U of Sydney DMD vs. U of Melbourne DDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workcyrus

Cy Dent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are attending these schools or have friends/family attending, what is your honest opinion - about the program, school, teaching staff?
Which school offers the most clinical experience?
I know that both schools have PBL but is one school more PBL driven than the other?
Is Melbourne noticeably cheaper to live in than Sydney? Both schools are comparable in tuition costs but is the cost of living so much cheaper in Melbourne that it would be worth choosing on that fact alone?

I've done some of my own research over the last year but I thought I'd start a general post to hear more.

Members don't see this ad.

Is Melbourne noticeably cheaper to live in than Sydney? Both schools are comparable in tuition costs but is the cost of living so much cheaper in Melbourne that it would be worth choosing on that fact alone?
I can answer this one. Definitely yes. Sydney is way more expensive than Melbourne... not just the rent, but also the food, the public transport, etc.
But overall, it might be the difference between, say, $15k/year vs. $20k/year. It's a noticeable difference, but it's not huge when you look at your overall loans.

I love USyd med. I have a lot of friends who are in dental school, and they complain a lot about how heavy the workload is, but I'm sure that Melbourne is the same. In the end, if you asked any of them "if you had to do it again, would you?", they'd all say "yes."

I'm actually impressed by how much clinical experience they get. They start seeing real patients in 2nd year (after practicing on elaborate equipment/dummies/simulators before that), and they're basically just practicing under supervision during 3rd/4th years. But of course, I can't compare to Melbourne, since I don't know anybody there.

I can answer this one. Definitely yes. Sydney is way more expensive than Melbourne... not just the rent, but also the food, the public transport, etc.
But overall, it might be the difference between, say, $15k/year vs. $20k/year. It's a noticeable difference, but it's not huge when you look at your overall loans.

I love USyd med. I have a lot of friends who are in dental school, and they complain a lot about how heavy the workload is, but I'm sure that Melbourne is the same. In the end, if you asked any of them "if you had to do it again, would you?", they'd all say "yes."

I'm actually impressed by how much clinical experience they get. They start seeing real patients in 2nd year (after practicing on elaborate equipment/dummies/simulators before that), and they're basically just practicing under supervision during 3rd/4th years. But of course, I can't compare to Melbourne, since I don't know anybody there.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. It makes me feel a lot better about my decision in choosing USyd :)