U of Michigan match list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluegill

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought y'all might wanna see this...

If you go to this link and click on the "pdf" icon, you can view U of Michigan's 2001 residency match list.

I think you need Adobe Reader to see the list.
http://msweb.med.umich.edu/magazine/spring/matchday/v7matchday.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. How about those Internal Medicine matches? It's a regular Who's Who Among Kick-Ass Hospitals! You've got your UCSF, your U of Michigan, your UT-Southwestern, your UCLA, your Beth Israel, your U Penn, your U of Washington, your Baylor, or your Mass General to choose from... Wow!

To the naysayers who have told me that the "prestigious" residency programs don't want docs from a big midwestern university school, I think this is case closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that Michigan was ranked #4 nationwide by residency directors, not too shabby.

Well, for the people "in the know," UMich graduates go to some of the best residencies in the nation. I think it might be the private school (and east coast) bias that allows some people to think that you can only obtain the best residencies by going to Harvard, Hopkins, Duke, Penn, etc. Of course, perhaps I'm biased since I'm going to be starting UCSF this fall. But just take a look at UCSF's matchlist as well. :D

Vader-

Did you interview at Michigan? Did you consider going there before you decided on UCSF? They have a lot in common, except for location, of course.

Originally posted by bluegill:
•Vader-

Did you interview at Michigan? Did you consider going there before you decided on UCSF? They have a lot in common, except for location, of course.•

I actually didn't apply to Michigan, but have heard really good things about the school and hospital system. I chose UCSF over several private schools (and not for financial reasons). Unlike many of the people on this site and others (and society in general), I'm a firm believer in public education. Of course my private school buddies might not like to hear that. :D

Agreed. I literally can not comprehend how a top private medical school would be inherently better than a top public medical school. At places like UCSF and Michigan, we're going to have the same caliber professors and classmates as a Duke or Hopkins. In addition, our schools have access to easier state funding for facilities and research than private schools.

Some people don't like being around lower/middle income people, so I suppose this would lead them to go to an expensive private school without a reputation for giving financial aid. But if they harbor such an attitude, maybe they'll be miserable as doctors.

I enjoy being around all kinds of people (rich/poor, old/young, etc), and I think that a big public institution like UC or U of M will give me a more diversified class, especially in the socio-economic sense.

I'm not sure Michigan's public status necessarily provides for a more diverse class, socioeconomically or otherwise. After all, as far as public medical schools go, Michigan is quite expensive. It would cost me less money to attend many other state schools as an out-of-state resident than it will for me to attend Michigan as an in-state resident. A $20k in-state and a $30k out-of-state tuition is quite detrimental to Michigan having any "state school" financial advantage.

As for the USNews #4 hoopla, I think it's a load of bull. You won't catch me repeating that to any prospective med students in the next four years. Yes, if you put in the work, a Michigan degree can get you where you want to go. But there's no way I'm going to believe that is the 4th best match list in the country.

The fun begins in a week...

i agree with you. MIchigan aint all that !!

"It would cost me less money to attend many other state schools as an out-of-state resident than it will for me to attend
Michigan as an in-state resident."

Wait a second... I thought in-state tuition at U of M is just under $20,000. Can you please tell us where you can find out-of-state/private tuition for less than $20,000? I didn't find any when I was looking.

Otherwise, you make a good point. I guess Michigan's relatively high tuition (for a public school) might lessen the economic diversity of the incoming class. I forgot about that.

As for the #4 thing, I think that it is silly to assign a hard number to the reputation of a school. On the other hand, I think it is clear that Michigan grads do have a great reputation among residency directors - if they didn't, the hospitals I mentioned above wouldn't take so many U of M grads every year. I don't think anyone ever said that they have "the fourth best match list." Some people claim that they have the fourth best reputation among residency directors. Again, numbers-schmumbers; I was just trying to show that Michigan grads are able to snag great residencies, and that the best programs aren't turned off by it's location/public-status. It appears you agree with me on that, no?

Originally posted by bluegill:
•"It would cost me less money to attend many other state schools as an out-of-state resident than it will for me to attend
Michigan as an in-state resident."

Wait a second... I thought in-state tuition at U of M is just under $20,000. Can you please tell us where you can find out-of-state/private tuition for less than $20,000? I didn't find any when I was looking.•

Looking at the tuition alone can be misleading when trying to decide which school would be cheaper for you to go to. Many private schools offer hefty financial aid packages, often in the form of grants. Therefore, depending on a student's financial situation, it might be cheaper to go to UMich (especially if they don't qualify for financial aid at private schools), or it might be cheaper to go to a private school offering them a good package. The cost is highly variable depending on a student's financial background and what their parental income is -- it's a very individualized choice.

Not to take sides, but there are private schools with lower tuition than Michigan's in-state tuition. Howard jumps out as one.

With that said, Michigan is still an excellent school and is still cheaper than the average medical school.

BTW how would anyone know what is an impressive match list. I don't know jack about many hosptials, and the few I do know about all claim to be excellent. How is one to judge a good residency from a bad one? I'm curious as to what you all think.

Michigan is not your typical state university medical school. It is an incredibly well-funded (thru endowments)suburban medical center. The population that is served by it is not the large, underserved, & indigent population of Detroit (which are more covered by Wayne State & Henry Ford a little bit). Michigan's finances & location really make it more similar to Northwestern, Stanford, or Duke for peers with which to compare it to.