*U Penn Notification*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So.

Apparently UPenn's going to let us know on March 20th. It's a Sunday, I know, but that's what one of my good, trustworthy friends said - she's ALWAYS accurate and is definitely in the know. ;)

I guess it wouldn't be that unusual, considering that Penn's been meeting on the weekends to make admission decisions...

Members don't see this ad.

ajt2003 said:
Hey all,

So.

Apparently UPenn's going to let us know on March 20th.

:eek: So much for an anxiety-free spring break....and my "March 11th"/Friday guess :p

Thanks for the info though, ajt!!!! :)

by e-mail? website check? phone call? telegram? ??????

Members don't see this ad :)
Mateodaspy said:
by e-mail? website check? phone call? telegram? ??????

Website check. There is a banner that says congratulations. It is all celebratory with colors and all.

what da hell is it taking them that long?!? :)

Cryptonacious said:
what da hell is it taking them that long?!? :)

No kidding, I'm dying here. I really loved Penn. :scared:

Scholarship offers go out along with acceptance offers at Penn, correct?

Mateodaspy said:
Scholarship offers go out along with acceptance offers at Penn, correct?

Wow, Matt. Aren't we being a tad bit ahead of ourselves?

And yes, I believe that's what my rather unreliable informant at Penn tells me.

Yeah I definitely think that I'm not going to hope too hard for Penn after my recent Duke debacle (not that its confirmed yet because apparently the waitlists/rejects aren't sent out the same time as the admits or something)...Despite loving Penn, I doubt I convinced them to return the love.

ajt2003 said:
Hey all,

So.

Apparently UPenn's going to let us know on March 20th. It's a Sunday, I know, but that's what one of my good, trustworthy friends said - she's ALWAYS accurate and is definitely in the know. ;)

I guess it wouldn't be that unusual, considering that Penn's been meeting on the weekends to make admission decisions...

Dood. How the heck do you get all the inside info on the AdComs? Were/Are you in the CIA? :cool:

palminator2003 said:
Dood. How the heck do you get all the inside info on the AdComs? Were/Are you in the CIA? :cool:

Let's just say I'm well connected and leave it at that. ;) It's surprising how much can be revealed during this process when you have friends at nearly every medical school on the East Coast!

Seriously though, I like to do what I can. If I have any inside info, it's best to pass it along to my fellow SDNers! Because, honestly, it's no fun obsessing alone. That's just sad.

ajt2003 said:
Let's just say I'm well connected and leave it at that. ;) It's surprising how much can be revealed during this process when you have friends at nearly every medical school on the East Coast!

Seriously though, I like to do what I can. If I have any inside info, it's best to pass it along to my fellow SDNers! Because, honestly, it's no fun obsessing alone. That's just sad.

ajt, thanks for the info (although i wish the notification date was sooner...)! i'm jealous of all your insider info. I don't really have any good friends in medical school since i wasn't premed in college and didn't do a formal post-bacc program. i mean i know people in various east coast schools but not really well. keep us posted if you hear anything else (i know you will!)

the1111gal said:
Yeah I definitely think that I'm not going to hope too hard for Penn after my recent Duke debacle (not that its confirmed yet because apparently the waitlists/rejects aren't sent out the same time as the admits or something)...

It's been said before--don't use the outcome at one school to set the bar for what will happen at other ones! :)

-fellow 12/10-er :p

Members don't see this ad :)
the1111gal said:
haha, wouldn't you be tempted to use news from other schools if the news was fresh and the sore was still open? :-D

This post in isolation makes no sense. This post in context makes no sense.

the1111gal said:

I keed, I keed. It's just that I couldn't quite make out what you meant. We're all waiting on UPenn, and there really is no reason for my bad behavior. Olive branch?

Just bumping for those who might not have been surfing SDN late last night...aw, come on...there are at least, like, 3 of you.

Ug. I have been telling everyone including my boss that the date will be March 11th. Didn't people last year find out on March 11th? Why would they change the date? Should I ask my interviewer?

cottagepepper said:
Ug. I have been telling everyone including my boss that the date will be March 11th. Didn't people last year find out on March 11th? Why would they change the date? Should I ask my interviewer?

March 11th was just assumed (I think), because that was the date (or near it) when everyone found out last year. If your interviewer will give you the inside scoop, then please ask him/her! Sooner would DEFINITELY be better.

I found this info out from a friend who's definitely reliable, and who got her information secondhand through someone connected to Penn admissions.

I just had to laugh at all of us!

I can't believe I'm freaking out over the fact that we may find out on March 11th or 20th...after I have been waiting since my int in Oct, what is a few more days?

Although if I don't find out by 3-11, it'd be a pain to deal with everyone else who will be asking that dreaded question....

If I don't get in this year, I will try again next year. Heck, I'm only 23.

lol i dont know if i got in...obviously ;)
ask them when we find out!

Has anyone tried logging into the status page? It looks to me like the page has changed, and I can't log in anymore because I don't have a "PenKey" or password. The link I'm using is:

http://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/admissions

Is anyone else having the same problem? Has Penn sent out any e-mails about a new site or new log-in/password?

ARGH! Stess! Help!

alec689 said:
Has anyone tried logging into the status page? It looks to me like the page has changed, and I can't log in anymore because I don't have a "PenKey" or password. The link I'm using is:

Is anyone else having the same problem? Has Penn sent out any e-mails about a new site or new log-in/password?

ARGH! Stess! Help!

Whoa! interesting, i'm having that problem too. This may mean they are updating the pages or something!!! I tired logging in yesterday and didn't have any problems.

alec689 said:

ARGH! Stess! Help!

I only started having the problem after using the link in your post. I logged in when I read your post and it said "interview complete," and then I tried to logout and then there was a "penkey" request. I was like what!

So, maybe the pages are changing. Anyone else to confirm?

A penkey is required by administrative staff and students. I think this means someone is changing something on the page? Please SDN-ers help fuel the stress-out! Post, people, post!

GuyLaroche said:
A penkey is required by administrative staff and students. I think this means someone is changing something on the page? Please SDN-ers help fuel the stress-out! Post, people, post!

Perhaps something is changing!?!?! (Cue dramatic music in background). I thought I might have been using the wrong link or something, but I'm glad you're having the same issue.

And yes, other people should help fuel the stressout. I'm all for mass-mental instability... :p

GuyLaroche said:
I only started having the problem after using the link in your post. I logged in when I read your post and it said "interview complete," and then I tried to logout and then there was a "penkey" request. I was like what!

So, maybe the pages are changing. Anyone else to confirm?

This is exactly what happened for me :eek:

Treg

To be clear lol...this only came up when I logged out...I logged in as normal and it said that my interview was complete blah blah blah...Also, in case you guys didn't notice:you can download the 2005-2006 financial aid form from their site now...I'm not sure when that changed but it used to be the old form (for a while, as I checked way more than I should have!)...Anyway here is whta I see when I hit log out...

The URL you requested,

'http://www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/index.php',
requires PennKey Authentication before access is granted. If you have already authenticated yourself, then your session may have timed out. Each authenticated session is valid for 30 minutes.
For your convenience, make sure that your browser accepts cookies originating from the same server as the page being viewed. If you do not have cookies enabled on your browser, you will need to re-authenticate yourself everytime you request a PennKey protected page on that server.

Please enter your PennKey and password in the appropriate boxes
Click on the "Submit" button

PennKey:
Password:

NOTE: You MUST exit from your browser when you are done, or others may obtain access to your session

*commence fueling mass stress-out*

Same thing happening over here....if it stops in the next 30 minutes, we'll have evidence that the admissions office reads SDN :D

Another interesting thing to note--Like Guy and Sasha, I was using a different URL than the one alec posted....the normal login page came up and I was able to log in. I logged out, got the new "penn key" page....and then when I clicked on my bookmark to the Penn login page**, it completely bypassed login and took me back to my "interview completed" page, even though I had just logged out--and thus it shouldn't have allowed me to skip login. So something definitely is up....

**yeah, I have it bookmarked, laugh if you want but I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one! ;)

yeah i obviously have it bookmarked too haha...who wants to spend MORE time typing it in each time they go if they go 5-6 times per hour? jk im not that bad lol!

boo....now it's just back to being normal. oh well...I'm sure we'll be back here in about 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

actually, maybe I'm just crazy but it looks to me as if the light blue box at the top where it says interview completed is smaller than before...like, lengthwise...am i nuts?

I warned you guys in the other thread: they always miss the admissions deadline. I would say "late March" is a good estimate for when they will let you know, unless you're MD/PhD, in which case you might know later if you aren't in the first batch of acceptances.

This year I don't even think they set a deadline other than "Mid march", so I think March 11th like last year is optimistic (I thought they said March 7th last year, so I was surprised they only missed by 4 days). I think they're getting tired of the frantic calls when they miss the date they say, so they're not saying anymore. Some people were told different dates by random people (like the MD/PhD director told some people March 15th), but you just have to relax and take it when it comes...

any idea if they'll tell us before they post it or if it will just be up there randomly one time we check?

the1111gal said:
any idea if they'll tell us before they post it or if it will just be up there randomly one time we check?

i think they'll send us an email telling us that the status page has been updated- at least according to the person who picked up when i called the admissions office