U of Miami, Health Professions Mentoring program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrgmeist

Reaction score
I've just been accepted to the UM HPM program. I live in a tiny town in Alaska and have not had the opportunity for AP classes and rigor in math and science that many students get, so I think that the small, supportive, mentored program would be helpful for me. I'd like to find some opinions about the program from current or recent students, especially as it has been redesigned in the last 2 years. Anyone have opinions about the program? I will am hoping to visit the school soon as I have never been there. Also, I have been accepted to Stanford University and I know that would be a very different kind of experience than HPM at UM. I would love some guidance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

for undergrad I assume you mean?

UM HPS will provide you with a level of support that Stanford likely won't. UM HPS will help you do research and give you an MCAT class and help fill in those gaps that students who went to schools with more resources already got. I think it would be a good idea for you but that choice is really up to you.

Stanford is an incredible school - it is also closer to Alaska. It will have a pre-med advising office which will be able to provide you with some mentoring but it will be much less one-on-one and in-depth than this specific UM HPS program. Many students at Stanford will have taken 10-15 AP classes and will have the resources for their own MCAT prep classes and their own mentors. They will know how to reach out to faculty mentors for research opportunities and when to ask to shadow and for letters of recommendation. You can certainly get help with these things at Stanford, but UM HPS seems designed for students in your situation - therefore I would go where you have the best chance to succeed

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with Stanford, you would get good pre-med support at Stanford.