U.S. Student Doing A 4th Year Rotation In Belfast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteodog

DO, DPM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 3rd year D.O. student (just started) in the States and was wondering what it might be like to do a 4th year rotation in Belfast. My brother has been living there for over 20 years and I've yet to visit him (I know I'm terrible). Are D.O. students/physicians recognized on equal terms as M.D. students/physicians in Ireland? How might my experience be different?

Much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Belfast is in Northern Ireland which in turn is part of the U.K. Unless things have changed recently the U.K. licensing authority, the GMC, does not recognize DO physicians. Whether that would prevent you from doing a rotation there, I'm not sure. Belfast has excellent hospitals and medical school. It would be a good place to go for clinical experience. I suggest you get your school to approach them.

It seems things have changed recently! From September 2005 DO's are street legal in the U.K. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
sirus said:
It seems things have changed recently! From September 2005 DO's are street legal in the U.K. :)
I like that...."street legal"....

Quick! Get the boys! We're going to drag race our osteopaths!