U of Miami interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picklebee

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there:

I was just invited to interview at Miami for the MD/PhD Program, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on hotels, airports to fly into, etc. I've never been to Florida (not even for vacation!) so I don't know really what to expect... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

picklebee said:
Hey there:

I was just invited to interview at Miami for the MD/PhD Program, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on hotels, airports to fly into, etc. I've never been to Florida (not even for vacation!) so I don't know really what to expect... Thanks!

i'm at UM undergrad. the med school is in the ghetto, but it's on the metro line so get a hotel on the line. there is a holiday inn right by the UM coral gables campus that is directly across the street from the university metro stop. you can take the metro for 1.00 to the med campus. it takes appx. 15 mins and in the morning the trains run about every 8 minutes. also, if you tell them you are there to visit UM they will give you a discount when you make your reservation. you will have to look up the phone number, but the hotel is on US1 or South Dixie Highway. As far as airports go, flying into MIA is the best option. taxi will put you back appx. 20 bucks to the hotel i listed. your other option is to stay at an airport hotel (one with free shuttle service to and from MIA) and just take a taxi in the morning to your interview. the med campus is really close to the airport so that would be your easiest, albeit least scenic, option. good luck!

Last year I stayed at the Days Inn across the street from the Medical school. It wasn't the best place, by any means, but I could have walked to campus if I had to (I'd recommend a taxi, though - 2 or 3 min ride). The adcoms will give you info on the hotel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Turninkoff said:
i'm at UM undergrad. the med school is in the ghetto, but it's on the metro line so get a hotel on the line. there is a holiday inn right by the UM coral gables campus that is directly across the street from the university metro stop. you can take the metro for 1.00 to the med campus. it takes appx. 15 mins and in the morning the trains run about every 8 minutes. also, if you tell them you are there to visit UM they will give you a discount when you make your reservation. you will have to look up the phone number, but the hotel is on US1 or South Dixie Highway. As far as airports go, flying into MIA is the best option. taxi will put you back appx. 20 bucks to the hotel i listed. your other option is to stay at an airport hotel (one with free shuttle service to and from MIA) and just take a taxi in the morning to your interview. the med campus is really close to the airport so that would be your easiest, albeit least scenic, option. good luck!
i am also a UM undergrad and miami native
the holiday in is NICER then the days inn by far
cheaper too
and the ride is under 10 mins on metro ...just follow a UM student need be..we all go downtown in flocks between campus - joke! but yeah the whole station is really helpful and its the cheapest / nicest way IMO
the # for that hotel is

305-667-5611

ummm u can try the mariott on dadeland station ( one more metro stop south of UM) but its more expensive...PM me if u need me to hunt their info..always say u are visting UM btw that gives u i think 10% i am not sure on this but a lot of shops give us 10% on UM logo stuff so i think thats what the whole CG area does...

oh and dont take a taxi
take the blue and yellow airport shuttles its $12 to UM campus / the holiday inn UM
it may be $13 max...

"The number for SuperShuttle information and reservations is (305) 871-2000"
it ranges from $9 - $13
good luck and i hope u have fun in my city <3

Whoo hoo!

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions :) I'm totally excited about visiting Miami, not just the school but the city itself. Since my interview's on a Friday, I'm thinking about staying around Saturday and doing a little exploring before I leave. Can't wait! Also, the fact that Miami seems very Metro-accessible makes me very happy. I've lived almost my whole life by public transportation... Thanks again~

dont get too metro happy!!!
hehe
its a lovely city i hope you have a great time - post bk when u do..with smiling sunshine pics!
best of luck with interview too - i love UM and am very happy @ their undergrad

picklebee said:
Whoo hoo!

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions :) I'm totally excited about visiting Miami, not just the school but the city itself. Since my interview's on a Friday, I'm thinking about staying around Saturday and doing a little exploring before I leave. Can't wait! Also, the fact that Miami seems very Metro-accessible makes me very happy. I've lived almost my whole life by public transportation... Thanks again~

you can't explore unless you rent a car. the metro doesn't go anywhere, seriously, it's only one line. it's possible to do some bus transfers, but its really time consuming a pain in the a**.