U of Wash vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hpitup

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys help me out with some pros and cons, and ultimately your preference of either school?

Members don't see this ad.

UW(udub as they call it):
Pros: Great medical school in terms of research,clinical work, and primary care/rural medicine (#1 in this field). Just broke top ten, but has been a perennial top 15 school for as long as I can remember. Curriculum is pretty tough (about 25+hrs/week) and very traditional, but students say it prepares them well. It's the only med school for a five state region, so you see lots of cases from a very diverse population pool. Great quality for the price - they even try to offer the few limited out of state acceptees enough scholarships so that their tuition lies in par with an in stater(at least that's what they told me during the interview).

Cons: Weather (very rainy/overcast throughout year), curriculum, heavy in-state preference, pretty tough interview.

UCSD:
Pros:On the rise school (just broke top 20). Also very heavy into research, and average (as far as I know) on primary care. Curriculum is changing, but known to be pretty rigourous, but nothing to take exception about. La Jolla is a really posh section of San Diego, but it's centrally located to many nice destinations. Tuition is cheap (like all UCs). Don't accept as many out of staters as UW (check MSAR, probably about 3 or 4 a year), so there's a huge Cali contingent there. Their student run clinic is a great way to begin to get hands on experience early in your studies. Weather is very nice. Interview is laid back.

Cons: (Some would say)rigor of curriculum, heavy in-state preference, bland appearance of the medical scool.

BOTTOM LINE: Both are fantastic schools that will give you an excellent education and prepare you very well for your residency for not a lot of dinero. Good luck. :)

Thanks aes. I see that you're also from cali. Which would you pick and why?

It seems everywhere I go I tend to hear some negatives about UCSD and their cut-throat reputation. I wonder where that comes from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hpit, I would choose UCSD primarily because of the location (So Cal) and proximity to family and loved ones. I'm actually on their alternate list so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

In terms of their "rigorous" reputation, one my chaperones on the interview told us that the stereotype originated a few years back when some gunners were taking it upon themselves to show off their "dedicated study habits" to others, including pulling all nighters camping out outside of the anatomy lab. This coupled with (back then) a longer and denser pre-clinical curriculum probably gave rise to the myth. Keep in mind everywhere you go you will see gunners and people stressed out, it's just that some people are more modest about it than others. Of course, the H/P/F grading system at UCSD doesn't help out in this situation, but this is the typical grading system found in most schools anyway.

If you hold residency in either state...you really should go to that state's school. The difference between the two is trivial in terms of academics.