U of M resident arrested for altering evals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpsych1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...What would be the motive for lowering the evals of his colleagues?
according to the media reports, he lowered his colleagues evals so that he would "rank" better in comparison. So, he didn't need to jack his evals excessively high if he also lowered his ~competitions evals somewhat.

according to the media reports, he lowered his colleagues evals so that he would "rank" better in comparison. So, he didn't need to jack his evals excessively high if he also lowered his ~competitions evals somewhat.

Do residents generally consider their fellow residents to be competitors and if so why?

Do residents generally consider their fellow residents to be competitors and if so why?

Some programs (notably surgery) are pyramidal in the sense that the number of residents who graduate the program is fixed to be smaller than the number of residents who start the program. (Caveat is that I've only "heard" of such programs but never observed an actual example of one.) In such a situation the incentive for your evaluations to be better than your cohort is obvious.

Most programs are not pyramidal. The benefit of having better evaluations than the rest of your cohort is less obvious. Some people just like to curry favor with authority figures, and one way to (imperfectly) gauge this is to compare your evaluations to others in your cohort. In other specialties, applying for sub-specialty fellowship training can be extremely competitive. A program director has a limited number of "this is the strongest resident we have sent to your cardiology program in the past 5 years" superlatives to give out. Some people are just competitive by nature. One cannot simply expect patterns cultivated in the pressure-cooker of medical school to fade quickly during residency.

-AT.

Some programs (notably surgery) are pyramidal in the sense that the number of residents who graduate the program is fixed to be smaller than the number of residents who start the program. (Caveat is that I've only "heard" of such programs but never observed an actual example of one.) In such a situation the incentive for your evaluations to be better than your cohort is obvious.

It is a violation of ACGME/RRC rules to have a pyramidal program anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
In some senses, yes, there is some rivalry. However, I was never in a program in which there was a ~electronic/computerized transcript during residency. There was no way to really change "rankings". Also, after graduating, nobody in my program was "ranked" like ~first in class or val dictorian or etc... So, the story and sugested system is interesting and unfamiliar to me.
Some programs (notably surgery) are pyramidal in the sense that the number of residents who graduate the program is fixed to be smaller than the number of residents who start the program. (Caveat is that I've only "heard" of such programs but never observed an actual example of one.)...
The pyramidal system as you describe is no longer allowed. Accredited programs admit only the number of categorical interns as they are allowed to graduate categorical chiefs. You may have some turn over and changes in the "classes" as they progress. Some individuals may drop out, change residencies, not be continued and some may fall a class or two behind because of some years of research during residency. But, no programs are not allowed to run a pyramid system.

The pyramidal system as you describe is no longer allowed. Accredited programs admit only the number of categorical interns as they are allowed to graduate categorical chiefs. You may have some turn over and changes in the "classes" as they progress. Some individuals may drop out, change residencies, not be continued and some may fall a class or two behind because of some years of research during residency. But, no programs are not allowed to run a pyramid system.

In my perusal of FREIDA, I've seen programs seem to be pyramidal in that they say they have 30 PGY1 spots, but 6 PGY5 spots. What does this mean then? Is this because the website isn't updated or is it something else?

In my perusal of FREIDA, I've seen programs seem to be pyramidal in that they say they have 30 PGY1 spots, but 6 PGY5 spots. What does this mean then? Is this because the website isn't updated or is it something else?
It means they have 24 prelim/transitional spots and 6 categorical. Though, 24 seems alot, there is a ratio of categorical to prelim spots that are allowed. It is not a 1:1 ratio. I actually think it is a 2-4:1 ratio of prelim to categorical allowed.

Last edited:
He got probation. No jail time. Barred from practicing medicine.

According to the article, his lawyer said in court that he couldn't practice medicine due to the conviction. Without knowing the specifics, I'm thinking that the lawyer overspoke, equating conviction with inability to be licensed. After all, states would be incensed if other states made the decision for them who to license or not. If another state will is another question, but state license boards are fickle, egotistical, and, in some cases, just bizarre in their decisions.

According to the article, his lawyer said in court that he couldn't practice medicine due to the conviction. Without knowing the specifics, I'm thinking that the lawyer overspoke, equating conviction with inability to be licensed. After all, states would be incensed if other states made the decision for them who to license or not. If another state will is another question, but state license boards are fickle, egotistical, and, in some cases, just bizarre in their decisions.

Maybe not impossible to be licensed, but improbable. Some states are more in need than others though, I suppose.

Yep, he can just move to another state.

-AT.

Yep, he can just move to another state.

-AT.
My favorite line in the article is:

Rednam said it was "irrational insanity" and not money that had driven him to the crime.

If he said he did it for the money, got caught, and wouldn't do so again, perhaps Imight believe him. But how can you give a license to someone who admits they have "irrational insanity"?

...But how can you give a license to someone who admits they have "irrational insanity"?
:thumbup: Yep, the licensing board needs to have a reasonable expectation that someone given license will behave in a predictable and reliable fashion. Someone that just has impulses to engage in insanity, is not diagnosed, and does not seem to have a predictable "disease" that can be reasonably under treatment can not be trusted. Licensing boards provide licenses to bipolar, addicts, and other mental disorded physicians as long as they can show evidence of appropriate ~disease control.