U of michigan or detroit mercy???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EAK27

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need info on the Michigan schools, which one has the better clinicl rep??? Any reccomendations on which one is better rated, has the higher out of state accepted vs in state ratio, and has more graduate programs??? Thanks, Liz

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would chose UofM because I am a football fan. I think they both have good reps clinicallywise. Overall, the UofM name elevates the school in most peoples minds. I really can;t be much of help, but I know someone who is going to Detroit dental this august, and personally I wouldn't want to spend 4 years with him, so I would go to Uof M

you'll prolly get more clinical experience and see a wider variety of cases at UDM. Their clinical facilites are also brand new.

Michigan was generally higher rated mostly because overall it's a better school and gets way more in research money (but ratings aren't done anymore for dental schools).

UM also has more graduate programs. UDM only has endo and ortho. UM has OMFS, peds, perio, endo, othro, pros, oral path, PH.D, numerous masters programs (occlusion, biomaterials, etc) as well as GPR and AEGD.

As for in vs out of state, both schools have sizeable contingents of out of state students. The numbers from the class of 2004 (which are the only ones I have, check the latest admission requirements book for updated numbers) are 55/76 in state for UDM, and 55/106 for UM.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Which one is cheaper? That was my #1 concern!;)

depends on if you're in state or not. UDM will run you something like 180,000 regardless. I'll be spending about 130,000 at UM as an instater although that's on the high end. It's possible to spend about 10,000 less. If you're out of state, you're looking at about the same cost as UDM.

i would definately go w/ U of M! If I had gotten in... I might have ended up there just cause EVERYONE at UCLA dent told me how awsome and great and wonder etc... oh well... sniff sniff I got rejected big time :( but too bad it's out in the middle of nowhere and I am glad I didn't get in for that :)

nycdoc...just wondering where are you going? hehehe cause NY is definately not cheap :p

steiner... that's a great reason to not go to a school hehehe but it's also silly ;)

One of the dentists I work with graduated UofM a couple of years ago. He has told me in past conversations that the Uof M is very research oriented. I'm not sure how that affects the clinical training, but the guy I work with is very skilled.