U of TN - memphis/living there as a resident with family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueridgenc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening all. I have received a residency interview invite at U of TN - memphis. While I like the school, and I like university atmosphere, I am really concerned about living there in Memphis.

We have two kids and so I am even more concerned. If anyone doing residency there or lives in memphis can shade some light, I would appreciate it. I am sure there are good areas to live.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most folks live in the tri-state (TN, MS, AR) suburbs and commute into the city. TN- Cordova, bartlett, Germantown, collierville. MS- olive branch, southhaven. AR- west Memphis, Marion. These areas tend to be safer, cleaner, and have better public schools than the city.

I live in memphis and love it, but I dont have kids to worry about. As long as you stay as far away from Memphis City shools you will be fine. Shelby county schools are pretty good. The fiance is a teacher at Houston Middle School and she loves it. The germantown and collierville areas are nice. We live in germantown. It is about a 20 minute drive to the downtown hospitals like the VA and the med but it takes longer if you drive during rush hour. Memphis gets a bad wrap but it is acutally a pretty nice city. just dont send your kids to city schools.

I grew up in Memphis and moved away for college and med school. My parents still live there. It can be a nice place to live. If I were to move back, I might look at Tipton County, TN or DeSoto County, MS or Collierville or Germantown. The Memphis City school district has surrendered its charter, thus forcing a consolidation with the county schools. Word is that Germantown and Collierville are possibly going to set up their own district, but it is kind of in a state of flux. Like the OP, I have kids and this weighed heavily on my residency choice. Feel free to PM me if you want some more information or want me to connect you with some UT residents I know who also have kids.

I'm originally from Mississippi and have had very close friends live outside of and within the city. Be careful of some of the city schools as mentioned above. It can definitely be an excellent place to live.

I personally recommend Germantown or Olive Branch, MS - though there are other fine areas to choose from in the vicinity. Hope you like hot spices, barbecue, blues, beautiful women, and beverages with strong alcoholic content if you want to live there...