U of T versus Western Ont??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystere-ious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondering how U of T dent is compared to in all aspects with Western Ontario? I've heard from people at U of T and Western that, "if u wanna become a better dentist go to Western" kind of things. I'd like to hear some ideas.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,
I'm a dental student at U of T and I just finished my 1st year here in Toronto. I did my undergrad at U of T too. Basically, here's the laydown....
... its pretty much the same **** as undergrad here at U of T in that people don't still care that much (its better mind you, but not alot), the faculty isn't as great either (relative to other schoools such as UWO), and frankly, there are too many KEENERS. Moreover, the majority of people commute from home and just like undergrad at U of T, this takes away from the whole school spirited experience.
THe school work is immense to put it bluntly and its highly theoretical (at least for now). Western on the other hand is very practical based as they start hands-on based stuff after a couple of weeks. Plus, Western is MUCH MORE SOCIALABLE and FUN!!!

I think if anyone has the choice b/w the 2 it shouldn't be that difficult...I wish I had chosen Western over the prestigious "name" that U of T holds.

Hi Guys,

I too am a Canadian student looking into Dent school. I currently go to U of C and I'm interested in perhaps applying to U of C or U of A. Have you guys ever considered the schools in the west? What kinds of things have you heard about these schools?

I know that U of T has a very high reputation here but unfortunately, I don't have the credentials to apply there. My GPA is around a 3.4 and my Dat scores range from 17 - 22 (for carving). :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanx guys and take care,

DeeDee

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info Cdn ToothDoc, that really helped to get an inside viewpoint.

Hey guys,

Anyone hear anything from Western yet? Anyone know how many people are usually placed on the waiting list there and how many get in? Everything is so hush-hush there, no one tells u anything...it's all "confidential".

Ciao Guys!!

I too applied to both U of T and Western among other schools (McGill, Manitoba and UBC). I got into both U of T and UBC, so far (I'm on Western's waiting list...damnit!!)
I considered my chances at all schools and ended up choosing UofT as its close to home, good rep etc etc. I did my undergrad at Waterloo and had a great time.
I've heard stories of incoming classes and the types of people in first yr dent at Toronto.....the "keeners" and what not, act the same way that *some* UofT undergrads apparently and unfortunately do.

All I can say is that I sincerely hope that due to this years incorporation of interviews into the admissions process, that the people being admitted are hard-working and diligent yes, but at the same time, very friendly, outgoing and work well alone, as well as in a team.

Theres no need for that now....the intense competition to get in should have settled everyones frayed nerves and we should realize that although were not on Easy St., we are one block closer, then where we before, that whole fangled intersection of Panic St., Anxiety Rd. and lets not forget FcukScuul Blvd (very multicultural area as you've already guessed!!)

It would really make the next 4 years (yikes!!) go by sooo smoothly with good friends to create some wonderful memories....

Anyways, ponder if you will my above ramblings and that of my good friend Oscar Wilde..."lifes to important to be taken seriously.."

Sincerely,
STRIPED
:wink: