U of Roch interview essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how strict they are with the finish at least 1 week before interview policy for responding to the essay questions? I have an interview coming up next Friday, but would love the weekend to work on this..

Members don't see this ad.

Not very strict. They have that deadline so that they can give the interviewers time to read your essays during their busy schedules. I forgot to write the essays until 2 days before my interview. When I remembered I immediately wrote them (in about 1 hour since I was panicking), sent them in via e-mail and called to make sure they got it. My interviewers all seemed to read them like 10-15 min before the interview (since they were 1 paragraph). I was accepted 5 weeks later.

Good luck!

Ms. J,
Did you write in complete sentances for your first prompt or bullets? It seemed like they just wanted a list since they only allow 25 words, but I didn't want to be off-putting.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first prompt was about what interests you want to continue/develop when you attend Rochester right? I wrote a paragraph.. much more than 25 words. I must have not noticed that limit since I submitted via e-mail because I passed the online deadline (they deactivate the submission button if you miss the 1 week deadline).

Ms. J,
Did you write in complete sentances for your first prompt or bullets? It seemed like they just wanted a list since they only allow 25 words, but I didn't want to be off-putting.

Are you sure the limit was 25 and not 250 words? I remember writing a concise paragraph for each essay question.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the Extracurricular Experiences section. Here is the prompt for convenience:

Please briefly list your four (4) most significant extra-curricular/volunteer experiences (add one at a time).

So, Do you "list" in complete sentances? This is nitpicking--I feel like a lame pre-med.

I think I might just list them, as in, not full sentences.

So, they DO deactivate it but they're not strict about the deadline? How do I submit it after the deadline?

Bump, just email?

For the Extracurricular section I just listed them in bullet format.

Yes they do deactivate the submit button 1 week prior to your interview. I e-mailed my essays to the contact they list on the status page and then called the office to make sure they got them. I then received confirmation e-mails the same day saying they had been received, passed along to my interviewers and not to worry.

I almost forgot to do mine but remembered the morning of my dartmouth interview while i was in NH. Thankfully the hotel had internet access, so i just did it that morning. I would get it done asap. What happened to Ms.J is probably an anomaly.

You guys will LOVE rochester