U.S. trained DOs recognized as equal to MDs in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sense

Sensible User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DOs now can have full practice rights in Ontario and other parts of Canada according to the article. I would say that's a major step in globalizing osteopathic medicine.

http://do-online.osteotech.org/index.cfm?PageID=lcl_intlnewscanada

International News

U.S. Trained D.O.s Recognized Equal to M.D.s in Canada

For several years the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and Canadian Osteopathic Association (COA) have been working to expand US-trained osteopathic physician rights in all of the Canadian provinces, especially in Ontario, Canada?s largest province.

In September 2003 the AOA and Canadian Osteopathic Association (COA) met with delegates of The College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) and the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) about extending US-trained D.O.s practice rights throughout Canada. Since that meeting the CPSO has adopted a policy stating that US-trained D.O.s with AOA-accredited education are recognized equivalently to M.D.s in Canada. This policy allows US-trained D.O.s to go to Ontario and sit for the licensing examination and to gain practice rights there.

To learn more please visit the CPSO?s Web site.

The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) has also made strides towards acceptance of US-trained D.O.s practicing in Canada. In May 2003 the CFPC Board of Directors resolved that osteopathic physicians that have graduated from an AOA accredited College of Osteopathic Medicine and completed a residency through the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) may sit for the CFPC?s Certification Examination in Family Medicine.

To learn more about the requirements to sit for the CFPC?s Certification Examination, please visit the Eligibility Requirements & General Information section of the CFPC Web site at

For further information on both the CPSO and the CFPC related to D.O. practice rights, download this article which discusses the advances made for US-trained D.O. practice rights in Canada.

If you have any further questions please contact Joshua Kerr at [email protected] or (800) 621-1773 x8196.

Members don't see this ad.

sweet....it as it should be.

I was interested in knowing the date this happened...was this is week? Last week? Last month? last year?

Robz said:
sweet....it as it should be.

I was interested in knowing the date this happened...was this is week? Last week? Last month? last year?
Well the date says they met in September 2003 and soon after they adopted the policy. So I'm not sure exactly when the decision was made by Canada.