1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

U of T Credit hours??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cleanup, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BobLoblawDDS

BobLoblawDDS Lost and confused
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So I went to the University of Toronto. We run on a basic 0.5 and 1.0 credit system where a semester course is 0.5 (regardless of lab & tutorial) and a yearlong course is 1.0 (regardless of lab & tutorial). I have been told that we are to convert halfyear lecture courses to 3 hours (which is accurate) and yearlong lecture courses to 6 hours (which is also accurate), but the fact is, at the University of Toronto LAB courses generally have 3 lecture hours, 2-3 lab hours every two weeks and 1 tutorial hour every week, which is approx. 10 hours every two weeks or 5 hours a week. Does this mean that I should put 5 credits on AADSAS? Similarly a fullyear lecture+lab course would be 5 hours a week, and since it's a yearlong course, that means it's 10 semester hours. Should I adjust these accordingly? I've been putting 4 and 8, but in all honesty, I did more! It's just confusing because at U of T we don't bother with semester hours.

Please advise!

#1 BobLoblawDDS, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Also, for year long courses, do I split them into both Fall and Winter semesters (3 credit hours each) or do I just put it as 6 credit hours in the Fall semester?? Don't want them to think I only took 2-3 courses one semester because the yearlong ones don't show up.

4. dskies

Pre-Dental
    I had the same questions.. You basically ignore the lab part. A 0.5 credit course is 3 hours and a 1.0 credit course is 6 hours. That's what I put anyway. I know it doesn't really make sense. Putting 4 and 8 hours works too probably (??). I e-mailed AADSAS and asked them a while ago and they said to just put 3 and 6. And for the 6 hour courses I included them in the fall semester only. It seemed to work for the AADSAS GPA calculation people.

5. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Argh, but does that not basically make it look like I didn't take as many hours as I actually did? ie. 13 hours versus like 18. I mean, I know American applicants put 4 and 8 for lab courses, at the very least.

I was just told that the U of T transcript doesn't have any credit hour conversion on it, so I'm calling AADSAS again just to make sure...

6. dskies

Pre-Dental
    Ya, I forget how I came to that conclusion. This is my second time applying so this time around I didn't have as much trouble with the conversions. I know it doesn't look like it was as many hours. I'm thinking it was because the back of my transcript had the 0.5=3 hours thing (UWO).

7. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Right. That's the thing, the U of T one doesn't. This is entirely unfair. It basically makes it look like I was a turd but in reality U of T courses are insane and I took upwards of 15 hours of class a week, and more often approaching 20.

8. dskies

Pre-Dental
    It first has to go through AADSAS GPA calcs, so I'm not sure if they look for the credit conversion on the transcript. I'd e-mail AADSAS they are pretty good about getting back to you in a day or two. Better losing time that way instead of sending it in only to get an email back saying you need to change something.