U. of Washington and BU update....

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by waiting, Aug 30, 2001.

1. waiting

waiting Senior Member

For those interested and any potential future huskies, I just called U. of Washington today and was told that their first batch of secondaries will go out today.....If an applicant is not selected to get a secondary they'll just receive a postcard from them saying the application is complete.

As for BU, they said they won't start trying to touch base w/applicants for interviews until the third week of November....

still waiting as always.... :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MsPurtell

MsPurtell Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks for the info regarding BU. I would have gotten concerned if I waited so long to hear from them! As for U of Washington - I haven't applied there, but do many schools follow such a procedure? I have received notices from several schools about the status of my file (before they even got my letter of rec or my DAT score). Could it possibly be that they aren't intending to send me a secondary unless the class isn't full until the first round of interviews? I hope not because my scores and recs really add to my app!

Thanks, Margaret

4. waiting

waiting Senior Member

oops....i just noticed my typo in the info I provided on BU.....I meant to say third week of SEPT., not Nov......sorry!

5. waiting

waiting Senior Member

Margaret,

Here's my understanding based on contacts w/the 15 schools I'm applying to!:

There are about 3 types of secondaries:

a) Some schools (eg, UNC, UCLA) have secondaries which they send to many, if not all of their applicants. These secondaries need to be completed and submitted before the committee decides to start selecting for interviews.

b) Other schools (eg, UCSF) first screen applicants based on a DAT/GPA formula before deciding to send them secondaries...again, this secondary needs to be complted and submitted before the committee decides to grant you an interview

c) Finally, some schools (eg, Harvard, Missouri, Maryland) only send you a secondary to complete and submit AFTER you've been selected for an interview. This information needs to be in their hands before your interview. In the case of Harvard, the secondary actually asks substantial, short-essay type questions, while in the case of Maryland, it's just a demographic form you complete.

Ok, hope this helps!
    :)