U. of New Mexico Gen Surg and Probabtion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quack

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following statement was in an email from the Univ of New Mexico Gen Surg program. Anyone know what it's all about? Thanks.

"As you may know our residency program was placed on probation in 2000. Many changes were made as a result of that classification and we were reviewed again in May, 2002. The Residency Review Committee for Surgery met in October, 2002 and we were given full accreditation status for 4 years. "

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, New Mexico was placed on probation 2 years ago. The reason was pretty much because they beat the crap out of there residents and made their lives hell.

For what it's worth, I hear that they truly have made HUGE strides and have made large steps to create a quality program. The residents have it MUCH better now (this is second hand knowledge though).

Residency is so much nicer when you're not crying at least a few times per month...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at New Mexico, I asked the intern showing me around how many days off per month they got. He looked at me blankly and said, "per month? I'm trying to think if I've had a day off at all since I started."

Same response at Ohio State.

I didn't rank those programs...

Time off is for wimps. ;)

Yep, NM got spanked for its work hour violations, etc. like a lot of other programs. Not sure if things are better there, so would definitely encourage you to check it out with current residents.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox

I'd prefer to be a wimp then a nerd;)
have fun.

no offence... I'm PGY2 resident surgical nerd;)

yeah its like the 'twilight zone'... that final moment of ecstacy before hell breaks loose;)

Whew....I was coming off my argument on the hep C thread, all riled up, nearly launched into a snarling diatribe on defense of resident's rights before I realized you were being light hearted... :laugh:

Most of the people in my program have small children and are married. Our program has been in compliance with the one-day-off-in-seven recommendation for several years, and everyone is the better for it. Our absite averages are sky high, our numbers are huge, and everyone graduates still married to the person they started out with.

I'm in full support of ACGME restrictions on resident work hours, although I have strong reservation about their construction and how it applies to surgical training in particular.

Originally posted by womansurg
Whew....I was coming off my argument on the hep C thread, all riled up, nearly launched into a snarling diatribe on defense of resident's rights before I realized you were being light hearted... :laugh:

Believe me, as I lie here at 0830 on a Saturday morning, in my fluffy robe, watching videos with my good looking BF at my side and 2 cats at my feet, I totally appreciate time off! ;)

I wish I could say we adhere to things as rigidly- we're trying but just don't have the manpower to guarantee 1 in 7 off - it *may* average out to that some months with a full weekend off, but on some services with only a Chief and a junior, someone has to cover both Sat and Sun, come in write the notes etcf., and it ain't gonna be the Chief (they haved to be here both days anyway). It will be interesting to see things further evolve - they're a lot better than year's past but very few of us work only 80 hrs per week. But I do think all of the married Chiefs graduated with the same wife - at least these last 2 years!

on some services with only a Chief and a junior, someone has to cover both Sat and Sun, come in write the notes etcf., and it ain't gonna be the Chief
Aahh...we do it a bit different. We (the Chiefs) do rotate rounding with the juniors, so everyone gets some days off each month. On some services, there is only one resident, eg third year on pediatric surgery and a fourth year on cardiothoracic surg. In those cases folks trade off weekend rounding coverage, so still there are some days off. Usually it ends up being one weekend, rather than two, on those services.

The unique thing for us is that our call is 100% home call for years four and five, and actually for certain rotations as a junior as well. So we only come in on call if there is a big case going to the OR, or a red trauma, or to provide assistance if the juniors are struggling with some patient care issues. BIG difference if you can eat dinner with your family most nights as opposed to sitting in some call room every third day.

We exceed 80 hours commonly as well, but surg residents don't mind that, I think. Up to 100 hours feels just fine for most of us. When you start getting around 110 to 120 - it hurts, no doubt about it.

It's very important to have protected time off - time that you can be with your family, and go out of town for the day, and go work out, whatever. Surgeons don't need much, but none at all - like in some surgery programs - is unacceptable.

Enjoy your movie!