U of Michigan asking for letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilkandSteel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally submitted the U of Michigan secondary just before the deadline. I know, I know, I'm bad. A day or two afterwards, I noticed this on the FAQ:

# Do I need to send in my letters of recommendation now?

No, we will request the letters if you are being considered for an interview.

I had sent my LORs immediately. I went back and checked my status page, and yes they were asking for it. I think that they had been asking for it since before I submitted my secondary, but at least the request was up almost immediately afterwards.

What does this mean, in terms of numbers? Do they interview everyone they ask for LOR from? Do they weed out only a few people, ie prolly those with a couple bad LORs? Or do they ask for LOR from a lot of people? Does anyone know anything about this? Numbers would be especially appreciated.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

~Silk and Steel

Members don't see this ad.

I finally submitted the U of Michigan secondary just before the deadline. I know, I know, I'm bad. A day or two afterwards, I noticed this on the FAQ:

# Do I need to send in my letters of recommendation now?

No, we will request the letters if you are being considered for an interview.

I had sent my LORs immediately. I went back and checked my status page, and yes they were asking for it. I think that they had been asking for it since before I submitted my secondary, but at least the request was up almost immediately afterwards.

What does this mean, in terms of numbers? Do they interview everyone they ask for LOR from? Do they weed out only a few people, ie prolly those with a couple bad LORs? Or do they ask for LOR from a lot of people? Does anyone know anything about this? Numbers would be especially appreciated.
Don't read too much into it, they don't specifically request LORs only from people they are going to interview. My understanding was that on everyone's status page, there is automatically a "request" for LORs. All that FAQ is saying is that to be offered an interview you don't need your LORs in but before your interview you need to submit them so that your file is complete.