U of Kansas/Nebraska/Arkansas/Toledo: LSU Shrevepot, Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blowingbubbles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone (current/past residents, medstudents) have any opinions about the gen surgery residency programs at the following? Any input would be appreciated.

Univ of Kansas, KS
Univ of Kansas, Wichita
Univ of Arkansas
Univ of Nebraska
Univ of Toledo
LSU Shreveport
TExas Tech, Lubbock

Members don't see this ad.

My advisor went to univ of nebraska for residency and liked it and was well trained, and I have a friend who really liked it on her interview. I think it is well known in the midwest and good for "midwest careers" but I don't know beyond that. A friend who went to med school there also really liked it. She was originally from Iowa.
One of my classmates liked LSU a lot as well.
I don't know about the others!

i don't know many people who would volunteer to live in lubbock for 5 years.

-tm

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to the previous post about living in Lubbock, I'd have to say there are worse places to live, like Toledo for instance, given how that is on your list. But as to doing surgery at TxTech, I don't think you are going to find a chairman who is more personable or a program director who is in tune to helping to meet the needs and goals of his residents. The program has gotten probation issues resolved, is getting a heptobiliary program and surg/onc program up, and allows you to operate a lot as an intern. The senior residents there are super cool people, the hospital is the nicest county hospital you will ever step foot in, and Lubbock is one of the easiest places to live in. The name might not be the biggest, and their research may be below some others on your list, but I think this is a place where you could be happy.

In response to the previous post about living in Lubbock, I'd have to say there are worse places to live, like Toledo for instance, given how that is on your list. But as to doing surgery at TxTech, I don't think you are going to find a chairman who is more personable or a program director who is in tune to helping to meet the needs and goals of his residents. The program has gotten probation issues resolved, is getting a heptobiliary program and surg/onc program up, and allows you to operate a lot as an intern. The senior residents there are super cool people, the hospital is the nicest county hospital you will ever step foot in, and Lubbock is one of the easiest places to live in. The name might not be the biggest, and their research may be below some others on your list, but I think this is a place where you could be happy.

other than my disliking for lubbock...i have heard similar things about the program. both the chair and pd have gotten great pr from ms4s, residents, and attendings in texas.

-tm

I'm a second year at Toledo, and Toledo isn't that bad of a place to live. It has a bad rap by people that haven't been here for some reason. Maybe that tie it to Cleveland or Detroit since we're close to them, but it's a far nicer city than either of those.

Since I'm a second year I've had very little direct contact with the program, so you should probably take what I say with a grain of salt as there are other people who know far more about the program than I do. However, I do have some general knowledge about our program that you might be interested in.

Honestly, our surgery residency program could be stronger. From what I've heard they provide excellent training to students, but the residency program is currently on probation. However, according to our new dean (who is a peds cardiac surgeon from Cornell) the upcoming site review should go very well. They've evidently made some major changes to the program since they were put on probation a couple years ago. I don't know what the reason for probation is, I just know that's our only residency currently on probation and that it should be lifted in the next couple months.

They've just hired Dr. Gerald Zelenock as the new chairman of surgery. http://utnews.utoledo.edu/publish/article_3249.shtml He is a leading vascular surgeon and has authored numerous books in the field including one of the most widely read vascular surgery texts. He also is very interested in the general education of surgeons. Talking to 3rd and 4th year students he has already made a major impact in the quality of teaching. According to them he seems to be very interested and engaging with both the students and residents. Our dean of the COM also told a group of students (I was one of them) that there are plans to add up to 23 new faculty members to the department. That number is not set in stone and would likely include both full-time and part-time faculty on our campus and at our affiliated institutions. The schools has also recently invested $5 million in new simulation equipment to be used by the residents and students to simulate codes, operations, and numerous other conditions.

There are two main hospitals that students and residents rotate through. Most of the time is spend at UT Medical Center and a large block of time is spent at St. Vincents which is near downtown. Both are level I trauma centers. Toledo Hospital is also a very real possibility for the future (student and residents spend time there for FP, OB/GYN, Peds, and urology), but I wouldn't count on it. I believe there's also time spent at St. Lukes Hospital which is a suburban community hospital, but I don't think it's a whole lot of time.

The hospital has also recently opened a minimally invasive surgery center on campus. The new center has technology available to broadcast procedures with the surgeon miked up throughout the institution. They've already sent live feeds into the 1st and 2nd year lecture halls for clinical lectures, and I assume they use them for 3rd and 4th year students as well as residents. Also, there is currently a new ortho center being built and that should open up significant amounts of space for the other surgical specialties in regards to clinic space.

Hope this helps a little.

Anyone (current/past residents, medstudents) have any opinions about the gen surgery residency programs at the following? Any input would be appreciated.

Univ of Kansas, KS
Univ of Kansas, Wichita
Univ of Arkansas
Univ of Nebraska
Univ of Toledo
LSU Shreveport
TExas Tech, Lubbock

If you interviewed there and I met you, then you shouldn't have to ask about Wichita.....I'm trying my best not to self-promote.....you can PM me if you have specific questions about the program.

Honestly, I don't feel like I have to sell the program to you because it pretty much sells itself.

Good luck on your hard decision.

Thanks to all who replied to my post thus far. I really appreciate the time you took to do so.