nicole20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I just found out today that I got on the waitlist at Minnesota-Twin Cities and that they will inform me after all of the interviews have been completed if I get rejected, accepted, or on the alternate list.

Is anyone else in this same boat? Does anyone know if many people have been accepted off of this list in the past? I already have acceptances, but this waiting is definately depressing. Thanks for any input.

nona1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Status
nicole20 said:
I just found out today that I got on the waitlist at Minnesota-Twin Cities and that they will inform me after all of the interviews have been completed if I get rejected, accepted, or on the alternate list.

Is anyone else in this same boat? Does anyone know if many people have been accepted off of this list in the past? I already have acceptances, but this waiting is definately depressing. Thanks for any input.

I'm still waiting to hear... Are you in-state? When did you interview/how long did it take for you to hear back? Don't worry, I think they're almost done so you should be hearing sooner than later. :luck: :luck: :luck:

L'elephante

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
Yeah, I was waitlisted there too. I'm from Montana and during the interview, they really wanted to know why I would come to Minnesota when I could go to med. school at WICHE schools and pay a lot less. I called and asked what to expect with the waitlist and they told me that I most likely wouldn't hear anything until May 15th and then most of the people on the waitlist are put on the alternate list and then we can go online and check our ranking for that list. Does anyone know how many people are accepted off of the waitlist or alternate list?

OP
N

nicole20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
nona1 said:
I'm still waiting to hear... Are you in-state? When did you interview/how long did it take for you to hear back? Don't worry, I think they're almost done so you should be hearing sooner than later. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I am from North Dakota, but I go to the U. I interviewed on February 11th and I heard about my waitlist on the 5th. Good Luck!

L'elephante

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
nicole20 said:
I am from North Dakota, but I go to the U. I interviewed on February 11th and I heard about my waitlist on the 5th. Good Luck!
Nicole20, I'm just wondering if you know any of the stats for people on the waitlist that get accepted/rejected/alternate listed. I'm sure most of the waitlisted people get put on the alternatel list. Just wondering if you know anything. Thanks.

OP
N

nicole20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
L'elephante said:
Nicole20, I'm just wondering if you know any of the stats for people on the waitlist that get accepted/rejected/alternate listed. I'm sure most of the waitlisted people get put on the alternatel list. Just wondering if you know anything. Thanks.
I have no idea about this, but I wish I did.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
U of M is the last school I'm waiting to hear from. I interviewed on 2/21, and am really hoping to get some news soon. L'elephante, nicole: sorry to hear that you were waitlisted. I was really impressed with the school and the interview day.

RunnerND

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Just thought I'd put in my two cents. I applied at the U of Mn last year and landed on the waiting, then the alternate list. Anyhow, I remember getting the letter during the second week of May so be prepared to wait a bit.

As far as the alternate list goes, my interviewer said that last year somewhere around 15 people were taken off the list and past years have taken as many as 50-60. I hope some of this info helps out :thumbup:

AlaskaGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
Status
I am waiting to hear from the U as well. However, I only just interviewed there the first week in March and am probably going to be on the waitlist as well. How long did it take the rest of you to hear back from them after your interviews? Oh, and if you are waitlisted, do they email you or send it by snail mail? I know if you are accepted you get a call, but since that hasn't happened yet I am assuming the worst.

arkoleo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Status
Has anyone heard lately from the waitlist? been put on the alternate list, accepted, or rejected? just checking.... man the waiting is tough. Hope you guys are doing as welll with it as me

arkoleo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Status
Talked to Admissions today...
Said all waitlist letters will be sent out by Friday of next week. If a person is accepted instead of placed on the alternate then they will be called. I can't wait to know where I stand. Hope all is going well for you fellow waiters

adamj61

Fck'm Bucky
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Madison, WI
Status
I sent an email asking Dr. Becker to call a different number since I just recently left my phone in chicago...but its being mailed back, long story. So maybe she will see my name and remember to take me off. Couldnt hurt to email.

jjmack

15+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
LA
Status
MD/PhD Student, Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone waiting. I am almost 100% sure I will be withdrawing this week so good luck. If it matters I'm out of state.

hellomynameis

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status
hi everyone, i interviewed mid march and am still waiting :confused:

what day did people receive phone calls? i know the adcom meets on Wednesdays...

also, does anyone know if they are accepting more people? or if the people waiting to hear back are waitlisted?

any information would greatly help! good luck to all those waiting--almost there!!

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
jjmack said:
Hey everyone waiting. I am almost 100% sure I will be withdrawing this week so good luck. If it matters I'm out of state.
Ditto. My decline letter is in the mail.

arkoleo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Status
hellomynameis said:
hi everyone, i interviewed mid march and am still waiting :confused:

what day did people receive phone calls? i know the adcom meets on Wednesdays...

also, does anyone know if they are accepting more people? or if the people waiting to hear back are waitlisted?

any information would greatly help! good luck to all those waiting--almost there!!
People that did not get in right away have been waitlisted until all other interviews were conducted and the adcom knows how many are withdrawing. I think because you interviewed so late, you will be waiting until this week also. So expect something this week or beging of next. They will have sent all notices out this week i belive... by friday to be exact
Best of luck to you

hellomynameis

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status
i got an email just now saying i am number 22 on the alternate list, and that i will fill any vacancies that result from withdrawls on the accepted class list.

does anyone know how many people were accepted, and how many usually withdraw? is the alternate list different than the waiting list?

i just want to know my chances so i can start planning. i cant believe i waited this long, just to hear i have to wait longer. people, please start withdrawing--PLEASE :p

cece

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Cambridge, MA
Status
hellomynameis said:
i got an email just now saying i am number 22 on the alternate list, and that i will fill any vacancies that result from withdrawls on the accepted class list.

does anyone know how many people were accepted, and how many usually withdraw? is the alternate list different than the waiting list?

i just want to know my chances so i can start planning. i cant believe i waited this long, just to hear i have to wait longer. people, please start withdrawing--PLEASE :p
I withdrew yesterday... Good luck!

Sabrinne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Status
Medical Student
I withdrew three weeks ago. Good luck to all on the waitlist - I heard that it does move quite a bit. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
I heard today as well...13th on the alternate list...I heard that they took 11 people off the waitlist last year. Hopefully it wasn't #1 through 11, are there 13 people who are planning on or have withdrawn recently? I don't want to wait forever!!

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Hey guys, just found out today after multiple refreshes of my email. #18 on the list.

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Is there anyone out there that was put on the waitlist that has chosen not to remain on the waitlist?

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Has Anyone Heard anything yet? I haven't even gotten my official waitlist letter in the mail yet, has anyone else gotten it yet?

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
iheartuvm said:
Hey guys, send some serious luck vibes my way that I get off of the UVM waitlist asap and I'll give you my spot at UMN!! :D
I'm currently transmitting vibes...

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
iheartuvm said:
Hey guys, send some serious luck vibes my way that I get off of the UVM waitlist asap and I'll give you my spot at UMN!! :D

Good Vibes, tons of it, coming your way!

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Hey guys. If you haven't checked the waitlist hotline (option 1, 1, 4) the've taken 6 off the waitlist and 7 is now number 1.

Good luck!!!!

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Looks like they're slowing down. :(
As of Thursday May 19th--- #8 is now #1.

ou_sarah

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2005
Status
where did you hear that they only took 11 people last year?
#1= #9

then why would they keep an alternate list of like 100 people or more... It says on the hotline that #90 withdrew their spot on the alternate list... so there must be a ton of people on it. AHHH

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
#9 is now #1....I need five more people to drop...how about it guys??

hellomynameis

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status
ou_sarah said:
#1= #9

then why would they keep an alternate list of like 100 people or more... It says on the hotline that #90 withdrew their spot on the alternate list... so there must be a ton of people on it. AHHH
i heard 11 were taken off last year, 30 the year before and 60 the year before that.

im not really sure what to make of that data though because although it is on a downward trend, it is still only for the past three years.

i wonder in the years where there was more waitlist movement how many were taken off in the first few weeks. im hoping more of the snail mail letters come in by next week, and we can get a better idea.

sarah - are u also waited?

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
ou_sarah said:
#1= #9

I asked Marilyn Becker about the waitlist at my interview, and she said they only took 11 off the waitlist last year. Hopefully it'll be more this year. Is there anyone who's been accepted off the waitlist and thinking of declining? My roommate got in last friday (with their last batch of acceptances) and she just got her letter yesterday, so maybe a lot of those people haven't declined yet?

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
No changes since Thursday....is anyone else as antsy as I am? Maybe I should stop calling the hotline for a few days...

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Hey Bella, I'm here with you..

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
I'm seriously concerned that this may now slow to a crawl for the next few weeks.. :scared:

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
emusibay said:
I'm seriously concerned that this may now slow to a crawl for the next few weeks.. :scared:
:) Don't worry yet, the people who got admitted during the last cycle and those who got admitted off the waitlist still have a little bit of time to decide, maybe some spots will open up from that. I'm just trying to be optimistic here, I hope the movement doesn't slow down too much for at least another week or so! The waiting really is very anxiety causing...

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Yes, anxiety and I are rather close these days. :eek::scared:
I am trying to get ready (psychologically and otherwise) to attend another school, but I am also checking the alternate list hotline at U of M EVERY day to get a status check. This is a very interesting time indeed, but I'll just have to play it :cool: I guess..

:luck:

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
#12 is now #1...there's hope for us after all! I was looking at the waitlist thread from last year, and even in the middle of June #1 was still #1 (though more people had dropped their spots from the waitlist by then). So perhaps they're taking more off the waitlist this year?

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Chebella said:
#12 is now #1...there's hope for us after all! I was looking at the waitlist thread from last year, and even in the middle of June #1 was still #1 (though more people had dropped their spots from the waitlist by then). So perhaps they're taking more off the waitlist this year?
Chebella, nice research.. and you must be excited.. you're awfully close. I hope they get to 13 soon, and of course, I wouldn't mind if they then quickly got to #18. :D

Goodluck all! :luck:

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Another week without an acceptance from the good ole U of M...and it's a long weekend too. Waiting is excruciating, everytime my phone rings, my heart starts pounding (it only rang once today, and my friend on the other end was not very happy at how disappointed I sounded as I picked up the call). Have a good weekend fellow waitlisters, hopefully Tuesday will bring lots of movement? :)

Chebella

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Hey guys,

I just got the call! I'm going to be a doctor!!! Jeff just called me, and congratulated me on being accepted to the University of Minnesota! The list is moving, I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you still waiting. Best of luck!!! I'm so happy right now, it's unbelievable!!! :D

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
They're on 20, but I haven't heard from anyone yet and Jeff's phone is busy!!

emusibay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
krebse said:
no news anyone?
Hey Krebse.. last I heard #21 was #1. Seems they've slowed down quite a bit after Memorial Day.

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
I relinquished my spot at the U on Thursday, so hopefully one of you will be getting some good news shortly. It's a great school in a very underrated--but very cool--city, with superb facilities to boot. Good luck.