U.S. & Canadian schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear all these canadian students on this forum talk about going to American dental schools. I am a little confused and had sort of a curiosity question. If a canadian student goes to D-School in the U.S. will they be able to practice in canada or do these students just plan on moving to the United States? Could a U.S. student go to a canadian school and then practice in the U.S.?

This question doesn't really pertain to me, but I am still interested to know how this all works. It may also clear up questions for others on the forum.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you write both sets of Board Exams, even if you study in one country you can practice in the other country. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but going either way isn't very difficult.

the canadian and american dental associations have a contract agreement with eachother. Going to either country with residence in either country allows you to practice in the other country as well. the board exams are the only difference. the education is considered completely the same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
the biggest difference is that Canadians who want to practice in the US cant own their own practice and must work with somene else who sponsors them. It sucks, cause it limits their opportunity for growth.

Dr.BadVibes said:
the biggest difference is that Canadians who want to practice in the US cant own their own practice and must work with somene else who sponsors them. It sucks, cause it limits their opportunity for growth.

What if you become an American citizan?

KHANSAHAAB said:
What if you become an American citizan?

thats kind of a stupid question....if you become an american citizen, you obviously would have the same rights as any other american independent of where you were born or held previous citizenship.