U of MN Duluth anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyo13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in going to duluth for med school and was just wondering what my chances are. if anyone out there got in or applied if you could post your stats, resident, rural, and any advice?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yoyo13 said:
I am very interested in going to duluth for med school and was just wondering what my chances are. if anyone out there got in or applied if you could post your stats, resident, rural, and any advice?
thanks

A good friend of mine attended UMD for medical school and is just starting his third year rotations in the TC right now. He graduated college with ~3.7 and had a 29 MCAT. He is/was also a MN resident. Strangely, he never articulated a strong desire to work in rural areas, but he was from a relatively small town, which is looked favorably upon. If you are absolutely fixated on attending UMD, I would definitely express an interest in rural medicine, as training physicians in underserved areas throughout the state is the school's mission.

I attend the U of M TC and applied to UMD and work with a lot of UMD med students currently-

Their secondary (in 2002) consisted of a lot of essay questions asking stuff like "Why do you want to go into rural medicine" and variations of this question. They also asked for a list of every place I have ever lived with population included. So I think being from a small town does help here...I didn't get asked for an interview because I think it was pretty clear I didn't intend to do any of the above and I don't recommend bsing through it like I did!

They officially say they only want people from Minnesota/NW Wisconsin/Canada who are interested in being rural physicians. They are also highly committed to providing quality healthcare for Native American populations. (Read between the lines here- if you are Native American, they will consider you in a different regard IMO). However, I do know people who do not fit this criteria at all who actually go there, so don't let it get you down. The three people I know aren't going into rural pc either. With that said however, I think you need to be honest and genuine about your interest in going into primary care and rural medicine, and that will help getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
jojo14 said:
I attend the U of M TC and applied to UMD and work with a lot of UMD med students currently-

Their secondary (in 2002) consisted of a lot of essay questions asking stuff like "Why do you want to go into rural medicine" and variations of this question. They also asked for a list of every place I have ever lived with population included. So I think being from a small town does help here...I didn't get asked for an interview because I think it was pretty clear I didn't intend to do any of the above and I don't recommend bsing through it like I did!

They officially say they only want people from Minnesota/NW Wisconsin/Canada who are interested in being rural physicians. They are also highly committed to providing quality healthcare for Native American populations. (Read between the lines here- if you are Native American, they will consider you in a different regard IMO). However, I do know people who do not fit this criteria at all who actually go there, so don't let it get you down. The three people I know aren't going into rural pc either. With that said however, I think you need to be honest and genuine about your interest in going into primary care and rural medicine, and that will help getting in.

anyone else?

yoyo13 said:
anyone else?

Long ago and far away, I applied to UMD. Basically, by the time I had returned from the post office to drop off my secondaries, the rejection letter was in my mail-box.

What has been stated above seems to be the prevailing opinion:

1) Preference to those from a small town, with clinical/shadow experience in a small town or rural area.

2) Preference to those who want to practice rural medicine (esp in MN).

I have heard that if you are from a big city, including the Twin Cities and suburbs, your chances are low.... this is anecdotal, not from an official source. It seems that many MN applicants apply there, knowing that they will be transferred to the main U of MN campus after the second year.... almost the same thing as attending the main U from the start.

Perhaps an AMCAS personal statement revolving around your desire to practice in a rural setting would be helpful. I don't remember if they have Early Decision.... maybe someone else here has that info?

I recently got my BA in Duluth and have had an advisor who has been on their admission committee in the past. One big thing with Minnesota schools in general is that your chances are incredibly increased if you're from the State or a very nearby state. They're trying to pump out doctors that will serve their respective area, and I think around 80% of students at UMD are from MN. Being from a small town or enjoying small town life is key. Their reasoning behind this is, that people from small towns and rural communities are more likely to return to them in the older adult life. I think in general you've got to really feel a drive towards primary care, family practice, and medicine in underserved rural areas. If that's you're interest this is a great school for you. I think if your not interested in those sorts of things, yet somehow find yourself at UMD, you may feel stuck or stifled.

I recently got my BA in Duluth and have had an advisor who has been on their admission committee in the past. One big thing with Minnesota schools in general is that your chances are incredibly increased if you're from the State or a very nearby state. They're trying to pump out doctors that will serve their respective area, and I think around 80% of students at UMD are from MN. Being from a small town or enjoying small town life is key. Their reasoning behind this is, that people from small towns and rural communities are more likely to return to them in the older adult life. I think in general you've got to really feel a drive towards primary care, family practice, and medicine in underserved rural areas. If that's you're interest this is a great school for you. I think if your not interested in those sorts of things, yet somehow find yourself at UMD, you may feel stuck or stifled.

I see where that guy is coming from, but... Studies have shown (sorry but I cant remember where the link is) that education focusing on rural practice will more likely lead to a graduate who wants to go into rural practice. In other words, peoples' pre-med desire to go into rural medicine is a worse predictor than their actual medical education. You may have to come off as if you want to go into rural med, primary care, native american indian res medicine, etc. to get your foot firmly in the door, but I know people who went to UMD and have no affiliation will any of the above options.

Way to dig up an old thread....

Anyways, for those interested in rural medicine or intense hands-on general practice rotations during year 3, the I've heard the RPAP (Rural Physician Associate Program) program is wonderful. A great opportunity to learn on-the-fly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the program also has a 12k stipend.

Hope to be there next fall... just got to see where the waitlist gets me when it starts moving.