U Va vs. University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMMS FMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any information on these two programs? Is one better than the other? Cost of living, etc.? I have interviews at both but can only go on one...

Help! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You can check out bestplaces.net for some cost of living data. I'm not sure exactly how reliable it is, but it's better than nothing, and you can probably find other info on COL.

Both Utah and UVA were recently accredited for a full 5 years, so I think you'll be fine at either program. You could probably make the decision based on location preference (east coast vs. mountain west) and personal interests (skiing, snowboarding, fly fishing, hiking, college town, etc) and come out fine.

I haven't heard much about UVA's program, but I've heard Utah is very strong in TEE and ultrasound guided regional anesthesia. Search the forum and see what you find.

so i can't say anything about uva, but i'm a 4th year out at utah. we are very very strong in both tee and regional. a new ortho hospital opened up in the last 3 years or so and they do tons and tons of regional over there. plenty of students do 1-2 months of just tee.

as for the other factors the pd and residency director are just amazing! dr ogden is one of the best people i have ever met. incredibly smart, great teacher, but more than anything - he cares about his residents. he bends over backwards to make sure they are happy and well taken care of. the residents here work hard, no doubt, but having just got back from mgh and penn, they work MUCH harder out east! the residents here at utah are an incredibly happy bunch across the board

plus, skiing is 30 minutes away at world class resorts, amazing red rcok desert but a 3 hour drive south, etc etc.

pm me if you have more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i can't say anything about uva, but i'm a 4th year out at utah. we are very very strong in both tee and regional. a new ortho hospital opened up in the last 3 years or so and they do tons and tons of regional over there. plenty of students do 1-2 months of just tee.

as for the other factors the pd and residency director are just amazing! dr ogden is one of the best people i have ever met. incredibly smart, great teacher, but more than anything - he cares about his residents. he bends over backwards to make sure they are happy and well taken care of. the residents here work hard, no doubt, but having just got back from mgh and penn, they work MUCH harder out east! the residents here at utah are an incredibly happy bunch across the board

plus, skiing is 30 minutes away at world class resorts, amazing red rcok desert but a 3 hour drive south, etc etc.

pm me if you have more specific questions.

do u know by any chance if they ever had a DO resident ?

yeah, at least one of the current ca-3s is a DO. i worked with him in the ICU and he was great.