
Almost D-Day! :cool:
 

laboholic

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
488
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so if they interview about 600 in-state people and take ~100
thats 16.6% acceptance rate...

... but since they take 50% of the class on rolling, I only have a 9% chance since I am a march person... ****.

Thats assuming that this is a completely random process.... oh wait, i think it is! :rolleyes:
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
laboholic said:
so if they interview about 600 in-state people and take ~100
thats 16.6% acceptance rate...

... but since they take 50% of the class on rolling, I only have a 9% chance since I am a march person... ****.

Thats assuming that this is a completely random process.... oh wait, i think it is! :rolleyes:
Totally random. I thought the instaters had a better shot than that! When did you interview again? Have you thought about a letter to the ADcom
 

laboholic

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
488
8
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gdbaby said:
Totally random. I thought the instaters had a better shot than that! When did you interview again? Have you thought about a letter to the ADcom
Interviewed 10/12

Maybe ill send a letter
 

newguy357

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2005
283
0
Status
laboholic said:
so if they interview about 600 in-state people and take ~100
thats 16.6% acceptance rate...

... but since they take 50% of the class on rolling, I only have a 9% chance since I am a march person... ****.

Thats assuming that this is a completely random process.... oh wait, i think it is! :rolleyes:
No, they give more acceptances than the number who matriculate. The lady said instaters who interviewed had a 1/2.5 chance of acceptance, or 40%. Out of staters who interviewed had a 1/5 chance, 20%.
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
newguy357 said:
No, they give more acceptances than the number who matriculate. The lady said instaters who interviewed had a 1/2.5 chance of acceptance, or 40%. Out of staters who interviewed had a 1/5 chance, 20%.
Good point. I kind of forgot about that.

I am pretty sure I am going to Iowa, and I would love to see you all there!!! I'll be there for Christmas, but I will be busy being Merry!
 

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
2,516
4
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
gdbaby said:
Good point. I kind of forgot about that.

I am pretty sure I am going to Iowa, and I would love to see you all there!!! I'll be there for Christmas, but I will be busy being Merry!

It would be a blast to attend U of I with you guys :laugh:
 

DocMD85

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
80
0
Status
Pre-Medical
So, I interviewed 12/07...wont be hearing for while then right...when did they meet?
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
I believe the last adcom meeting was on the 20th. They'll snail mail the notifications to those who received rolling acceptances then. :thumbup:

If you didn't make it in the rolling group, then you'll learn of a delayed acceptance, ranked waitlist, or rejection after weeks/month of anxious anticipation... :oops:

You never know how adcoms operate, but I'd guess that 12/07 interviewees would be included in the 12/20 meeting.
 
About the Ads

snobored18

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
510
7
Status
Medical Student
I thought Iowa's adcom was meeting this week for MSTP candidates...at least thats what I was told...so I think MD only reviews resume after the holidays...at least thats the word I got....
 

DocMD85

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
80
0
Status
Pre-Medical
yikes...soo it will be march if i dont get anything next week...where do u think people will post if they get something next week...
 

DocMD85

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
80
0
Status
Pre-Medical
and...how often do they meet...just wondering if anyone knew..
 

Scarlett27

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
73
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I interviewed in mid-December and received word yesterday. The letter was dated January 3, so the adcom did meet to review MD admissions in late December. Good luck everyone!
 

dbhvt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2005
1,006
2
Status
Medical Student
Scarlett27 said:
Hey guys,

I interviewed in mid-December and received word yesterday. The letter was dated January 3, so the adcom did meet to review MD admissions in late December. Good luck everyone!

Yump. got one too.

good luck mhack
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats guys!! Keep me posted on the Med School class threads if anyone is planning to go to the "get to know your classmates" day in April!
 
About the Ads

Zargos

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2006
179
0
Status
Medical Student
I'm in the pool of people in limbo untill march! At least it isn't a rejection... yet :laugh:
 

monadalal

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2005
4
0
Iowa
Status
Zargos said:
I'm in the pool of people in limbo untill march! At least it isn't a rejection... yet :laugh:

did you get an email telling you that you wouldn't get an official decision until march? or are you just assuming that because you haven't received word yet?
i interviewed in october and haven't heard anything at all, and didn't know whether i would be getting something by email telling me that i wouldn't hear back til march, or if i should just assume that because i haven't gotten anything in the mail that i am in the final applicant pool?
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
My understanding was that they do not notify you if you're in the deferred decision group.

I interviewed just before the holidays and have heard nothing. They told us we would hear sometime mid-January if we were lucky enough to get in right away.

Good luck! :luck:
monadalal said:
did you get an email telling you that you wouldn't get an official decision until march? or are you just assuming that because you haven't received word yet?
i interviewed in october and haven't heard anything at all, and didn't know whether i would be getting something by email telling me that i wouldn't hear back til march, or if i should just assume that because i haven't gotten anything in the mail that i am in the final applicant pool?
 

snobored18

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
510
7
Status
Medical Student
To keep the info coming...I recieved my Iowa acceptance today...the letter was dated 1/10...i was freaking out there for a bit when i heard 12/12 interviewees where getting word...just so you can gauge I am a traditional in-state applicant who interviewed 12/14...best of luck to all those who are still hoping to get in during the rolling phase...clearly there is still time left.
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Congrats!!!!!
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
"Dear Applicant:

This is to inform you that your application has moved from the rolling
phase into the final pool review. This review will take approximately
6 weeks, so you will not hear a decision from the Admissions Committee
until March 15, 2006. Final decisions will be sent by US mail and no
decisions will be given over the phone or by e-mail..."


Since I know that they over-admit out of state students in the rolling portion, I'm putting two and two together to figure out that I'm waitlisted (I'm assuming not flatly rejected! :eek: ) Oh well. It would have taken a pretty nice financial aid package to get me there... but I would have liked to see the offer!

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:
 

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
2,516
4
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
SailCrazy said:
"Dear Applicant:

This is to inform you that your application has moved from the rolling
phase into the final pool review. This review will take approximately
6 weeks, so you will not hear a decision from the Admissions Committee
until March 15, 2006. Final decisions will be sent by US mail and no
decisions will be given over the phone or by e-mail..."


Since I know that they over-admit out of state students in the rolling portion, I'm putting two and two together to figure out that I'm waitlisted (I'm assuming not flatly rejected! :eek: ) Oh well. It would have taken a pretty nice financial aid package to get me there... but I would have liked to see the offer!

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:
I got the same. Do they reject anyone post-interview before the final pool?
 

snobored18

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2005
510
7
Status
Medical Student
Iowa doesn't reject post-interview...all rejections letters will go out with the final pool acceptances and waitlists...FYI they typically reject about half of the people interviewed so around 150 oos and 100 in-states...
 

McMD

Loving Life!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
735
0
Status
Medical Student
GO HAWKEYES! Even though I didn't apply to U of Iowa (not an Iowa resident, wouldn't have a chance), I am a big Iowa fan! Oh yeah, and I went to FSU for undergrad, so I'm a GATOR HATOR!! That game sucked! :mad:
 

newguy357

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2005
283
0
Status
SailCrazy said:
Since I know that they over-admit out of state students in the rolling portion, I'm putting two and two together to figure out that I'm waitlisted (I'm assuming not flatly rejected! :eek: ) Oh well.
I got this too. Do they really overadmit oos during rolling? If so I'm in a bad position too. Oh well. There might have just gone my #2.
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
newguy357 said:
I got this too. Do they really overadmit oos during rolling? If so I'm in a bad position too. Oh well. There might have just gone my #2.
Really guys, don't give up hope. I am OOS and already have an Iowa acceptance and I think they probably take a lot of people off the waitlist in March and throughout the spring because people have a vision of Iowa that doesn't sound appealing (fools! Obviously, they have never been to IC,IA). The school is wonderful (as you all know). Have you all sent letters of interest/intent? I think that helped me after my interview. A bunch of people who interviewed after me were getting acceptances, so I shot an email and letter to Kathy Heubner and told her how much I loved the school and, although I assumed I was waitlisted, I was really interested in attending Carver. I got an acceptance the next week.
 

RFR MCA

DiGeorgeing it since 2005
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2006
12
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm an in-state applicant who has just been moved to the final applicant pool. I sent an email to my advisor asking whether or not a letter to the U of I admissions committee would be worthwhile. This is what my advisor said:

"I don't think a letter indicating that Iowa is your first choice will have any impact at all upon your application. Iowa is a good school so for most students who are Iowa residents, Iowa is number one choice (unless, of course, the student is being considered by Harvard and the admissions committee knows that. They will accept you based upon MCAT, GPA, interview, personal statement, experience in medical field, volunteer activities and research activities. I'll email Cathy Solow and see what she thinks."

My advisor then cut and pasted what Cathy had sent in response to her email. This is what she said:

"I'm afraid that sending a letter to the Carver College of Medicine as outlined below is a waste of an applicant's time and postage. We do not add them to the electronic file and they bear no weight in any admissions consideration. some letters do arrive, I read them and then promptly forget (probably due to age) any specifics about the letter or the writer.

Having written the above, I must hasten to add that other schools may hold a different view and may approach filling the class differently than the Carver College of Medicine. Additional contact, particularly if you are a "bubble" applicant or on a waiting list without an explicit and transparent ranking system, may be beneficial."

I thought it was a great idea just to let them know how interested and excited I was about the school but after reading what Cathy said I'm glad that I didn't spend an hour or two writing a nice letter. I hope this helps anyone that was thinking about sending them a letter.
 

dbhvt

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2005
1,006
2
Status
Medical Student
RFR MCA said:
I'm an in-state applicant who has just been moved to the final applicant pool. I sent an email to my advisor asking whether or not a letter to the U of I admissions committee would be worthwhile. This is what my advisor said:

"I don't think a letter indicating that Iowa is your first choice will have any impact at all upon your application. Iowa is a good school so for most students who are Iowa residents, Iowa is number one choice (unless, of course, the student is being considered by Harvard and the admissions committee knows that. They will accept you based upon MCAT, GPA, interview, personal statement, experience in medical field, volunteer activities and research activities. I'll email Cathy Solow and see what she thinks."

My advisor then cut and pasted what Cathy had sent in response to her email. This is what she said:

"I'm afraid that sending a letter to the Carver College of Medicine as outlined below is a waste of an applicant's time and postage. We do not add them to the electronic file and they bear no weight in any admissions consideration. some letters do arrive, I read them and then promptly forget (probably due to age) any specifics about the letter or the writer.

Having written the above, I must hasten to add that other schools may hold a different view and may approach filling the class differently than the Carver College of Medicine. Additional contact, particularly if you are a "bubble" applicant or on a waiting list without an explicit and transparent ranking system, may be beneficial."

I thought it was a great idea just to let them know how interested and excited I was about the school but after reading what Cathy said I'm glad that I didn't spend an hour or two writing a nice letter. I hope this helps anyone that was thinking about sending them a letter.
I think this applies to in-state applicants, but I'm not sure if it applies to OOS (in light of gdbaby's experience). Also, I think there's a difference between a letter that says "i really love your school and want to go there", and one that says, "i'm really interested in this explicit new program that you are pushing because yada yada yada". Myself, I'm planning on writing a letter to my state school outlining how much I love my apartment and would hate to have to move next year. I think that will really help.
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
newguy357 said:
I got this too. Do they really overadmit oos during rolling? If so I'm in a bad position too. Oh well. There might have just gone my #2.
I was definitely told that while I was there. They do not over admit for in-state (in fact they may under admit a bit), but I think they accept something like 80 students for the 40 OOS spots during the rolling portion and still end up pulling a few off the waitlist.
 

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
2,295
2
48
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well then I have to go back to my original thought which was "how the hell did I get in?" I was using the letter, but apparently that wasn't it. Maybe it was the sex....
 

Scarlett27

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
73
0
Status
Pre-Medical
gdbaby...you are hilarious...if we don't end up at the same school, I will be sad, but good luck with Colorado!
 
About the Ads