U of Maryland - REJECTED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTB

Managed Care Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a letter rejecting me from U of Maryland for Fall 2005.

Stating that they have "experienced a significant increase in the number and quality of applicants for its Doctor of Pharmacy program", I'm out. "The committee's decision was based on a comparison of your credentials with those of the other 1450 applicants. Unfortunately, the committee felt there were more qualified applicants across all areas considered."

WAH!!!!!

Oh well, I still have shots at other schools. Cross your fingers for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I am impatiently waiting for my rejection letter, I haven't received any yet. I am glad I didn't applied to Maryland, they would have sent the same letter.

oh man that sucks. i have an interview at Maryland next week. What was the essay question? How did the interview morning or afternoon go? According to the pharmcas data 250 were interviewed and 120 were accepted, so you should have almost a 50% chance once you get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh man that sucks. i have an interview at Maryland next week. What was the essay question? How did the interview morning or afternoon go? According to the pharmcas data 250 were interviewed and 120 were accepted, so you should have almost a 50% chance once you get an interview.

btw, why exactly is maryland so popular with people on this board? if you are from PA, wouldn't you prefer your state school?

pharmerted said:

btw, why exactly is maryland so popular with people on this board? if you are from PA, wouldn't you prefer your state school?

I think Maryland doesn't require reference letters, so that might be why it's a popular place to apply.

I didn't get an interview. I applied there because I'm older than the average pharmacy school applicant and I don't have 2 or 3 years to putz around and work part-time while I reapply the following years. I mean, I do, but I would like to retire someday. I applied to schools that were within a 3 hour radius of my home. Unfortunately and foolishly, I applied near the deadline for Maryland, and they have rolling admissions so that really reduced my chance for acceptance.

BTB said:
Just got a letter rejecting me from U of Maryland for Fall 2005.

Stating that they have "experienced a significant increase in the number and quality of applicants for its Doctor of Pharmacy program", I'm out. "The committee's decision was based on a comparison of your credentials with those of the other 1450 applicants. Unfortunately, the committee felt there were more qualified applicants across all areas considered."

WAH!!!!!

Oh well, I still have shots at other schools. Cross your fingers for me.

Heh, I received a letter like that from them in January. :laugh: Fine with me, though, since I'm happy with where I'll be going. :thumbup:

BTB said:
"The committee's decision was based on a comparison of your credentials with those of the other 1450 applicants. Unfortunately, the committee felt there were more qualified applicants across all areas considered."

That seems like a kinda harsh thing to say...talk about adding insult to injury. Good luck with those other schools!

tmbbmt said:
That seems like a kinda harsh thing to say...talk about adding insult to injury. Good luck with those other schools!

a poem by skp:

It may not be U of M,
but who needs them
and what the heck is a Terrapin

University of Maryland SUCKS!

good luck to everyone who applied to sucky schools and still has applications out there who have intelligent adcoms!!

;)

BTB said:
I didn't get an interview. I applied there because I'm older than the average pharmacy school applicant and I don't have 2 or 3 years to putz around and work part-time while I reapply the following years. I mean, I do, but I would like to retire someday. I applied to schools that were within a 3 hour radius of my home. Unfortunately and foolishly, I applied near the deadline for Maryland, and they have rolling admissions so that really reduced my chance for acceptance.

Hey dont feel bad about when you turned in your app. I turned in mine in early october. I have already been accepted to 2 other schools, I live in MD and they still dont want me. :(

Oh, well I'll just move out of MD!

bbmuffin said:
University of Maryland SUCKS!

good luck to everyone who applied to sucky schools and still has applications out there who have intelligent adcoms!!

;)

lol

i thought of writing that "bbmuffin would tell you that UMaryland sucks"
:laugh:

skp said:
a poem by skp:

It may not be U of M,
but who needs them
and what the heck is a Terrapin

Who wants turtle soup? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my rejection letter from University of Maryland is even better. It said specifically that my GPA and PCAT scores weren't competitive with the overall quality of their applicants, who had an avarage GPA of 3.5 and PCAT of 86. Wellll, both my GPA and PCATs were significantly higher than both of those! I called to check and make sure PharmCAS sent the right information and - after assuring that they did - was basically given a huge brush off of "yes, we acknowledge that does seem odd but we're not going to do anything about it."

CSzGirl said:
I think my rejection letter from University of Maryland is even better. It said specifically that my GPA and PCAT scores weren't competitive with the overall quality of their applicants, who had an avarage GPA of 3.5 and PCAT of 86. Wellll, both my GPA and PCATs were significantly higher than both of those! I called to check and make sure PharmCAS sent the right information and - after assuring that they did - was basically given a huge brush off of "yes, we acknowledge that does seem odd but we're not going to do anything about it."

You would think they would have some different letters for people who had the stats but still were not accepted. :mad:

tetra327 said:
You would think they would have some different letters for people who had the stats but still were not accepted. :mad:

Mine said, "The committee's decision was based on a comparison of your credentials withthose of the other 1450 applicants. Unfortunately, the committee felt there were more qualified applicants across all areas considered."

4.0 GPA with a BA in Biology and 99th percentile PCAT. And I have some other strong credentials including a very selective scholarship awarded to 2 undergrad and graduate students in the US, volunteer experience at a hospital ER, strong personal statement, diverse background with experiences in various areas in the world, and what not. So what is U of M really looking for? My letter said the exact same thing as y'alls and I wonder what "credentials" did those other 1450 applicants have, and what is the "credentials" that U of M mean? The letter says that "The committee felt there were more qualified applicants across all areas considered." Obviously there are unprecedented number of highly qualified applicants with higher stats than a 4.0 GPA and 99th percentile at PCAT and extra curricular activities, community services and cultural diversity. :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :mad:

classykaka said:
4.0 GPA with a BA in Biology and 99th percentile PCAT. And I have some other strong credentials including a very selective scholarship awarded to 2 undergrad and graduate students in the US, volunteer experience at a hospital ER, strong personal statement, diverse background with experiences in various areas in the world, and what not. So what is U of M really looking for? My letter said the exact same thing as y'alls and I wonder what "credentials" did those other 1450 applicants have, and what is the "credentials" that U of M mean? The letter says that "The committee felt there were more qualified applicants across all areas considered." Obviously there are unprecedented number of highly qualified applicants with higher stats than a 4.0 GPA and 99th percentile at PCAT and extra curricular activities, community services and cultural diversity. :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :mad:

classykaka that is really shocking :scared: ... I get why u would be so confused with their decision...so am I... You seem to have what the pharmacy schools look for... but it's their loss you know....keep up the good work.... g' luck for other schools!!? :thumbup:

My letter from them last year was exactly the same! I did apply near the end of the admissions cycle, though. Who knows what criteria they really use to make those decisions! Good luck to you!

I'm sorry to all those that were rejected as it is never a fun experience. In talking with friends who have applied to dental, medical, and pharmacy, I've decided that's there's just no rhyme or reason to this process. How is it that myself, with a 3.4 and 86th percentile gets into U of Maryland when someone with the same or better gets rejected? If it's any consolation, I got rejected at Oregon State and UK already. I even turned down an interview at Creighton so there's one less person to compete with there.

vennieboy42 said:
How is it that myself, with a 3.4 and 86th percentile gets into U of Maryland when someone with the same or better gets rejected?

This just shows that adcoms look at "the whole package", not just numbers. Your personality/extracuriculars, etc, probably impressed the committee more so than someone who had perfect scores. Congratulations for getting in! :)

You had a 3.4 and 86%? Good job. I think it had something to do with the fact that I submitted my app so late in their rolling admissions process. They were probably already close to full or really full by the time they got around to looking at my app.