U of Miami Neurology Residency -- Experience/Away Rotation? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ej22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone comment on the Neurology residency experience at Miami Jackson Memorial? Resident happiness? Living in Miami, etc? I cannot find any info that is not several years old. They also have the list of their current neurology residents hidden for some reason... so I cannot find a current resident there to contact.
Or has anyone done an externship/away rotation at this institution? And discuss how their experience was?

I'm deciding between Miami and another (much lower prestigious neuro residency) for an away rotation. I am leaning towards the other program because I've heard wonderful things about how happy the residents are, quality of life there, and the program is overall pretty good. However, it is far from home/family for me.

Miami on the other hand is very close to family, and I have not lived near my family in 10 years. If doing an away at Miami would help me get in there for residency then I would attend the away at this institution instead. However, I know nothing about Miami, and have not heard any resident perspectives from the program. The few I have heard have been negative -- Spanish speaking patients very difficult, and other residents just did not like the program for some reason, but didn't tell me why. However, this was years back and now there is a new chairman. I also have no idea what living in Miami would be like. I also do not know if I even have a chance at this program b/c my step1 is low, step2 is avg. Everything else in my app is very strong - clinical grades HP, years of research in neurology, etc. The coordinator told me they have no cut off for step1 scores, but I still worry my chances of an interview there are slim even if I do an away there because it is a more prestigious program.

Any advice/experience/perspective or things you've heard about this school would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IM resident (not at U Miami) and did an away in neuro there and it's a solid program for people who speak Spanish IMO. Jackson and U Miami Hospital have a fair amount of Spanish speaking patients .. I used to live in south FL but not at the heart of Miami and I think it's a good place to live if you don't mind mingling with people from different cultures. If your step1 is < 220, your chances to land an interview there for residency might not be great. However, you should be fine for an away rotation regardless of your step1 score.

You might want to check that new program at Florida Atlantic University (~35-40 minutes north from U of Miami) if your step1 is <210...

Last edited: