U.S. Medical Schools that accept international medical students as transfers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueflamer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am an international medical student. I was wondering if anyone knew for certain all the medical schools in the U.S.A. that accept international medical students as transfer applicants. Is there a website with all this information? Please advise. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by blueflamer
Is there a website with all this information?

You know what there IS, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was or how I found it :confused: . All I know is that I was attempting the very same thing last summer after having received my Step 1 score, and EUREKA I came upon this site entitled... "Unites States medical schools that accept IMSs with advanced standing" or something like that. I wrote one generic e-mail explaining my situation and my desire to transfer, and I forwarded it to each one of those schools. I got about 5-6 very positive responses, but since I'd unfortunately missed the deadlines for that academic year, I decided that I'd just transfer to the Caribbean instead (rather than lose another year).

So, my advice to you is to be persistent... use the search engines, use google, whatever... even if you don't find that particular site, you can still send an e-mail to the office of admissions of every U.S. med school. What do you have to lose right? Good luck!

Oh yeah, I remember Southern Illlinois Univ being one of the ones that does this.

Originally posted by blueflamer
Hello. I am an international medical student. I was wondering if anyone knew for certain all the medical schools in the U.S.A. that accept international medical students as transfer applicants. Is there a website with all this information? Please advise. Thanks.

Blueflamer:

It is my understanding (e., I'm not positive, so take it with a grain of salt) that most LCME schools are severely cutting back if not eliminating entirely advance-standing transfers from non-LCME schools. HOWEVER, having said that, I am aware of students that have successfully transferred from Ross to Tulane, Medical College of Georgia, Indiana University, and a few others in the past few years. It is usually very hush-hush, and often the students have received exceptional grades and board scores and/or have been heavily "connected" at the school they transferred into.

Another option is to do forth year elective clerkships as a visiting student in U.S. medical school programs. From what I understand, you are only limited by the amount of time the school lets you stay. It is a good way to build connections for the NRMP as well.

Try this link for more info: http://services.aamc.org/eec/student.cfm

Good luck and please let us know anything else you might find out. Many of us are in the same boat as you.

-Skip Intro