Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

U of Miami acceptances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NTM, Mar 16, 2004.

1. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, any of you still haven't received your letter of acceptance in the mail? I was accepted Thursday March 4 and still haven't received it. How about the rest of you? How long did it take?

2. Alcon

Alcon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Congrats on your acceptance!

I got my letter no more than a week and a half after the call (e-mail). If you don't get it this week, perhaps you should call the admissions office and inquire about it.

3. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

Great thanks! Congrats to you too! Are you planning on attending? How about any other Miami people accepted to UM and where from?

4. theprizefighter

theprizefighter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, All

I'm interviewing at U of M this Friday for their MD/PhD program. I'm from PA. I wanted to know what you guys thought of the school and any other impressions/things to look for. I really appreciate this.

tpf

5. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

Well I'm from Miami and it was my first choice obviously. I love it and everything about it and cant wait to start. I dont think you could ask for a better place as far as doing research, patient contact, and south florida culture.

6. Alcon

Alcon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'll be there this August for sure. I know a couple people from my school (Emory) going there, both in and out of state.

I'm from Miami too, so it was an easy decision for me.

BTW, NTM, where are you planning to live? I'll probably start a thread for UM people to discuss housing, but perhaps you already know what's convenient.

7. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

I found this place called on South River drive. From my balcony you can see Jackson. Its off of 7th street and 5th avenue if you are familiar with that area. (Brickell, downtown area). I live in Brickell now and its very convenient and with Miami traffic, I realized I had to find something definitely close to the med school. Hopefully by next year I will be able to find some cool roomates to split the cost of living. How about you?

8. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    Well, I'm not applying right now, but a VERY VERY VERY GOOD Friend of mine got accepted a couple of weeks ago. She was telling me her acceptance was through an email.

She also told me that she didn't get anything through mail when we were talking about her acceptance.

9. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

oops! its not called "on south river drive" The name is NEO lofts and its pretty cool.

10. theprizefighter

theprizefighter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Please explain more about 'south Florida culture'.

tpf

11. ewing

ewing Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone going to the Boca open-house for admittees on Sat. April 17? I don't think I'll be able to make it.

Also, FYI, you need to send them a written confirmation that you're accepting their offer within two weeks of the date they mail it out (AMCAS traffic rules), so now would be a good time to send a letter to Dr. Hinkley at the office of admissions confirming that you are formally accepting his offer of a place in the class of 2008.

The hard-copy letter doesn't say anything unexpected or profound, for what it's worth.

Good luck everyone!

12. ewing

ewing Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hard to explain in English...you speak Spanish? :laugh:

J/k, I think what the OP means is Southern friendliness with multi-culturalism on par with New York City.

At least that's my sense of it, I'd be happy to hear what y'all think.

13. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

Southern friendliness may be a bit stretching it, but it definitely is multi-cultural. South Florida is definitely fast paced in my opinion but if you like a lot of excitement (i.e., social scene, sports, different foods, etc.) Miami is the place to be. However, the one thing I still have yet to get used to is the TRAFFIC. Man, does it suck. Even on the weekends.

14. mosfet

mosfet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey guys,
    I am interviewing at Miami on March 29th. I would appreciate any advice. Does anyone know if they are interviewing for the waitlist or are they still trying to fill up the class? And how long did you have to wait for their decision after your interview.

Cheers

15. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

i interviewed at the end of january and waited a month before being accepted.

16. mosfet

mosfet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks NTM....Congrats on your acceptance. How was the interview.

17. ewing

ewing Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's pretty late in the cycle, but I think that a lot of the people they have admitted (esp. out-of-staters) will end up matriculating elsewhere. My guess would be that when they ask acceptees to pony up a deposit to continue to hold their spots (in May I think), there'll suddenly be a lot of room in the class. I interviewed in January and they told us when we could expect to hear back (3-5 weeks, at that time). They do end up waitlisting a lot of people, and then taking a ot of people off of the waitlist. Just don't worry too much about it and assume that 98% of med school applicants will know where they're going to med school by the end of May. Odds are, you'll be one of them.

Good luck!! The interview is pretty laid-back, so don't sweat it too much.

18. mosfet

mosfet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks ewing. That was informative. BTW, I am an in-state resident, therefore I am thinking my chances at Miami are good.....but we will just have to wait and see.

But I DID hear that they take about 60-70 in-state people off the waitlist and I think that's a lot.

19. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was accepted (and am 99% sure I'll attend there) in late January. Does anyone have any clue how much the deposit is?

20. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

mosfat - thanks for the congrats and good luck to you! The interview day was great and very enjoyable. the doctor who interviewed me was quite nice and we basically chatted for a hour. The med students give you a tour as well and I was totally impressed with the medical campus. Overall, I enjoyed the entire day.

21. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    mosfet,

Dont' sweat the interview day!!! You'll hear talks on research, financial aid, the pursuit of medicine. Everyone in my interview group had great experiences with their interveiwers. Hinkley says they carefully pick their interviewers, and no one is doing it for the first time!

Be prepared to talk - a lot! 60 minutes is a LOT of time. We spent about half our time on medically-related issues (application, traints, etc) and the other half was on random things.

Best of luck!!!!!

22. Its pretty hard not to sweat in Miami, personally I was covered in sweat. But I still got in!

23. zinjanthropus

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    has anyone been rejected from miami post-interview?

i'm just curious because it seems to me they have a different strategy towards interviews/admissions compared to other programs. meaning, they accept a lot of the people they interview (245/300) so you have a decent shot of acceptance once you get an interview invite. therefore, my guess is that they waitlist the majority of people who do not receive outright acceptances post interview. Is this accurate?

24. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

I heard you have a 2/3 chance of getting accepted once interviewed.

25. Yeah, I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt that they reject people post-interview. You'll probably be placed on the waiting list worst case scenario and get in later.

26. NTM

NTM Member
    7+ Year Member

by the way, has anyone slacked off after their acceptance? If so what kind of grades have you guys been recieving?