!U of Iowa Acceptances Hollllllaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialotus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got word on Halloween by mail. Who's coming with? :D

Members don't see this ad.

initialotus said:
Got word on Halloween by mail. Who's coming with? :D

but that was over two weeks ago!

I know, that was a while ago! Thanksgiving's coming around the corner already! But I would like to know who else got in. I interviewed there 6 weeks ago, no word.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out today!!!! Interview on 10/3. I'm going with you!!!

Congrats to both initialotus and gdbaby. It looks like UIowa is going to be a good class next year. Holla

Go drink

Congrats initialotus and gdbaby! I'm an M4 at Iowa and it is a great place.

Too bad I will probably be gone for residency next year and won't get to meet you.

I started an Iowa 2010 class thread in the Med Students forum. let the craziness begin!!

Ok...

The time has come for those who have or will be hearing from U of Iowa around this time. If you have heard from them or should be any time soon, please hollaa!

:)

medhacker said:
Ok...

The time has come for those who have or will be hearing from U of Iowa around this time. If you have heard from them or should be any time soon, please hollaa!

:)
Interviewed 10/7 and have heard nothing. I think Iowa is funny with their whole "yea, you might find out next week...or you might not find out until March" policy. haha....

newguy357 said:
Interviewed 10/7 and have heard nothing. I think Iowa is funny with their whole "yea, you might find out next week...or you might not find out until March" policy. haha....

Yeah dude

They got me on pins with that policy :(

Anyone recall the % of instate applicants that they take rolling vs march? I thought it was somewhere around 50%?

laboholic said:
Anyone recall the % of instate applicants that they take rolling vs march? I thought it was somewhere around 50%?

please post it for out of state applicants also

laboholic said:
If I remember correctly from Kathi's talk that afternoon, they take about half the class before the March 15th date. Of that half, I think it is about 70%/30% instate/oos.

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
If I remember correctly from Kathi's talk that afternoon, they take about half the class before the March 15th date. Of that half, I think it is about 70%/30% instate/oos.

<------------------ saying his prayers!!
Almost D-Day! :cool:

so if they interview about 600 in-state people and take ~100
thats 16.6% acceptance rate...

... but since they take 50% of the class on rolling, I only have a 9% chance since I am a march person... ****.

Thats assuming that this is a completely random process.... oh wait, i think it is! :rolleyes:

laboholic said:

... but since they take 50% of the class on rolling, I only have a 9% chance since I am a march person... ****.

Thats assuming that this is a completely random process.... oh wait, i think it is! :rolleyes:
Totally random. I thought the instaters had a better shot than that! When did you interview again? Have you thought about a letter to the ADcom

gdbaby said:
Totally random. I thought the instaters had a better shot than that! When did you interview again? Have you thought about a letter to the ADcom

Interviewed 10/12

Maybe ill send a letter

laboholic said:

No, they give more acceptances than the number who matriculate. The lady said instaters who interviewed had a 1/2.5 chance of acceptance, or 40%. Out of staters who interviewed had a 1/5 chance, 20%.

newguy357 said:
No, they give more acceptances than the number who matriculate. The lady said instaters who interviewed had a 1/2.5 chance of acceptance, or 40%. Out of staters who interviewed had a 1/5 chance, 20%.
Good point. I kind of forgot about that.

I am pretty sure I am going to Iowa, and I would love to see you all there!!! I'll be there for Christmas, but I will be busy being Merry!

gdbaby said:
Good point. I kind of forgot about that.

I am pretty sure I am going to Iowa, and I would love to see you all there!!! I'll be there for Christmas, but I will be busy being Merry!

It would be a blast to attend U of I with you guys :laugh:

So, I interviewed 12/07...wont be hearing for while then right...when did they meet?

I believe the last adcom meeting was on the 20th. They'll snail mail the notifications to those who received rolling acceptances then. :thumbup:

If you didn't make it in the rolling group, then you'll learn of a delayed acceptance, ranked waitlist, or rejection after weeks/month of anxious anticipation... :oops:

You never know how adcoms operate, but I'd guess that 12/07 interviewees would be included in the 12/20 meeting.

I thought Iowa's adcom was meeting this week for MSTP candidates...at least thats what I was told...so I think MD only reviews resume after the holidays...at least thats the word I got....

yikes...soo it will be march if i dont get anything next week...where do u think people will post if they get something next week...

and...how often do they meet...just wondering if anyone knew..

Hey guys,

I interviewed in mid-December and received word yesterday. The letter was dated January 3, so the adcom did meet to review MD admissions in late December. Good luck everyone!

Scarlett27 said:
Hey guys,

I interviewed in mid-December and received word yesterday. The letter was dated January 3, so the adcom did meet to review MD admissions in late December. Good luck everyone!

Yump. got one too.

good luck mhack

Congrats guys!! Keep me posted on the Med School class threads if anyone is planning to go to the "get to know your classmates" day in April!

Congratulations to all the recent Iowa acceptances!!!!

I'm in the pool of people in limbo untill march! At least it isn't a rejection... yet :laugh:

Zargos said:
I'm in the pool of people in limbo untill march! At least it isn't a rejection... yet :laugh:

did you get an email telling you that you wouldn't get an official decision until march? or are you just assuming that because you haven't received word yet?
i interviewed in october and haven't heard anything at all, and didn't know whether i would be getting something by email telling me that i wouldn't hear back til march, or if i should just assume that because i haven't gotten anything in the mail that i am in the final applicant pool?

My understanding was that they do not notify you if you're in the deferred decision group.

I interviewed just before the holidays and have heard nothing. They told us we would hear sometime mid-January if we were lucky enough to get in right away.

Good luck! :luck:
monadalal said:
did you get an email telling you that you wouldn't get an official decision until march? or are you just assuming that because you haven't received word yet?
i interviewed in october and haven't heard anything at all, and didn't know whether i would be getting something by email telling me that i wouldn't hear back til march, or if i should just assume that because i haven't gotten anything in the mail that i am in the final applicant pool?

To keep the info coming...I recieved my Iowa acceptance today...the letter was dated 1/10...i was freaking out there for a bit when i heard 12/12 interviewees where getting word...just so you can gauge I am a traditional in-state applicant who interviewed 12/14...best of luck to all those who are still hoping to get in during the rolling phase...clearly there is still time left.

Congrats!!!!!

"Dear Applicant:

This is to inform you that your application has moved from the rolling
phase into the final pool review. This review will take approximately
6 weeks, so you will not hear a decision from the Admissions Committee
until March 15, 2006. Final decisions will be sent by US mail and no
decisions will be given over the phone or by e-mail..."

Since I know that they over-admit out of state students in the rolling portion, I'm putting two and two together to figure out that I'm waitlisted (I'm assuming not flatly rejected! :eek: ) Oh well. It would have taken a pretty nice financial aid package to get me there... but I would have liked to see the offer!

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

SailCrazy said:
"Dear Applicant:

This is to inform you that your application has moved from the rolling
phase into the final pool review. This review will take approximately
6 weeks, so you will not hear a decision from the Admissions Committee
until March 15, 2006. Final decisions will be sent by US mail and no
decisions will be given over the phone or by e-mail..."

Since I know that they over-admit out of state students in the rolling portion, I'm putting two and two together to figure out that I'm waitlisted (I'm assuming not flatly rejected! :eek: ) Oh well. It would have taken a pretty nice financial aid package to get me there... but I would have liked to see the offer!

Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

I got the same. Do they reject anyone post-interview before the final pool?

Iowa doesn't reject post-interview...all rejections letters will go out with the final pool acceptances and waitlists...FYI they typically reject about half of the people interviewed so around 150 oos and 100 in-states...

largest%20natural%20swimming%20pool%20in%20the%20world.jpg

GO HAWKEYES! Even though I didn't apply to U of Iowa (not an Iowa resident, wouldn't have a chance), I am a big Iowa fan! Oh yeah, and I went to FSU for undergrad, so I'm a GATOR HATOR!! That game sucked! :mad:

SailCrazy said:
Since I know that they over-admit out of state students in the rolling portion, I'm putting two and two together to figure out that I'm waitlisted (I'm assuming not flatly rejected! :eek: ) Oh well.

I got this too. Do they really overadmit oos during rolling? If so I'm in a bad position too. Oh well. There might have just gone my #2.

newguy357 said:
I got this too. Do they really overadmit oos during rolling? If so I'm in a bad position too. Oh well. There might have just gone my #2.
Really guys, don't give up hope. I am OOS and already have an Iowa acceptance and I think they probably take a lot of people off the waitlist in March and throughout the spring because people have a vision of Iowa that doesn't sound appealing (fools! Obviously, they have never been to IC,IA). The school is wonderful (as you all know). Have you all sent letters of interest/intent? I think that helped me after my interview. A bunch of people who interviewed after me were getting acceptances, so I shot an email and letter to Kathy Heubner and told her how much I loved the school and, although I assumed I was waitlisted, I was really interested in attending Carver. I got an acceptance the next week.

I'm an in-state applicant who has just been moved to the final applicant pool. I sent an email to my advisor asking whether or not a letter to the U of I admissions committee would be worthwhile. This is what my advisor said:

"I don't think a letter indicating that Iowa is your first choice will have any impact at all upon your application. Iowa is a good school so for most students who are Iowa residents, Iowa is number one choice (unless, of course, the student is being considered by Harvard and the admissions committee knows that. They will accept you based upon MCAT, GPA, interview, personal statement, experience in medical field, volunteer activities and research activities. I'll email Cathy Solow and see what she thinks."

My advisor then cut and pasted what Cathy had sent in response to her email. This is what she said:

"I'm afraid that sending a letter to the Carver College of Medicine as outlined below is a waste of an applicant's time and postage. We do not add them to the electronic file and they bear no weight in any admissions consideration. some letters do arrive, I read them and then promptly forget (probably due to age) any specifics about the letter or the writer.

Having written the above, I must hasten to add that other schools may hold a different view and may approach filling the class differently than the Carver College of Medicine. Additional contact, particularly if you are a "bubble" applicant or on a waiting list without an explicit and transparent ranking system, may be beneficial."

I thought it was a great idea just to let them know how interested and excited I was about the school but after reading what Cathy said I'm glad that I didn't spend an hour or two writing a nice letter. I hope this helps anyone that was thinking about sending them a letter.

RFR MCA said:
I'm an in-state applicant who has just been moved to the final applicant pool. I sent an email to my advisor asking whether or not a letter to the U of I admissions committee would be worthwhile. This is what my advisor said:

"I don't think a letter indicating that Iowa is your first choice will have any impact at all upon your application. Iowa is a good school so for most students who are Iowa residents, Iowa is number one choice (unless, of course, the student is being considered by Harvard and the admissions committee knows that. They will accept you based upon MCAT, GPA, interview, personal statement, experience in medical field, volunteer activities and research activities. I'll email Cathy Solow and see what she thinks."

My advisor then cut and pasted what Cathy had sent in response to her email. This is what she said:

"I'm afraid that sending a letter to the Carver College of Medicine as outlined below is a waste of an applicant's time and postage. We do not add them to the electronic file and they bear no weight in any admissions consideration. some letters do arrive, I read them and then promptly forget (probably due to age) any specifics about the letter or the writer.

Having written the above, I must hasten to add that other schools may hold a different view and may approach filling the class differently than the Carver College of Medicine. Additional contact, particularly if you are a "bubble" applicant or on a waiting list without an explicit and transparent ranking system, may be beneficial."

I thought it was a great idea just to let them know how interested and excited I was about the school but after reading what Cathy said I'm glad that I didn't spend an hour or two writing a nice letter. I hope this helps anyone that was thinking about sending them a letter.

I think this applies to in-state applicants, but I'm not sure if it applies to OOS (in light of gdbaby's experience). Also, I think there's a difference between a letter that says "i really love your school and want to go there", and one that says, "i'm really interested in this explicit new program that you are pushing because yada yada yada". Myself, I'm planning on writing a letter to my state school outlining how much I love my apartment and would hate to have to move next year. I think that will really help.

newguy357 said:
I was definitely told that while I was there. They do not over admit for in-state (in fact they may under admit a bit), but I think they accept something like 80 students for the 40 OOS spots during the rolling portion and still end up pulling a few off the waitlist.

Well then I have to go back to my original thought which was "how the hell did I get in?" I was using the letter, but apparently that wasn't it. Maybe it was the sex....

gdbaby...you are hilarious...if we don't end up at the same school, I will be sad, but good luck with Colorado!