Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

u Pitt

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by exigente chica, Nov 10, 2002.

1. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Anyone know anything about this school's MSTP program. Their website is interesting and they have some great Ph.D programs.

More info would be appreciated!:clap:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Some things I like about the program include how well-integrated the two degrees are, and the community of support built for MSTP students. Like most MSTPs, you meet with the other MD/PhD students frequently during the med years for research presentations and such. Then, before going into the grad program full time, you do at least one clinical rotation. This opens up the opportunity to take part in the Longitudial Clinical Clerkship while you're doing your grad work. This involves spending a half-day a week in the clinic with a doc - just you and him/her, so you can learn more than in a regular clinical rotation. What's great is that you actually get credit for this clerkship - every 20 weeks you are given credit for 2 weeks of clinical rotations that you don't have to do after your thesis. Also, when you do return to the wards full-time, you haven't lost your clinical skills.

Also, Clayton the director and the administration seem very supportive and influencial in making sure students finish their projects in a timely manner. If your PI is keeping you too long, you aren't on your own - the program will attempt to help move things along for you.

Doing a research rotation before first year med is optional - most students don't do it. The average time to graduation is 7.5 years, and has supposedly been growing shorter (according to Clayton).

Anyway, it seems like a great program and a cool place!

4. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Thanks Canem for the info..I appreciate it..

ne one else?

5. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed there the same day as CaNEM and I totally agree with what he said about the program. If you want some more details, feel free to PM me and I will fill you in.

6. mjs

mjs Millionaire, Superhero
    7+ Year Member

To be honest, I wasn't blown away by the administration or the caliber of research I saw there. Then again, that maybe just an accident of what I saw during my visit. They did the best job of selling their MD program that I have seen so far.

7. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What grad program were you looking at?