1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

U of Maryland - bumpy start with new building?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by 80B, Dec 6, 2005.

1. 80B

80B Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    To anyone considering the University of Maryland...have any of you gotten any clear information as to how bumpy the faculty predicts the transition to the new building will be?

I ask this because the technology in the new building is very important to me, so I'm wondering things like...will it all be functional as soon as we start?...if it is functional, will it be utilized by the professors (will they know how to use it)?

I don't want to be a guinea pig class for the first six months.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The real guinea pig class will be the 3rd years who have to figure out the labs first.

Though I'm under the impression that they're going to redo the curriculum and had basically NO info on what they were doing to give us. Did you get that impression too?

4. 80B

80B Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I got that impression too. While they may not know exactly how things are going to run now...I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're going to bust their asses through spring/summer putting everything together.

Something in the back of my mind is telling me its a bit unrealistic though...I mean, I was just walking through the place with a hard hat a few weeks ago.

It's definitely possible for them to pull it all together in time, the question is will they??

5. clp

clp Member
    5+ Year Member

i think you guys bring up good points... there is no doubt that the new building and all of its new technology are going to be great. but its a certainty that there will be a transition period, especially for profs and older folk who aren't as comfortable with technology in the first place.

don't get me wrong, maryland has a lot going for it. but if you're worried about being a guinnea pig, i think you might be right. if you think things are going to be up and running smoothly at the very start, then think again.

6. athena52

athena52 Junior Member

Dental Student
    The technology in the lecture halls isn't a huge issue - that should be easy to figure out in a short time period. by the time we are in the clinic 3rd and 4th year everything should be sorted out with clinical technology (as for as profs and the older folk go). they're doing some transition work with their curriculum, but the core science classes are still going to be taught and our class should be getting prepared well for the boards. being in this class may also give us a strong voice in what we'd like to see out of the program and have the changes implemented for us. i would see it as more of an advantage than disadvantage

7. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Right. But when I was there I remember Meehan saying that they were changing the way that the science classes worked os it might be possible to finish the classes before everyone else. When she was asked how it would work, she shrugged and seemed like she didn't have any idea how the courses were going to change. THat made me a little nervous to thinka bout that....I'd hate to go in there while they are completely redoing the core curriculum. :eek:

8. tom3

tom3 Gold Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    there were conflicting times as to when they thought the new building would be completely finished. i heard anywhere between june and october 2006. however, i don't think it would affect us really as we're mainly going to be doing classwork anyway.

personally, i don't mind being a guinea pig in a revised course curriculum (if that ends up being the case). if things are bumpy, i still think the advantages of the new facility far outweigh any possible disadvantages that might arise.

9. WonderY

WonderY Member
    5+ Year Member

What are the chances that the new school won't be completed by the time we matriculate? Since UMD is a little clueless with everything at this point, are they at least certain that the school will be done in the fall? I was at the reception with approx 50 other applicants, so there wasn't a lot of opportunities for minor & detail questions. I would hate to choose UMD and be stuck at the old school. I think nice facilities would definitely create an uplifting atmosphere for the students.

Did anyone get a chance to ask at your interview?