U of Louisville SOM '12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrocreep96

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well crap, I didn't see any U of L class threads hanging around, so I guess it's up to me!:D

I'll be attending Louisville this Fall, coming from the great state of Utah. I'm looking forward to getting out of my home state and Louisville looks like it'll be a lot of fun, but I must say I'm going to miss the mountains (and, currently, the snowmobiling).

So - where is everyone?! I wanna' know who my future classmates will be.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Well geeze, I'm getting a little lonely in here. Where my homies at?

I'm coming from SoFL-- Louisville will be a bit of a change, but change is good, right?

Are you planning on attending the pre-orientation/2nd look at the end of the month? I'd like to, but the info was a bit short notice, and I'm unable to schedule the time (that and there's this thing called paying out the nose for a plane ticket with only 2 weeks notice). Oh well, I might try going on my own time when my schedule opens up (and I can afford it after this whole application process).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yee haw, a classmate.

I'm coming from Utah, so it will be a change for me as well. I think it'll be a blast, though.

I'm not going to pre-orientation. Funds are tight right now. I will be there in mid-March to look for housing and associated requirements.

I might be heading that way some time in March too. I had emailed UL's admin office about the possibility of an informal visit--they said that'd be fine. Fortunately, I've been in touch with a couple of students in an effort to find out more about their likes/dislikes, so hopefully I'll be able to get a tour in if someone's available.

Best of luck with the house/apartment hunting!

Hey guys! Just got my acceptance letter today, so count me in (yay me!).

Glad to hear it worked out for you Sarah (?). I had followed your story on the pre-allo forum, and I was hoping things would turn out.

Congrats!

Glad to hear it worked out for you Sarah (?). I had followed your story on the pre-allo forum, and I was hoping things would turn out.

Congrats!

Same here-- you're quite the "celebrity" in the UofL Status thread! Congrats- I'm sure you were thrilled to get that letter!

Wow. I had no idea how famous I was! Thanks for the support guys! It sounds like most of the people on this thread aren't going to pre-orientation tomorrow so I'll try to post any important info I get.

Wow. I had no idea how famous I was! Thanks for the support guys! It sounds like most of the people on this thread aren't going to pre-orientation tomorrow so I'll try to post any important info I get.

Any financial info would be great. It's a bit difficult for me to make it there as I'm 1,600 miles away. I've submitted my FAFSA, but I'm interested in seeing speficially what's needed for the school-based financial aid.

Hey Congrats to everybody. I'm not coming in as a MD student but just as excited to come to UofL from out of state, as well.

Hey Congrats to everybody. I'm not coming in as a MD student but just as excited to come to UofL from out of state, as well.

Good to see more people. Where are you coming from?

And, I've posted in the dental school class thread a bit more than here, seems to be more popular than this one.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to see more people. Where are you coming from?

And, I've posted in the dental school class thread a bit more than here, seems to be more popular than this one.:laugh:

haha...yea. We are almost to 6 pages. A few of us (myself included) have jobs before we start school where we get on SDN forums because its one of the few sites that we can actually access.

I'll be coming in from Texas. We'll have about 80 people total in our DMD class (Of that we tallied it up from the first names on the roster that there are 50 females to 30 males...) It kind of makes it hard to find a roommate knowing that some of those people are already married or have a family that they will be living with.

I dont attend yet but Ill be there in this summer

Well, I'm here in Louisville this week. My girlfriend and I have been having a good time.

We've checked out a few places to live, including Phoenix Place. I have heard it's not the best place, but I have to disagree. I guess it used to be a ghetto, or at least located around a few. Apparently they were torn down, and it looks like they're expanding the health sciences research buildings into areas close by. I've been to some nasty areas of south-side Chicago (which I would consider a ghetto), and it's nothing like that.

Anyway, my little rant on that. I think I'm going to try and find a place on Bardstown Rd., but I'm holding Phoenix Place in reserve.

It rained a ton today, we've been making good use of our rain jackets (very glad I have a part time job at REI right now:laugh:).

astrocreep,

I'll be there first week of April-- any recommendations on cheap places to stay? things to do while i'm there? Also, were you able to set up a tour or meet with any current students?

I'm not sure how the living arrangements will work yet-- i need to look around when i get there.

astrocreep,

I'll be there first week of April-- any recommendations on cheap places to stay? things to do while i'm there? Also, were you able to set up a tour or meet with any current students?

I'm not sure how the living arrangements will work yet-- i need to look around when i get there.

I'll have to think on the hotels to stay at. We hit a Ramada Inn near the Expo center, and I would not recommend this location. It's not bad, but it's not within walking distance of anything.

We had a rental car reserved, but the agency screwed up our reservation (twice), and we ended up without a car. So we've been relying on getting a taxi to take us into town and then walking around from there. I don't mind the walking, coming from SLC with an elevation of ~4500 feet and series of large hills, the walking here is a piece of cake.

The people at the school have been extraordinarily nice, though. The professors I've talked to have taken a chunk of time out of their day to meet with me, I got to round with residents in the ER (there was a patient here from Detroit who picked up a rattle-snake bite at a party; not sure why he ended up here, but they best I can come up with is this was the closest hospital with the anti-venin), and all of the ancillary staff are very friendly. One secretary drove us from the hospital to a grocery store in the city, and then to our hotel. Otherwise I haven't had time to stop by the health sciences building, will do tomorrow, but I think it's spring break, and I'm not expecting to run into many 1-2 year students.

For stuff to do: Bardstown/Baxter area is a legitimately cool area, with lots of small shops and tons of bars. Fun place to walk down. Lots of rain. Stay away from La Bomba Mexican food. True, the burritos are as big as your head, but that doesn't mean they're good burritos. I've heard La Azteca has some good Mexican fair.

We've mostly just been walking around to get a feel for the city, else I'd tell you more of what to do. Without a car, that's about as much as we've been able to muster.

Sorry to ramble, I'm a bit tired. It's turning out to be a great trip, though, and I think I'll like Louisville quite a bit.

Hey Weoh - I would like to have responded earlier, but it looks like you're taking off to Louisville soon. If you have not already booked a hotel, I will see if I can get some information to you in the next two days. We picked up a bag full (literally) of handouts from the visitor's centers, including info on where to stay. I could relay that to you as soon as I get it back from my girlfriend.

One thing that helped immensely was to stop by the visitor's centers. There is one in Downtown Louisville, about a block from the 4th street live thing (real easy to find). There's also one in Old Louisville (not hard to find, ask around, but I can't remember the address). People at both places were extremely helpful. We didn't stop by those places until half-way through the trip, and it would have made it much easier.

Hai guys, I'll be up with you in August so I figured I'd drop a line :)

Well boys and girls,

Looks like I'll be making the move to Louisville on the 17th of May, I should be in town around the 19th or 20th. I have an apartment set up and I just bought furniture, so we'll have to have an SDN party!

astrocreep et al, I've decided to withdraw from UofL, but wanted to wish you all the best of luck.

Hey astrocreep, I interviewed with a bunch of guys from Utah. I can't remember my interview date, I think it was like Sept. 27/28. Anyway I'll be attending UofL and can't wait! Although right now I am going through the "freaking out" stage. I must say I can't wait for Anatomy and Histo! My fiancee and I moved some stuff ysterday to our condo we bought off Brownsboro RD. Any other future Cardinals here?

Andrew

Hey astrocreep, I interviewed with a bunch of guys from Utah. I can't remember my interview date, I think it was like Sept. 27/28. Anyway I'll be attending UofL and can't wait! Although right now I am going through the "freaking out" stage. I must say I can't wait for Anatomy and Histo! My fiancee and I moved some stuff ysterday to our condo we bought off Brownsboro RD. Any other future Cardinals here?

Andrew

Yeah, that was the day I interviewed. I'm sure we've met. I'll be moving in this weekend.

Yeah, that was the day I interviewed. I'm sure we've met. I'll be moving in this weekend.

So what made you decide to pay the big bucks and come to Louisville? Just curious. All the doctors I worked with in the operating room in my hometown really steered me towards UofL over UK. Everyone said the clinical education was superior to UK.

I think I am going to try to be a Histology lab TA. I took it last semester and we used the same book that's required for Colella's class. I read the whole thing! We definitely went into more depth than we will in August (I hope anyway). Still it's pretty intimidating to cover that course in 9 weeks. It should be interesting though!

Andrew

So what made you decide to pay the big bucks and come to Louisville? Just curious. All the doctors I worked with in the operating room in my hometown really steered me towards UofL over UK. Everyone said the clinical education was superior to UK.

I think I am going to try to be a Histology lab TA. I took it last semester and we used the same book that's required for Colella's class. I read the whole thing! We definitely went into more depth than we will in August (I hope anyway). Still it's pretty intimidating to cover that course in 9 weeks. It should be interesting though!

Andrew

Well, I only applied to a small handful of schools, and it was coming down to U of L and my state school (U of Utah). Didn't get into my state school.

But, I was secretly wishing it would work out this way, I was only going to attend the U of U because of the money. My state school is a decent enough one, but I didn't really like my interview day, and I have mixed emotions about the admin/faculty there. The U of L faculty have been exceedingly nice, and I like the opportunities they give students. I'll be starting a research project this Summer under the SRSP program and I couldn't be happier.

Edit - forgot to add, it looks like the clinical years will be good. I stopped by the ED while I was there in March and rounded with the residents. A bunch of oddball cases including a rattlesnake bite from Detroit. Good stuff.

Well, I only applied to a small handful of schools, and it was coming down to U of L and my state school (U of Utah). Didn't get into my state school.

But, I was secretly wishing it would work out this way, I was only going to attend the U of U because of the money. My state school is a decent enough one, but I didn't really like my interview day, and I have mixed emotions about the admin/faculty there. The U of L faculty have been exceedingly nice, and I like the opportunities they give students. I'll be starting a research project this Summer under the SRSP program and I couldn't be happier.

Edit - forgot to add, it looks like the clinical years will be good. I stopped by the ED while I was there in March and rounded with the residents. A bunch of oddball cases including a rattlesnake bite from Detroit. Good stuff.

Sounds great man. I wanted to do a research project this summer, but I'm getting married June 28th and it wouldn't work out with our honeymoon scheduled for the week after. So I will just take the summer off. What kind of project are you going to be doing? They have so much great stuff going on at Louisville. Have you heard about Dr. Roisen's research? He is the Anatomy dept head. The guy is growing neurons from olfactory musosa epithelium. Pretty awesome stuff!

I think we should have a pretty good class. 10 people from my undergraduate school will be in our class (Western Kentucky U.) so all of us are excited we have a familiar group.

My cousin graduated last year from U of L. He is in a Urology program at UAB and is finishing up his first year surgical rotation. He said he has been really frustrated at UAB because they let him do more surgery as a student at Louisville. That's pretty exciting!

I have another friend who is a first year. He said that on one of his first preceptorships for ICM they let him do the opening incision on a back surgery. Awesome stuff!

Andrew

Sounds great man. I wanted to do a research project this summer, but I'm getting married June 28th and it wouldn't work out with our honeymoon scheduled for the week after. So I will just take the summer off. What kind of project are you going to be doing? They have so much great stuff going on at Louisville. Have you heard about Dr. Roisen's research? He is the Anatomy dept head. The guy is growing neurons from olfactory musosa epithelium. Pretty awesome stuff!

I think we should have a pretty good class. 10 people from my undergraduate school will be in our class (Western Kentucky U.) so all of us are excited we have a familiar group.

My cousin graduated last year from U of L. He is in a Urology program at UAB and is finishing up his first year surgical rotation. He said he has been really frustrated at UAB because they let him do more surgery as a student at Louisville. That's pretty exciting!

I have another friend who is a first year. He said that on one of his first preceptorships for ICM they let him do the opening incision on a back surgery. Awesome stuff!

Andrew

The research is going to be in orthopaedic surgery. We will evaluate the stability of two different repairs for a certain type of fracture. It doesn't sound like the most technical research lab of the ones they offered, but I get to dissect my own cadavers, and work with a plastic surgeon and an orthopaedic fellow in the lab. Plus it sounds like I get to do a lot of stuff myself and there should be a publication at the end of the Summer. Should be a blast.

I haven't heard about Dr. Roisen, but I'm pretty new to the whole U of L experience.

At any rate, sounds like everything is going to be great, and I'm definitely excited! Good to hear about the positive clincals!

-Zach

Well, I'm moved into the Crescent Center. I think my research begins next Tuesday, so in the mean time I get to hang out and get drunk.

The drive was long. We left Friday but we got a late start. We pulled in Sunday at about midnight. All told, it was about 1600 miles. I thought we could do it in a 4 hour/8 hour/4 hour break-up of shifts, but I was basing this off of road trips I've done in cars. My 24' Budget truck couldn't reliably top 65mph and we had to stop for a bathroom break every other hour. So...we ended up doing a 4 hour/15 hour/15 hour break-up for our driving shifts. It sucked, and late at night on the final night I couldn't tell if we were driving uphill, downhill, or flat. Weird.

Anyway, the move went pretty smooth. At about 10:30AM on Monday morning, a bum stole my toolbox with about $600 worth of tools from the sidewalk. I didn't go far, and I thought I could keep my eyes on it, but I came back and found it missing. Then about 20 minutes later my girlfriend noticed a guy struggling to carry a big red box down the street, so I ran after him. By the time I found him he had it in a shopping cart and was running down the alley. I politely asked him for my tools back and needless to say I now have them all back.:laugh:

We have our place all set up, and the apartment is pretty nice. We have a ton of space here, but I couldn't get my couch in the place. We tried forcing it in until we heard a loud crack, and then I noticed my couch was a bit saggy. So, we threw it in a dumpster and had fun for an hour sawing and hammering it into a neat little package.:thumbup:

Good times overall. The place is nice, if not a little loud with the traffic directly outside. But a small drawback for having a microbrewery, coffee shop, liquor store, restaurant, store, and medical school all within walking distance of my place.

What are you guys doing about the info on Blackboard (immunizations, gross lab letter, microscope rentals, etc.)? I never got any of this stuff in the mail, nor did I get an email saying to do anything with it so I don't if I should take care of those things yet or not? Some things I did get regular or e-mails about after they appeared on Blackboard (white coat ceremony, housing day) but not these things. I guess I would be better off just doing these things? It can't hurt anything, right? I'm just pretty disappointed in the whole organization of this pre-start-of-class process.

I concur on the organization. I just went ahead and did everything I could .. anyone hear anything about financial aid and picking a lender yet?

Glad I'm not alone.
And I haven't heard anything about financial aid yet either.

I just clicked the financial aid link in my Ulink and my available aid is viewable now.

I got my financial aid too. I'm happy to know it's all there, but the $62k loan was a bit of a kick in the teeth. It'll all pay off eventually...right?

Hey everyone -

I got to see the cadavers we will use for anatomy. There are currently 82 reserved for medical students, although Dr. Acland (sp?) said there will be about 4 students to a cadaver. They're pickled in 5% formaldahyde and waiting.

Last edited:
Hey everyone -

I got to see the cadavers we will use for anatomy. There are currently 82 reserved for medical students, although Dr. Acland (sp?) said there will be about 4 students to a cadaver. They're pickled in 5% formaldahyde and waiting.

Sweet. Go ahead and pick out a nice thin one for me. Not too thin though! I really don't want to be digging through fat all semester. At pre-orientation a 1st year that was showing us around said his cadaver was HUGE. He said towards the end of the semester he was commenting on it with a gross professor and the prof said "why didn't you tell me? I could have gotten you a different one." Nice huh?

In other news, who else is upset about the white coat ceremony? I'm sure they are thinking that everyone should only be able to invite thier parents, but what about those of us who are married? My parents are going to have to draw straws to see which one can come to the ceremony. That's just not right. Let's remember this when it's our turn to plan the ceremony and have it at a larger location.

In other news, who else is upset about the white coat ceremony? I'm sure they are thinking that everyone should only be able to invite thier parents, but what about those of us who are married? My parents are going to have to draw straws to see which one can come to the ceremony. That's just not right. Let's remember this when it's our turn to plan the ceremony and have it at a larger location.

I, too, am upset about the guest limit, but I have a message to pass on. Ashely Jessie (the one coordinating this year's ceremony) tried really hard to find a new location, but it didn't work out. They also had a 2 guest limit her year and everyone hated it. She has asked me to spread the word that it's not her fault! She tried! :oops: And I know this info is true as she is my roommate :D

FYI on our class' facebook group wall, people have been selling their 2nd tickets if they only have one person coming, so you might try that.