U Penn Special Science Post Bac Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adi Prasad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone did the U Penn special science program? What are your thought? Did they have an HPAC committee? Did you get into med school? Do they feed only into particular med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had some additional info. or insight on this program.

I have heard secondhand that the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine has zero interest in the graduates of their PostBac program. A friend of mine in it says her courses are easier than anything she ever took in undergrad (Bryn Mawr), and it's possible she might get her first 4.0 ever.

Not promising....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi:

Although not in the program, I do have quite a bit of insight about UPenn.

There are two tracks:

Pre-Health Post Bac Program

and

Special Science Program

Pre-Health Post Bac Program --->
are for people who hold non science degrees. If I were someone who held a non science degree, I would not go to UPenn's post bac program but rather Tufts Program or Columbia, which seek people with such backgrounds. Why? Because, after completing their program and maintaining a certain GPA as well as obtaining a 28 MCAT score (don't remember exact score, check website), I am guranteed admittance into a medical school via the linkage program.

Special Science Program:
The program is for students who would like to improve their GPA. The only perk in this program is that if you maintain a high level of excellence in their program, bam..you get automatic acceptance into robert wood johnson med skewl. However, be forwared that this program is highly cut throat competitive and the cost is crazy.

Other post bac programs that I would recommend is Uconn or creighton. Creighton's Program PAYS you to attend their program and also pays you through medical school. But creighton's program is only for URM.

Bump. Anyone else have further insight?

. Why? Because, after completing their program and maintaining a certain GPA as well as obtaining a 28 MCAT score (don't remember exact score, check website), I am guranteed admittance into a medical school via the linkage program.

Don't know about Tufts, but I PROMISE that you are NOT guaranteed any medical school admittance through the Columbia post-bacc program. Linkage is a way to skip the lag year, kind of like early decision, but you still have to apply to the program you are interested in.

If I were you, I would go visit the Penn program (and any other programs you are interested in) and talk to the students participating in them. There are many threads on this topic here. Search, search, search! And good luck.

Originally posted by Wednesday
Don't know about Tufts, but I PROMISE that you are NOT guaranteed any medical school admittance through the Columbia post-bacc program. Linkage is a way to skip the lag year, kind of like early decision, but you still have to apply to the program you are interested in.

If I were you, I would go visit the Penn program (and any other programs you are interested in) and talk to the students participating in them. There are many threads on this topic here. Search, search, search! And good luck.

Thanks for the correction Wed.

Just to make another correction pre-health at UPenn has the linkage program with robert woood not the special science one (thanks birdie).

Here's a link to some other post bac programs available:

http://www.upenn.edu/careerservices/gradprof/healthprof/postbac.html

Good Luck y'all