U of Michigan IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have any info about Michigan IM, or if you interviewed there, please share w/ us your impressions about the program. I'd like to know if Michigan IM is considered among the best programs in the country, how malignant the program is, the quality of teaching, call schedule, how competitive it is to get into their program, and anything else you want to share.

I know they have a new chair - Lippmann I think.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Michigan recently and was impressed by the program. The residents seem bright and enthusiastic. Michigan has an interesting mix of general medicine ward months and required subspecialty ward months (in cards, heme/onc, gi, pulm). The facilities at the hospital seem above average; they did not give us a tour of the VA which is across the street. The program used to be regarded as malignant, but I think that reputation has changed in the past few years. Actually, with the new work-week requirements, I don't know if there will be any malignant programs out there anymore. Yeah, they have a new chairman, but they did not introduce him to us. He's probably a big prick or something.

I was at U of M two weeks ago for an interview and have a good friend in the residency program. Basically, here's the lowdown:

U of M is an excellent program. It has an awesome program director and a chair committed to education (i.e., he's allotted $100,000 to reward those attendings that get the best reviews from the residents). The hospital is relatively new--built in 1988. It has an amazing fellowship match list, extremely diverse array of patient pathology, and has excellent perks like alpha neumeric pagers available for paging through the net, an awesome computer system available from anywhere in the world, and great faculty. Ann Arbor's a great college town with lots to do, and has an excellent school system for those of you with kids (like myself).

I'm in the middle of my interview trail now, but U of M's on the tops of my list thus far. I think it's in the second tier of programs, comparable with the Wash U's of the country.

ps, Lippman's not a bad guy at all.