U. Rochester vs. AECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sesquipedalian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, what's up guys. This is my very first post and I wanted to say that this forum is the best thing...ever. It's given me warmth on many a cold, dark premed night. :D

Anyways, I've been on several waitlists for a while and after recently being accepted into a couple of schools, I've narrowed down my top choice between Rochester and Albert Einstein. Rochester has an incredible preclinical curriculum with a wonderful humanistic, biopsychosocial approach to patient care; it also has small class sizes and a great deal of flexibility during the clinical years, attributed to the late date of clerkship selection. Albert Einstein is really close to New York City, somewhere I've always wanted to live, and has a minimal amount of lecture hours (one of the lowest around) and studying (read: plenty of free time). Also, Albert Einstein has amazing research opportunities. In short, I think Rochester will provide a much better education, but my time at Albert Einstein will be significantly more enjoyable and have better quality research opportunities. Are any of my facts/views wrong or misguided? Do you know any additional information about these schools? Which one do you think I should choose? Decisions, decisions. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey buddy -

I actually had the exact same choice this past week - I got in both Rochester and AECOM off the waitlist, and had to make a relatively quick decision. I agree with what you said - Rochester has more robust academic programs, while AECOM is in New York City.

I went with Rochester. The selling point for me was the diversity of program offerings there. Rochester has a lot of amazing medical humanities classes, and as an English major I found that incredibly attractive. They also have a formal program in Clinical Ethics and Medical Humanities, which was something I was really, really excited about when I interviewed there (I arranged to meet with the people in charge of the program). Also, I'm really interested in international electives, and Rochester has a well-supported program (over 40% of the class does international electives). Also, Rochester originated the biopsychosocial approach to medicine, and I find that holistic paradigm more in line with my own philosophy.

On the other hand, there's something special about New York City, which is something that AECOM has over Rochester. I was really tempted to go and live in the city, but in the end I felt that the resources at Rochester were more important for me. Also, you mentioned research - Rochester's actually really strong there as well (even though I'm not interested in it myself) - to the extent of having a 5-year program where you can spend a year earning an M.S. in research. Anyways...they're both good schools, it's up to you. (Go to Rochester! =P)

I interviewed at Rochester. The school rocked; the city sucked.
I didn't interview at AECOM, but I did at a couple other NYC schools. NYC rocked.

That's all I have to offer. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
id choose aecom because of the city..i think the 2 schools are pretty much the same, maybe slight edge to rochester's facilities and that humanistic psychosocial mumbojumbo.

Nowadays, nearly every school has the clinical 'preceptorships' during the first two years. It's basically taking histories, tapping knees, listening to lung sounds, and BP. I'd go with Einstein. Then again, i'm a bit biased here. I'm on UR's waitlist ;)

Go with Einstein: location (city), better clinical opportunities (city), more fun things to do (city). I interviewed at both and definitely liked Einstein better. Then again, I'm very into public health and global health and Einstein has tons of money to fund such programs.

kilmier said:
Go with Einstein: location (city), better clinical opportunities (city), more fun things to do (city). I interviewed at both and definitely liked Einstein better. Then again, I'm very into public health and global health and Einstein has tons of money to fund such programs.

I say Rochester. It's my undergrad Alma Mater and the hospital is wonderful. I did a semester of independent study in Pathology there and (almost) everyone I met was very nice and laid back, easy to talk to and eager to teach. The med students I hung out with were real cool people too. A number of my friends go there and none have complaints.

As for the city, you get used to it. I actually miss it at times (and I'm in Boston now). Ah.. the garbage plates, sledding on trays behind the Sue B. dorm, the shady nature of On The Rocks (a bar close by to Strong Memorial), and studying at Miner library at strong.

Good times.

From what i've heard, AECOM is pretty damn good as well, but the student body is big no? Also it's quite a train ride from the good fun stuff in Manhattan. Gonna be hard after a night of partying :laugh:

Chinorlz said:
I say Rochester. It's my undergrad Alma Mater and the hospital is wonderful. I did a semester of independent study in Pathology there and (almost) everyone I met was very nice and laid back, easy to talk to and eager to teach. The med students I hung out with were real cool people too. A number of my friends go there and none have complaints.

As for the city, you get used to it. I actually miss it at times (and I'm in Boston now). Ah.. the garbage plates, sledding on trays behind the Sue B. dorm, the shady nature of On The Rocks (a bar close by to Strong Memorial), and studying at Miner library at strong.

Good times.

From what i've heard, AECOM is pretty damn good as well, but the student body is big no? Also it's quite a train ride from the good fun stuff in Manhattan. Gonna be hard after a night of partying :laugh:

AECOM

I had a similar decision to make a couple of years ago. I also had the added mix of an academic scholarship from AECOM, but I ultimately decided on Rochester. I had a much better feel from the student body there. Also, I thought the quality of the education and clinical exposure at Rochester was far superior. Additionally, I didn't like the housing situation at AECOM.

I ended up getting into Hopkins off of the waitlist, so I don't have much more information to offer about Rochester. You can't really go wrong either way, but if I was choosing between those two again, I would go with Rochester.