1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

U of T Credit hours??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cleanup, Jul 29, 2011.

1. BobLoblawDDS

BobLoblawDDS Lost and confused
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So I went to the University of Toronto. We run on a basic 0.5 and 1.0 credit system where a semester course is 0.5 (regardless of lab & tutorial) and a yearlong course is 1.0 (regardless of lab & tutorial). I have been told that we are to convert halfyear lecture courses to 3 hours (which is accurate) and yearlong lecture courses to 6 hours (which is also accurate), but the fact is, at the University of Toronto LAB courses generally have 3 lecture hours, 2-3 lab hours every two weeks and 1 tutorial hour every week, which is approx. 10 hours every two weeks or 5 hours a week. Does this mean that I should put 5 credits on AADSAS? Similarly a fullyear lecture+lab course would be 5 hours a week, and since it's a yearlong course, that means it's 10 semester hours. Should I adjust these accordingly? I've been putting 4 and 8, but in all honesty, I did more! It's just confusing because at U of T we don't bother with semester hours.

Please advise!

#1 BobLoblawDDS, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Also, for year long courses, do I split them into both Fall and Winter semesters (3 credit hours each) or do I just put it as 6 credit hours in the Fall semester?? Don't want them to think I only took 2-3 courses one semester because the yearlong ones don't show up.

4. dskies

Pre-Dental
    I had the same questions.. You basically ignore the lab part. A 0.5 credit course is 3 hours and a 1.0 credit course is 6 hours. That's what I put anyway. I know it doesn't really make sense. Putting 4 and 8 hours works too probably (??). I e-mailed AADSAS and asked them a while ago and they said to just put 3 and 6. And for the 6 hour courses I included them in the fall semester only. It seemed to work for the AADSAS GPA calculation people.

5. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Argh, but does that not basically make it look like I didn't take as many hours as I actually did? ie. 13 hours versus like 18. I mean, I know American applicants put 4 and 8 for lab courses, at the very least.

I was just told that the U of T transcript doesn't have any credit hour conversion on it, so I'm calling AADSAS again just to make sure...

6. dskies

Pre-Dental
    Ya, I forget how I came to that conclusion. This is my second time applying so this time around I didn't have as much trouble with the conversions. I know it doesn't look like it was as many hours. I'm thinking it was because the back of my transcript had the 0.5=3 hours thing (UWO).

7. BobLoblawDDS

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Right. That's the thing, the U of T one doesn't. This is entirely unfair. It basically makes it look like I was a turd but in reality U of T courses are insane and I took upwards of 15 hours of class a week, and more often approaching 20.

8. dskies

Pre-Dental
    It first has to go through AADSAS GPA calcs, so I'm not sure if they look for the credit conversion on the transcript. I'd e-mail AADSAS they are pretty good about getting back to you in a day or two. Better losing time that way instead of sending it in only to get an email back saying you need to change something.