1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

U.Pitt Secondary... IDEAS??!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ABSOLUTsher07, Jul 17, 2006.

1. ABSOLUTsher07

ABSOLUTsher07 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,
    I finished the first essay for the secondary Pitt application, but I have no idea what to write for the second one (what can you contribute to our diverse student body ****). I'm thinking about writing my essay on how I've lived in 5 different states from when I was 3 to 13, but I have no idea how to integrate the idea of diversity into it. Help! Any ideas???

In secondary limbo mode

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spygal

spygal Member
    2+ Year Member

Try to find one aspect of your life that would make you somewhat unique and discuss what you've learned from that experience that you can apply to/would help you with med school. Example: did you play sports in college, and what postive values/traits did you develop from this experience and how can you apply those to med school.

I've gotta say...this essay and the essays from UChicago are my least favorite so far.

4. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the prompt is asking you to describe what it is that makes you unique and not necessarily how you've been exposed to diversity per se.

As a generalization, though you may have lived in East Jebus, USA your whole life, you display some very unique talents that would make you a novel member of the student body.

So ask yourself, "What is it that makes me so special?"

5. Astrithir

Astrithir Member
    2+ Year Member

I hate this question as well. The travelling idea could work well, especially if you've gotten a different perception of life as a result of moving. Just remember that there will be other people who have moved around their entire lives, so moving in itself is not unique.

A couple of ideas:
    - Have you learned anything from living in 5 states that would help you adjust to Pitt as a medical student?
    - How has moving around impacted your goals/desires?
    - Who have you seen? Will you see those types of people again at Pitt?
    - Did you live in cities? rural areas? Maybe you could bring a different perspective on the practice of medicine in those areas

Good luck. :luck: