U of Pitt vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your impressions of these schools? Any current students from these schools have anything comments, good or bad, about your school?

Thanks for any information, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who interviewed and was accepted at Pitt last year. Though he ended up attending UPenn, he had great things to say about Pitt
VCU is a lower-ranked school, and in my opinion Pittsburgh is a better place to live than Richmond, so if I were you, I'd choose Pitt :)

jojay said:
What are your impressions of these schools? Any current students from these schools have anything comments, good or bad, about your school?

Thanks for any information, it is much appreciated!

I would second that advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked Pitt much better than VCU and it is a higher ranked school. My family and I currently live in Richmond so if I went to VCU we would not have to move and Pitt carries a $16K higher price tag.

What advantages would going to Pitt have in the long run, i.e. education, residencies, and jobs?

Guess I would rather attend Pitt but my family really likes where they are. I can't have both so I'm trying to decide.

Pitt is one of the best medical institutions in the world. Needless to say, coming from there opens doors you wouldn't even know needed to be opened. VCU is fine, but I'd be kicking myself for the rest of my life if I knew I could have gone to Pitt. I understand your family situation, which is always important to consider, but this is a MAJOR career move for you. You could always come back to Richmond later if you felt like it, but you could never go to Pitt Med again. Location is important to consider, but between these two schools, it is absolutely miniscule. If ever there was a reason for you to move, this would be it, and you will NOT regret it. I wish you the best with what you choose.

I don't know anything about Richmond but we are moving my family from a pretty comfy situation to go to Pitt b/c its a great place for kids. Granted, we bought a house across the river but I can walk my daughter to kindergarten, they have great kids community programs, and the (Fox Chapel) public school system is among the highest ranked in the country. Honestly, we really researched the performance indicators and whatnot, and the public schools out performed many of the very high priced private schools in our current community. AND housing is cheap-very cheap-at least compared to the Balto-Wash corridor. Good luck.

uptoolate said:
I don't know anything about Richmond but we are moving my family from a pretty comfy situation to go to Pitt b/c its a great place for kids. Granted, we bought a house across the river but I can walk my daughter to kindergarten, they have great kids community programs, and the (Fox Chapel) public school system is among the highest ranked in the country. Honestly, we really researched the performance indicators and whatnot, and the public schools out performed many of the very high priced private schools in our current community. AND housing is cheap-very cheap-at least compared to the Balto-Wash corridor. Good luck.

We were actually in Pittsburgh a week ago looking for houses in that same area, Aspinwall/Fox Chapel, to get an idea of prices. If I decide to go to Pitt it would be great to have another student/family in the area.

We just signed on a house in O'Hara. I'm hoping there's a bus route from Aspinwall to Oakland. Maybe we'll see each other on the bus?