U of Southern California (Doheny) vs. UCLA (Jules Stein)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erasable

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts?

Just hoping to see if anyone can give me any info on either program. I liked both during my interviews, but if anyone has further knowledge, thatd be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

any thoughts?

Just hoping to see if anyone can give me any info on either program. I liked both during my interviews, but if anyone has further knowledge, thatd be great. Thanks!

UCLA has a 2 VAs, 2 County hospitals, and Jules Stein

USC has LA County and Doheny

UCLA is spread out (aka driving)

USC is on-site

UCLA has home call

USC has in-house call

UCLA is a slightly larger program (8 residents this year) than USC

Those are the obvious differences that come to mind...they are both top 10 programs that match into fellowship extremely well. Residents at both places work their tails off, especially 1st year. UCLA seems slightly more formal while USC is more down to earth, but that may just be my impression after interviewing at both places.

UCLA has this so-called 'malignant' reputation while USC does not; however, I had a lot of difficulty even interpreting any faculty behavior or resident opinions as being consistent with that reputation.

Either way it seems one would do well in either place if you are happy with the autonomy, diversity, volume, and location. Talking to other applicants it seems the biggest deciding factor will be how well you think you fit in with the residents at either place.