U of Louisville vs U of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilek22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have interviews to both but I am now at a number that I can consider dropping interviews. I don't know much about either program training wise, lifestyle wise, or location wise. I might be more concerned about the location of Louisville considering I'm brown married to a white guy with a mixed child and we're all atheists. On the other hand, I am from the midwest already and neither race/ethnicity nor religion have been a problem. Tampa, Florida I just don't know anything about other than its close to the beach and disney world. If anyone has input on location or, more importantly, training I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Kentucky itself is pretty conservative, but Louisville is somewhat of a blue bubble.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had three colleagues who trained at Louisville who had nothing but positive things to say about their residency.

Apparently, Louisville is often described as "the Portland of the South". It's not all Jesus and frat boys there. There's a significant liberal population. The really conservative ppl are generally the ones out in the boonies who don't have expose to anything but other people like them. I know a polyamorous pansexual atheist who lives there very happily. And I've heard good things about the program even outside of SDN. I can't speak for Tampa.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently, Louisville is often described as "the Portland of the South".

Haha. I'm sure Louisville is fine/great, but I've now heard Austin, Nashville, and Louisville all called this.

In reference to USF, if you have no other draws to the area; you need to ask yourself how interested are you in geriatrics.

Interviewed at USF and I thought it was a very solid program with nice and pleasant residents/attendings/program director. Strong VA connection but you also get plenty of outpatient work 3rd year year. Personally, I like the Tampa area and the city itself though you do have to deal with 4-5 months of pretty humid weather in the summer but the fall, winter and spring times are absolutely gorgeous. Other plus side for FL, no income tax. You will have no issue with your beliefs and multi-racial marriage in Tampa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Louisville is a fantastic city, with lots of activities from (college) basketball to (college) football, to horseracing, to wine and bourbon. We also hosted the Ironman this year. For the size, it has an amazing local eateries/food scene. Despite sterotypes from the region it sits in, Louisville has an inordiantely large Roman Catholic population as opposed to more evangelical bible thumpers. :)

Louisville is a fantastic city, with lots of activities from (college) basketball to (college) football, to horseracing, to wine and bourbon. We also hosted the Ironman this year. For the size, it has an amazing local eateries/food scene. Despite sterotypes from the region it sits in, Louisville has an inordiantely large Roman Catholic population as opposed to more evangelical bible thumpers. :)

Are these supposed to be better than the others? :meh:

For example, you would be very hard-pressed to find a Catholic creationist.

For what it is worth, UofL's hospital is now run by a Catholic health group, but rather ingeniously and despite its location on the third floor, the entire OB/Gyn floor is technically not part of the hospital at all.

For example, you would be very hard-pressed to find a Catholic creationist.

For what it is worth, UofL's hospital is now run by a Catholic health group, but rather ingeniously and despite its location on the third floor, the entire OB/Gyn floor is technically not part of the hospital at all.

I thought they were asking about the college sports and bourbon scene. :)

It's expensive and full of Californians who don't understand irony or sarcasm?

Haha, I don't know. I didn't come up with the moniker. I was surprised by it, but everyone else in the convo seemed to accept it as a legit description.

Snarkiness aside, I can say with authority that there's a huge difference in the typical catholic and the Kim Davis types you can find in some parts of Kentucky.

Thanks guys, I'm sold on louisville. Tampa would have been way too long of a drive for us anyways.

I'm trying to decide which one to rank higher between u of Louisville and u of Maryland. I already know Maryland has horrible hours. I'm looking for work life balance so I will be ranking Maryland lower. Does anyone remember how the hours are for Louisville?

I don't remember what they were exactly but I remember thinking it was less than average and possibly bordering on too relaxed. Hopefully someone else can give you numbers

I'm trying to decide which one to rank higher between u of Louisville and u of Maryland. I already know Maryland has horrible hours. I'm looking for work life balance so I will be ranking Maryland lower. Does anyone remember how the hours are for Louisville?

A chief was able to count on one hand the number of weeks he had hit 60 hours on-service in his time in the program at UofL.

I don't remember what they were exactly but I remember thinking it was less than average and possibly bordering on too relaxed. Hopefully someone else can give you numbers

Interestingly, one of the applicants on my interview day at Louisville told me he would likely be ranking the program last because the hours seemed heavier than the other places he had interviewed and the residents seemed more stressed. I didn't take notes myself, but I remember he had written down the hours on several services, and the average he had gotten was ~55 hrs/wk. He felt this was too much.

I didn't think they seemed too stressed, but the hours did seem more intense than at the programs I had interviewed with up to that point (UKy, Case Western, UVA, Utah). Maybe I'm just getting defensive because it's my home state, but I didn't think it too relaxed. In terms of places I interviewed, it seemed middle of the road.

Interestingly, one of the applicants on my interview day at Louisville told me he would likely be ranking the program last because the hours seemed heavier than the other places he had interviewed and the residents seemed more stressed. I didn't take notes myself, but I remember he had written down the hours on several services, and the average he had gotten was ~55 hrs/wk. He felt this was too much.
if he thinks that 55 hrs a week is too much for an intern or junior resident he is in for a rude awakening

Looking at recent duty hour logging, my third year residents and I work approx 55-60 hours a week, and that's largely due to nearly our entire class moonlighting. Third year is pretty straight forward, you show up at the clinic for 8am patient, see folks until 5. On Thursday you usually wrap up an hour or so later, but don't have clinical duties in the morning and didactics don't start until 9am.

Second year the hours aren't that different, just 1-2 extra call shifts a month unless you're on nightfloat.(1-2 as a third year versus 2-3 as a 2nd). As a second year in the hospital I showed up at 7 and left at 5 typically. Night float was different so we had more call.

Is it too laid back? I certainly don't think so. I have more than enough stuff to challenge myself between teaching, working on other research projects, writing papers, and moonlighting. A lot of the teaching and writing I don't factor into my hours, because I just log patient care.

As far as 55 hours being too much, sure if you are used to working in retail, but as a resident? Give me a break.

As a side note, the Chiefs were actually concerned about what time some second year residents were leaving work during the week, typically between 6 and 7. We met with them to see if we could improve work flow, and it was essentially they liked having a relaxed pace, came in a bit later, there was teaching on the unit until that time anyway, and no one had a problem with it. Working too many hours has not come up at a single resident education committee meeting, nor has the feel from attendings that we don't work hard enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If I remember correctly there was no internal moonlighting at Louisville. I think residents went to another state to moonlight. Can anyone comment on their moonlighting situation?

If I remember correctly there was no internal moonlighting at Louisville. I think residents went to another state to moonlight. Can anyone comment on their moonlighting situation?

There internal moonlighting in their PES. Some people also talked about moonlighting at Central State, the state hospital not far away from Louisville.

But yes, this is where residents get flown up to Fargo for the weekend to moonlight.

I didn't think they seemed too stressed, but the hours did seem more intense than at the programs I had interviewed with up to that point (UKy, Case Western, UVA, Utah). Maybe I'm just getting defensive because it's my home state, but I didn't think it too relaxed. In terms of places I interviewed, it seemed middle of the road.

Perhaps this is neither here nor there at this point, but now that I'm at UVA, I'd like to clarify that my impression of their work schedule was quite inaccurate. It is not light at all. It is one of the heaviest among the places I interviewed in terms of hours worked. Inpatient psych is 10+ hours a day/6 days a week. Consult psychiatry is 10-14 hours a day with half the weeks being 6 day weeks and half being 5 day week. It's over 60 hours a week on psych and you frequently have to switch back and forth between day and night. On some off service rotations, duty hours become an issue. The Toxicology elective has a light schedule, but that really seems to be it. The residents here are very cohesive and happy. I'm not complaining. I just wanted to make sure I don't wrongly give anyone the impression that this is a cushy program.