U.S. Military P.T. - Army, Navy, Air Force- can you share your experience?

May 26, 2012
New York
Status
DPT / OTD
Hi guys,
I am thinking about joining one of the U.S. Military branches as a P.T. because the civilian job I have right now is not very fulfilling. Every day I am getting more frustrated because of the restrictions that health insurances place on us, and limit the care we can deliver.
The other reason for joining is that I heard that military service offers student loan assistance, of which I have 100 k+.
So,
If anybody of you went that route, can you share your experience? Specifically: 1- What was the ratio of: (PT/other military responsibilities)? 2- As an officer, what additional duties did you have to perform? 3- How often did you relocate? 4- Did you have any say in where you would've liked to be stationed? 5- Did you take advantage of Health Professions Loan Repayment Program? Is it realistic to get accepted into it? 6- Was you salary competitive to civilian average or was it based on military promotion scale?

I like to plan ahead, so I would really appreciate your honest feedback!

Thank you!

Oct 30, 2013
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Radean1,

While I can't answer every one of your questions because I didn't serve in the medical field, I think I can help you out with some general perspectives. 1) I'm not sure if being in the military will all of a sudden make your job more enjoyable. In the grand scheme of things It's the military and you will be utilized wherever and whenever the military needs you whether it's in Afghanistan, Japan, or a Naval aircraft carrier. Just know that first and foremost. 2) I'm not sure of any additional duties you will have because of the skill set you possess. You will be a direct commission officer meaning you won't go to officer boot camp so you won't be combat trained. Now I will tell you if you are in the Navy and on a ship then I wouldn't be surprised if you were made to perform various duties completely unrelated to PT. 3) You may have a few choices where you are
stationed but just be prepared to go anywhere. 4) You will be paid as an officer. Simply search for military pay charts and you will see what everyone makes. Your pay as an o-1, o-2, and o-3 will be lower than civilian pay, but you will pay nothing for living expenses and you'll have really good insurance. Plus if you get deployed to a combat area you'll make extra pay along with paying no taxes. You will also make extra money if you choose to live off base.
If you want to work in an environment where there seems to be less restrictions maybe try the Veterans Affairs working with injured veterans. I don't have any experience but that's where I would try. Hope this helped.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you need any clarification or have any other questions.

Reactions: Lolawashere