U. of Mississippi...curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody went to U of Mississippi Med school and knew what the curriculum was like(PBL, lecture heavy, etc.). And if you knew what it was like as far as atmosphere(Competitive, stuck up or laid back, and the night life in Jackson and stuff like that.)

Members don't see this ad.

As of the date of publication, according to the U. Miss description of its curriculum in the MSAR there appears to be a traditional lecture-based curriculum.

Gower is right about the traditional lecture curriculum. We sit in the lecture hall for the most part of 8-5. They like to throw in some clinical correlations and small group discussions. These help to overcome the boredom of the lecture hall (a little bit!). We are graded on a 0-100 scale. Our class (upcoming MS-2) is pretty laid back. We have a lot of hardworking and intelligent students. But, for the most part, we're not competitive towards each other. Most people are willing to help each other. Study groups are common. However, I can't speak for other classes here (MS-1, MS-3, MS-4).
The professors are for the most part excellent. They tell me that there are some night spots around town. But I would not know --- between school, my wife, and 3 kids I have no extra time (except, of course, to check this message board). I hope this helps. If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you. Just e-mail me.
[email protected]