U.S Citizen attending Dental School in another country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ias2512

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone could give me some advice, I am currently a freshman at the University of Texas. I am thinking about going to India for dental school because over there, schooling is only 4-5 years (strait out of hight school, no bachelors degree) and it will save me ALOT of money. But im not sure about negative aspects such as: Will my degree be reqognized when i return here? Will I be able to get admission into there schools? What type of degree will I get? If anyone could give me there opinion on this, It'll help alot. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you come back here you'll have to do an extra 2 years of schooling as an international student. Most countries are like India in that you go straight into dental school with no undergrad and come out in 4-5 years. In England you get a BDS (bachelors of dental science) and I believe it is the same in India.

Clearly you don't need a bachelors degree to be a good dentist, but I think it had to do more with money. Here there is so much money in dentistry and so they don't want there to be an overflow of dentists so having it as a graduate degree is a good idea.

Anyway it just depends where you want to practice. I have thought about going back to the UK when I'm older but I might as well do my degree here becuase when I graduate I can sit the board exams here and there.

In summary, if you go to school here you can practice almost anywhere in the world if you pass their boads. But if you study somewhere else you have to add on 2 years of school before you practice here.

Haan, jo Rajmahal Keh rahaa/rahee hai sach hai. I know BDS ppl from India who have to do THREE out of their 4 years of dental school once they move to the US. Although it may be conceived as unfair, the technology in the field of dentistry currently put to use in the US is, I hate to say it, far superior to that in India, and in many cases even UK. So the schools feel the need to teach international students current procedures using cutting edge technology (ex. DentSim labs). Hope this answers your question. Mera Bharat Mahaan! :love:

ias2512 said:
If anyone could give me some advice, I am currently a freshman at the University of Texas. I am thinking about going to India for dental school because over there, schooling is only 4-5 years (strait out of hight school, no bachelors degree) and it will save me ALOT of money. But im not sure about negative aspects such as: Will my degree be reqognized when i return here? Will I be able to get admission into there schools? What type of degree will I get? If anyone could give me there opinion on this, It'll help alot. Thanks

i'm an indian trained dentist currently residing in the US....
Its only a 4 yr course + 1 yr internship in India. our BDS (bachelors of dental surgery) is not recognised here in the US....we have to give our part 1 exam in order to join the advance standing program. VERY VERY few colleges have this program and they have VERY LESS seats ...and the competition is so high that few schools ask for part 2 also....our basic requirements is a great part 1 score 90+..and still we are not sure of getting into any school.....some schools take us in 2nd yr ..some into 3rd yr...u can read the forums in international trained dentists....
it is cheaper in india...but when u come back here and study for aother 2-3 yrs...i guess u wud be spending the same...imagine how much time u wud be wasting studying the same stuff all over again....
its my opinion....