U of Michigan Prerequisites

egan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys have any info on U of M prerequisites? I'm on the quarter system at it says you need 5 quarter hours of soc, psyc, and a few others. One class on the quarter system is 4 units, so does this mean I'd have to take two psyc and two sociology classes which would be 8 units to cover the requirement?

I might have to call the admissions office, but was wondering if any of u guys knew about this. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hrmm I'm not too familiar with quarter credits and all that jazz, but I'm guessing they mean one semester/quarter's worth.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but could anyone tell me what exactly qualifies as a sociology course? Do many universities offer courses such as "Intro to Sociology" as they do for Psych? Mine certainly doesn't. Would most any social studies course fit the bill?

I recently got accepted to U of M and they accepted my sociology of religions class. Just as long as its sociology I think it is ok. You could also look at taking a course at a community college if your school doesn't offer ANY sociology courses at all. Usually if you send a description of the sociology class to the admissions office they'll tell you if it will work.

Members don't see this ad :)
With regard to the quarter units, I just filled out a secondary app to a school that wanted everything in quarter units. My course work is all semester based. The conversion was 1 semester credit = 1.5 quarter credits.

Hope that helps.

I was looking over the prerequisites for U of Michigan and one of the prerequisites is Microbiology. Looking at my university's course offering for the remainder of the school year, the only microbio class that was offered was this current fall quarter so basically I won't be able to meet this requirement. I realized taking a microbio class during the summer isn't a possibility since the school wants all the prerequisites completed by May according to their website:

"The beginning enrollment term for entering dental students has changed from Fall to Summer.* This means that the first year of dental school begins in late June each year.* Thus, for all accepted/matriculating students, all prerequisite courses MUST be successfully completed by May of the year you plan to enter dental school."

I've read that they don't accept community college courses to fulfill prerequisites so I'm pretty much out of luck. Since I've already applied, should I basically withdraw my application for U of Michigan now since meeting this prerequisite isn't a possibility?
Wow. Just call them for your own sake.

We are on the quarter system but we get semester credit for all our classes

I was looking over the prerequisites for U of Michigan and one of the prerequisites is Microbiology. Looking at my university's course offering for the remainder of the school year, the only microbio class that was offered was this current fall quarter so basically I won't be able to meet this requirement. I realized taking a microbio class during the summer isn't a possibility since the school wants all the prerequisites completed by May according to their website:

"The beginning enrollment term for entering dental students has changed from Fall to Summer.* This means that the first year of dental school begins in late June each year.* Thus, for all accepted/matriculating students, all prerequisite courses MUST be successfully completed by May of the year you plan to enter dental school."

I've read that they don't accept community college courses to fulfill prerequisites so I'm pretty much out of luck. Since I've already applied, should I basically withdraw my application for U of Michigan now since meeting this prerequisite isn't a possibility?

If I remember correctly, my school let's us take a class at another university around the area if they're not offering it this term... if you can do that, maybe that could be an option?

Just to clear things up. UM DOES accept CC credits. I got an interview there and I have around 70 CC credits.

Reactions: 1 user