U of Wisconsin - Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ralphy

Ralphy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who attending med school at U of Wisconsin - Madison, or has had an interview there?
Just wanted to know what you thought of the school, campus, professors, class ect.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Any comments? Pretty please:)

well they're the only school to reject me so far...

...does this help? ;)

in all seriousness though, I was accepted there twice for undergrad (one transfer app too) and the place is amazingly beautiful (best in the big 10 hands down) and madison is an amazing town. The only thing stopping me from going there for undergrad was the insane cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
well they're the only school to reject me so far...

...does this help? ;)

in all seriousness though, I was accepted there twice for undergrad (one transfer app too) and the place is amazingly beautiful (best in the big 10 hands down) and madison is an amazing town. The only thing stopping me from going there for undergrad was the insane cost.

Thank you Maestro for the feedback

I'm interviewing there on friday...but madison is a good place...and wisconsin rocks :) i'll know more next week :)

also, they've just opened a global health center there..

the hospital was very confusing :confused: and I'm not a big fan of the city of Madison, but the school was nice. I just opted not to go there.

Is there anyone here who attending med school at U of Wisconsin - Madison, or has had an interview there?
Just wanted to know what you thought of the school, campus, professors, class ect.

thank you

Madison is an AMAZING city with great college life, college sports, LOTS of things going on (concerts, plays), lots of outdoor activities.
I was set on going there for a while last year and miss the city alot!! The med school is a couple years old and GORGEOUS. Great school.... :)

I interviewed there...the school was seriously awesome...the building, I mean. The hospital is confusing as all getout like Prowler said. I really liked it when I interviewed as well, and I can tell it's probably a pretty good school. I also chose MCW over Madison however, cause I didn't like the college town feel.

It's very true what the previous posts echo again and again.

I'm currently an undergrad there, but the hospital is more or less on campus.

It's an amazing place to be, but you have to be aware that this IS a college town. Life revolves around the Badgers in Madison, and if you don't come in realizing and accepting this (and the alcohol culture of the state of Wisconsin..1 bar for every 10 people or something), you're not going to have a good experience. Best of luck in making your decision.

Remember Madison has the "statewide campus", where you're shipped all over the state your last two years. I love everything else about Madison, but I wasn't sure that part was for me at this point in my life.

the hospital was very confusing :confused:

Heh, yeah, I STILL get myself lost when I'm there! But other than that, I think it's a great place. It'll probably be one of my top choices when I'm ready to apply, main reason being that this is home for me.

Remember Madison has the "statewide campus", where you're shipped all over the state your last two years. I love everything else about Madison, but I wasn't sure that part was for me at this point in my life.
Oh, yeah, that was a big turn-off for me. You have to do 16 weeks of away rotations that can sometimes be kinda far away.

My father went there for med school, and I visited the campus last year when I was in Wisconsin visiting my mom. It's a pretty campus, I didn't really do a thorough tour because it didn't occur to me about going there for medical school. My father has high praise for the med school, and the head of the biology department at my campus makes sure to mention how great the school is whenever he gets the chance. He replaced an entire's day lecture once just to show pictures and talk about the school.

i forget...do they still have to go elsewhere for anatomy lab, or is it in the new building finally?

I'm a current M1 at UW and I really like it here. Before coming here I also had concerns about the "college town" atmosphere. In reality, I think that having the undergrad campus is a major plus. As med students we get to take advantage of all the resources that the campus has to offer (ie free access to the multiple gyms on campus). This is important when all you do is sit on your butt all day. Also, the med school is a little furhter away from the main portion of the undergrad campus. The professors that I have encountered so far are outstanding teachers!! Let me know if you have any other questions.

i forget...do they still have to go elsewhere for anatomy lab, or is it in the new building finally?
anybody applying now should get the new building by fall of 2007, but I think they're still in the old one now. They hadn't even broken ground last September.

FYI, like pike1 said, the med school is actually a fair ways from the undergrad campus, and it's right by the pharmacy school and hospital, so it's kind of a medical campus now.

I am pretty excited just got an invite to interview at U Wisconsin-Madison!

I am pretty excited just got an invite to interview at U Wisconsin-Madison!

Best wishes! The moment I walked way back when, sticking out like a sore thumb, a few students hanging around were nice enough to point to where I needed to go without even asking why I was there.