U.S. Sen. Kay Hutchison: On Military Healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

island doc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) comments concerning U.S. Military Healthcare:

"My constituents in uniform keep me up to date on what is working for them, and what isn't. Right now, one of the things that isn't working very well is our military health care system. There is a growing feeling among our military personnel, their families and military retirees that their health care benefits are no longer very beneficial.

In the past 10 years the United States has downsized its armed forces by more than a third, and our military health care system has been downsized accordingly, but the number of those eligible to receive health care in the military has remained constant.

While many military hospitals have been closed, downsized, or redesignated as ambulatory care centers the number of personnel relying on the military to provide health care has not changed."

This goes to the root of the problem: An overworked, understaffed, underfunded, ill-equipped, and inadequately prepared system of health care delivery.

To SDN Readers: For those of you who will not believe what some of us in this forum have been saying, here you have it from a United States Senator posted on the Internet Website "Hutchison Capitol Comment-Military Health Care Priorities".

It's worth restating: "One of the things that isn't working very well is our military health care system."

What more can be said? That pretty much sums it all up right there, and lays all arguments to rest.

Members don't see this ad.

island doc said:
U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) comments concerning U.S. Military Healthcare:

"My constituents in uniform keep me up to date on what is working for them, and what isn't. Right now, one of the things that isn't working very well is our military health care system. There is a growing feeling among our military personnel, their families and military retirees that their health care benefits are no longer very beneficial.

In the past 10 years the United States has downsized its armed forces by more than a third, and our military health care system has been downsized accordingly, but the number of those eligible to receive health care in the military has remained constant.

While many military hospitals have been closed, downsized, or redesignated as ambulatory care centers the number of personnel relying on the military to provide health care has not changed."

This goes to the root of the problem: An overworked, understaffed, underfunded, ill-equipped, and inadequately prepared system of health care delivery.

To SDN Readers: For those of you who will not believe what some of us in this forum have been saying, here you have it from a United States Senator posted on the Internet Website "Hutchison Capitol Comment-Military Health Care Priorities".

It's worth restating: "One of the things that isn't working very well is our military health care system."

What more can be said? That pretty much sums it all up right there, and lays all arguments to rest.

Wow...and she said this back in 1999!

coolslugs said:
Wow...and she said this back in 1999!

How have things changed since then? If this is no longer applicable, why? According to the information we are being given by those who have just recently seperated (i.e. USAFDoc, etc.), nothing much has changed.