!U of Iowa Acceptances Hollllllaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Iowa just kicked michagan's arse. As predicted. 94-66.

Members don't see this ad.

dbhvt said:
Iowa just kicked michagan's arse. As predicted. 94-66.
Indeed. All signs are pulling us toward IC,IA. How does Iowa Med compare to Vermont, dbhvt?

gdbaby said:
Indeed. All signs are pulling us toward IC,IA. How does Iowa Med compare to Vermont, dbhvt?

Iowa vs. Vermont

In Iowa's favor:

RAGBRAI

As far as I can remember, Iowa more than doubles Vermont's research funding.

Iowa does better with structured research programs for med students.

I'm a lot more impressed with the clinical facilities. UI Health Care is bigger and 'better' as well as being more respected both nationally and locally than Fletcher Allen. What I mean by well respected locally is, if you ask a random Iowan about UI Health Care, they will probably have very positive things to say. If you ask a random Vermonter, they might have positive things to say about FAHC. Or they might get red in the face and start yelling.

CELLS program might facilitate better connections across classes.

Both have great new medical education buildings, but I think Iowa wins out on this one. Not by much, though.

Iowa basketball
Iowa football

Washes:
Forgetting the geography, Iowa City may just edge out Burlington in terms of the night life and culture, but this is really probably too close to call. Both are pretty lively college towns.

Both administrations pay a lot of attention to what the students think.

Both put a very high priority on preparing students for the boards. (Imagine for a moment that I get accepted to Columbia, but go to either UVM or Iowa. I probably won't know more when I come out, but I might just score higher on the boards--feel free to yell at me for this comment).

I don't think the curriculum is notably different at either school.

Both are full of remarkably friendly people.

In Vermont's favor:
Skiing
Hiking
Biking across the App Gap
The most beautiful summers in the world. seriously. You think it's all about the fall foliage. Its not. The summers are incredible.

In state tuition.

I already know alot of people here. I'm already plugged into two fantastic research programs with two inspiring and well-connected research advisors.

In general, the faculty at Vermont are VERY excited about the new curriculum, new facilities, and newly recognized 'prestige' of the school. This excitement results in some great teaching. Not to say the teaching at Iowa is in any way lacking. The teachers just don't seem to be on fire like the ones at UVM will be for the next couple of years.

Burlington is closer to Montreal than Iowa is to Chicago.

UVM Hockey

Forgot that you were aVermont residnet. So I prob won't see you in IC,IA if you get the Vermont nod. I will be riding RAGBRAI this July so look for me on online photos in the Des Moines register! My hubbie's already looking forward to Iowa football season tix. Oooo I get excited just thinking about it!